Loudest aircraft you have ever heard

Started by nomiddlemas, March 10, 2014, 12:22:13 AM

nomiddlemas

What is the loudest aircraft you have ever heard in your life?

SarDragon

AV-8B, doing verticals, about a quarter of a mile away.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

nomiddlemas

Really? I have heard those make quite a sound when the engines hit the pavement.  The loudest I have ever heard was a F-18 with a 300 mph speed pass.  The B-52's were surprisingly quite for their size. 

NIN

5 or 6 F-106s making a "surprise burner pass" at the Selfridge Airshow about 40 years ago.

Oh, crap, I am that old now.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SunDog

:)

RF-4C, ABs lit a few yards away. Long ago, and far away. . .some sounds will never be heard in the world again.

PHall

KC-135A on takeoff roll with the water injection going. About the only thing louder was an F-105 in afterburner!

AirDX

Loud: gaggle of F-111s MITOing at Hickam around the mid 70s.
Louder: Concorde doing touch-n-goes at Oshkosh about 1988.
Loudest: Standing on the LSO platform on the USS Carl Vinson in 1998 recovering F-14s and F/A-18s.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

unmlobo

B-1 buzzing my dorms at Ellsworth AFB and then again on top of a ridge at Philmont Scout Ranch.  Lately one of the loudest was a flight of 8 F-15E's and 4 F-22's that were weathered in.  They wanted to leave and hit the afterburners hardcore, so glad I had earpro.
Major, CAP
HI WG

Bayareaflyer 44

Got to see/hear a SR-71 taking off from the side of the runway at Beale AFB.  WIWAC my ATCFC class was touring the facility, when they rushed us out there for us for that experience.  Fortunate timing, I guess.

Earhart #2546
GRW     #3418

UH60guy

Those friggin French Mirages that took off in pairs at 0200  on afterburners nearly every night at Kandahar. Can't a guy get some sleep?
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

Huey Driver

C-17s in full reverse thrust are pretty noisy when you're up close and personal!
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

bosshawk

I agree on the comment about the RF-4C: was at Bergstrom AFB one night and went out to the end of the runway to watch two of them depart.  Was in a staff Car about 100 ft from those two when they went to Mil Power and lit the burners.  The whole world shook.

Also, a BAC-111 passenger aircraft: the British make some of the loudest aircraft engines in the world.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Flying Pig

Was about 25 yards from 2 F/A-18s departing with afterburners. It was a psychologically altering experience.   The only close second would be the sound of my awesomeness emitting from whatever I'm flying.

Storm Chaser

The F-16 was loud, but I think the T-37 was much louder (at least it seemed to me that way ;)).

Larry Mangum

F-4D's in full afterburner during takeoff.  We transitioned from F-4's to F-16's and the F-16 is significantly quieter than an F-4.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

rugger1869

Lear 20 with straight jets... It hurt your guts it was so loud.

Al Sayre

2 F-14's in full AB doing a supersonic low pass.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

SunDog

On second thought, it might have been a C-172; it quit when I pulled carb heat opposite the touchdown point. That quiet was really, really loud. I could feel it in my "abdomen".