CAP Preflight - Complete ORM and Weight & Balance from iPad

Started by bigfootpilot, July 21, 2013, 03:33:17 AM

SunDog

Concur/confirm A2 & Jeff's remarks.  Wing, NHQ, have no role or responsibility in computing W&B; they're probably too smart to mandate use of a source for W&B that is other than the authoritative data in the airplane. They nearly gave birth when the FAA didn't like the squawk sheets in the airplanes - can't imagine they'd remain concious and up-right if FAA called and asked why they were dictating use of something other than the FAR's called for.

So, there is nothing official or approved about the data in Wing (or other folks) spreadsheets or web sites. It's kinda surprising they have the W&B spreadheets posted on the web sites - I think that's a good thing, and kinda gutty, actually.  Much as I grump, I do appreciate the effort.  I think it's a net gain for safety, and the avaition side of the house knows the data in the airplane is all that counts.

Again, great for planning, and swagging for a mission, but useless for doing a W&B you might have to defend to the FAA, or rely on for getting out of a hot, short runway.

Most of the time, there isn't an issue if you're going out with one or two guys in a C172 or C182 - unless the field is very short, high, and/or it's very hot. You know you're within limits, and performance available. I get a third person, I start doing W&B for real.

JeffDG

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

And after the JeffDG and Eclipse commercial break, we're back  :o :o :o

Anyone have any more app comments  ;D

bigfootpilot

I'm looking for a few folks to help beta test the next generation of iOS apps targeted for CAP members.

What I'm looking for:

• An avid pilot or aircrew member familiar with CAP procedures and regulations.
  • Must have an iPad 2 or later running iOS 6 or later software.  I'm looking for a mix of iOS 6 and 7 testers.
  • A medium level of technical knowledge.  Installing beta software requires special procedures and may not always be straightforward.
  • A willingness to devote time to using the app and providing feedback as to what you like/don't like and any bugs you find along the way.

If this sounds like something you'd be interested in, please send me a message and I will provide further instructions individually.

Thanks for your consideration.

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

SarDragon

Quote from: bigfootpilot on September 27, 2013, 09:25:14 PM
I'm looking for a few folks to help beta test the next generation of iOS apps targeted for CAP members.

What I'm looking for:

• An avid pilot or aircrew member familiar with CAP procedures and regulations.
  • Must have an iPad 2 or later running iOS 6 or later software.  I'm looking for a mix of iOS 6 and 7 testers.
  • A medium level of technical knowledge.  Installing beta software requires special procedures and may not always be straightforward.
  • A willingness to devote time to using the app and providing feedback as to what you like/don't like and any bugs you find along the way.
If this sounds like something you'd be interested in, please send me a message and I will provide further instructions individually.

Thanks for your consideration.

I've passed this on to some local folks who aren't on this forum.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

bigfootpilot

Thanks for all the volunteers - I have enough people for the beta test.  Look for a new product later this month.

Storm Chaser

If you end up needing additional Beta testers, I'm a professional Software Test Engineer. I specialize in military flight planning and squadron operations software.

I have an iPad mini with iOS 7.