What are your Comments w/Promotion requirements for my unit

Started by C. Fuentes-Padilla, April 13, 2015, 11:49:12 PM

C. Fuentes-Padilla

Hi, I'm C/SSgt Fuentes-Padilla, I would like to see your comments on one of my flight members concerns with our squadron's DDR requirements that are attached to the Cadet Programs aspect of our unit. Our unit requires one Activity per month for both months that you are waiting to promote and also requires the standard safety currency as well as a new requirement regarding DDRx Activity currency in order to be eligible to promote.

First off, I will not name who said the information you're about to hear unless required to for their safety and mine.

A Cadet walked up to me after the Squadron NCO meeting and stated he wanted to get something off of his chest about the squadron's way of maintaining interest in the DDRx aspect of it's program. As a new C/NCO I was eager to hear what he had to say and see if at my level I could be of some reassurance or any assistance. After my conversation with my fellow Cadet, I was astonished to hear that not only are the new requirements for promotion a HUGE ISSUE with our Unit's Cadets it has also seemed to rub off on some of the more experienced C/NCO's in our unit. After a brief talk with my Cadet Chain of Command they seemed too busy to realize that one of our C/Senior NCOs was considering leaving the squadron for a transfer to a smaller squadron for this same reason.

I don't really have a say in the regulations on which a member of my unit should be promoted but I figured I should see what others in CAP Cadet Programs thought on the situation.
SM Christopher R. Fuentes-Padilla, CAP
Assistant Personnel Officer
Assistant Information Technologies Officer
Academy Cadet Squadron (NER-NY-147)

abdsp51

OK since this is a new requirement it is not always going to be popular or widely accepted. CAPR52-16 Para 4-4.A states cadets will actively participate in order to promote.  If your CC or CDC put forth this new requirement it's possible they felt something was lacking.  Now with that said you do know that membership transfers are not automatic and a potential gaining commander may contact current commander to find out why someone is transferring. 

IMO sounds to me like your unit has been given a "free pass" per say on promotions and this is something put in place to create a more solid program. 

I think your C/CC needs to talk to the CDC or the CC and get a more in depth explanation as to why. 

LSThiker

Since CAPR 52-16 does not define what "actively participate" means, it is up to the commander to make that call.  I think most commanders just go with participate in 1 activity per achievement.  However, if your commander feels cadets should attend DDRx activities, then that is his/her call.  Sounds like a heart-to-heart is needed by the cadet commander with the senior staff. 

Tim Day

I'm curious as to what is meant by "DDRx Activity Currency". It seems like requiring a DDRx activity participation may go a bit beyond the 52-16 and may open your unit up to some compliance inspection questions.

Other than that, I recommend units create an operating instruction that documents these local policies so that everyone (if they read the OI) can be aware and so that they can be enforced consistently. If you follow the procedure for an OI, your next echelon in command will be provided a copy for review and can weight in on any requirements they think are excessive.

I noted you were astonished regarding the pushback from your fellow cadets. Is that because achieving the requirement isn't hard to do in your squadron because there are ample DDRx opportunities?

As a C/SSgt you are at the leadership level where I would expect you to start picking up on some of the leadership challenges ongoing in your unit (which it looks like you are) and start discerning whether there are good reasons for those challenges. Are cadets not able to promote because DDRx opportunities are not available? That would be a classic requirement not aligned with resources issue, that is, an advancement requirement is actually serving as a barrier to advancement because it's impossible to meet it. On the other hand, there are often irrational negative reactions to change that as an NCO you could be helping lead people through. You could explain to your cadets how DDRx is an important CAP mission and that the requirement is a way of ensuring cadet leadership is equipped to carry out that mission.

Keep in mind your senior cadet NCO may be leaving because he or she is disgruntled at completely separate issues and the DDRx requirement is just a convenient item on which to place the blame.

Bottom line, the conversation you had with your cadet and with your chain of command is exactly the right behavior for a new C/NCO. Now you may need to find appropriate ways to bring this to your C/CC's attention (they were too busy at the moment you mentioned it, but perhaps enlisting your flight commander's or first sergeant's help).
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

Storm Chaser

As long as your unit is providing ample DDRx opportunities, I don't see the problem. These can be used to meet the active participation and character development requirements for promotion. So, what is the issue exactly with having to participate in these activities?

If there's more to the story, I would consult with you deputy commander for cadets or squadron commander, assuming you already talked to your cadet commander and he couldn't address this issue to your satisfaction. There's nothing wrong with asking the question or making them aware of a potential situation. While the chain of command is important, it's not so rigid that issues or questions have to stop at the cadet level.