Weight loss IAW...

Started by NelsonJM, December 02, 2012, 02:19:35 AM

NelsonJM

just a question, does anybody have ideas on how to lose weight (for wrestling) IAW CAPP 52-18?

NelsonJM

reason to ask is that:
i'm a first year wrestler, and i figger there has got to be a better way than not eating or dehydrating before a match, such as some counterparts on the team.

lordmonar

The one and only key to weight loss......eat less....exercise more.

See your physician for detailed informaiton and what aids he/she may have that can help you.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

coudano

neh wrestling is a strange bird...
you want to be stronger, but weigh less (muscle weighs more than fat)

that's a different thing than just losing weight (which most people take to mean, reducing fat)

i'm not going to pretend to understand how wrestlers do it, there is a lot of thought behind wrestling management.  But i've seen relatives in behaviors from wrestling that I don't think anybody would call "healthy".  Of course health isn't the point of wrestling.  Winning, by making weight, being strong, and having technical skills is.  So take that for what it's worth.

MSG Mac

Don't start a weight loss program without consulting with a physician.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Flying Pig

Good observation.  You are right, there are better ways.  I cringe when I see high school guys sitting around spitting into trash cans all day.  And why their coaches dont step up and deal with it is even worse.

Dehydrating your body is a great way to lose strength and endurance in the middle of a wrestling match.  Cardio and hydration will actually cause you to lose weight.  if you want to drop weight, learn to swim for fitness and hit the pool for 3000-4000 yards a couple times per week.  After a couple months of swimming like that you will emerge a ripped beast if you combine that with the weight room as well. 

I am 37yrs old, 6', 190.  About 2 months ago I hit 210 and felt like crap.  I did a 6 week "cleanse".  No pills or wild stuff.  Just blended fruit and veggie shakes in the mornining.  veggies, chicken or fish for lunch and a decent soup for dinner with a side salad and drank water constantly.  In that span I lost 15 lbs.  during that time I was working out...actually, not even very hard, and have since kept losing weight because I no longer have a craving for garbage.  As "Stonewall" has posted many times, fitness needs to become a lifestyle, and you cant live the rest of your life on veggie shakes and fish.  It was really a way to show how much people eat and just pack themselves full of carbs and calories.  I was able to take my portions WAY down.  I think most people would be very surprised to learn how little food their body actually needs.  I can guaratnee its way less than you probably consume on a daily basis. 

Here I am about 3 months later and I have no craving for sodas, eating a cheesburger and fries is the farthest thing from my mind.  I go to a restaurant and instead of the meatloaf and mashed potoatoes and dinner rolls, I get a cobb salad, light dressing and eat half of the garlic toast.

Obviously, you arent married.....  But now when we go to dinner, my wife and I have found that by splitting a meal, or splitting something with the kids #1 we save a ton of $$, #2 we get up from the table we feel great and not all bloated #3 the kids get to order off of the adult menu! ;D.

Anyway.... Im not a wrestler, but try and avoid all of that stuff.  if you want to drop weight, dehydrating isnt the way.  Now.....  Im not suggesting you down a gallon of water before you weigh in though either!

NelsonJM

Fantastic :-) that is actually the info i need, or rather the type. Consider your advice taken well, sir!