Main Menu

CAP Volunteer Article

Started by etodd, April 14, 2019, 07:50:16 PM

etodd

Larry Mangum stated:
QuoteIf etodd wants to discuss the article that is in the Volunteer, I am happy to leave this topic open. However, if he wants to go off on a path and encourage people to go off on unapproved tangents, then this topic will be locked. We will be monitoring to see how this goes.

I do apologize if anything I have said leads people to think they should "go off on unapproved tangents".   The last sentence of how I started the last post should have made it clear:

QuoteIf you want to be involved, contact your Wing's DOU and start training.

Emphasis mine.  I have never said to go roque. There ARE guidelines to follow and you should get them from your Wing DOU.

The article is in an approved CAP publications, so if my assumption that everything within is NOT approved by Hqds, then someone please let me know that the publication isn't reliable.

So lets look at the article. I have mentioned that the F5u, F91u, CAPR 70-1u are being used and people here argue the point. Well here is what the publication stated:

QuoteSpecific guidelines for mission capability as well as flight evaluation check- offs are still being developed, though they are being used in draft form.
Emphasis mine.

Some say that National hasn't rolled out the program yet ... but the article states:

QuoteOnce a wing has five UAS pilots and five UAS technicians, it gets initial operational capacity from CAP; once it reaches 10 of each, it's granted full operational capacity.
"We've already got multiple wings at that point, giving us a regional and national operational capacity right now," Worcester said.

"operational capacity right now" .... its not coming ... its here.

Another exciting quote:

QuoteCAP is the largest operator of sUAS in the country, with over 1,200 Federal Aviation Administration registered small UAS — a number that's on the rise. CAP is investing additional time and resources to expand the program, and things are moving even faster
than anticipated, as Worcester explained.

I'll stop at this point.  Hundreds of people have viewed these threads and posts, and anyone interested has all the info they need to be a part of this exciting new program.  There is nothing new for me to add. Mission accomplished in doing my part to help get the ball rolling. And as the article states ... its happening now. :)

See ya!
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Gunsotsu

The naysayers will continue to naysay, even when proven to be wrong.

Fubar

Quote from: etodd on April 14, 2019, 07:50:16 PM
I do apologize if anything I have said leads people to think they should "go off on unapproved tangents".   The last sentence of how I started the last post should have made it clear:

QuoteIf you want to be involved, contact your Wing's DOU and start training.

Emphasis mine.  I have never said to go roque rogue. There ARE guidelines to follow and you should get them from your Wing DOU.

Going straight to wing is going rouge rogue for most people in CAP. There is a chain of command to follow.

It would be nice to have a nationally-published program that everyone could follow without having to seek out some specific person in your wing who may have the secret spell book.

etodd - Since you're so tied into the new program (and I mean this without any internet sarcasm), perhaps you can find out why nothing is being published?
[FTFY]

etodd

Quote from: Fubar on April 15, 2019, 05:32:24 AM

... perhaps you can find out why nothing is being published?

At our Wing's Conference this month, we were told from people at Hdqs, that the IT department is down to one person currently, who has a VERY full plate just trying to keep the systems going and rolling out eServices 2.0.  Hence the quote in the article I quoted above about how they are having to use all the docs in draft form, and doing everything on paper. No real timetable for when all of this will show up in eServices or WMIRS.

There are customer missions that are starting up this month. Hence the rush to roll out, online or not.

Pace

Since customers are starting requests this month, might I offer an alternate suggestion then. We cannot go off of heresay or drafts on an unofficial forum. We just cannot. Since you are so involved with the program, why not have the involved wings send out an email to their members soliciting seriously interested and financially capable volunteers. Those wings could then provide the draft material in the most official way possible at the moment (someone officially appointed as a staff officer in the member's chain of command with authority over this program). It's only inviting ill feelings and disaster to continue to push so hard on this site.

For example, are all wings ramped up and ready for the influx of emails from interested members? Are all wings even involved yet? Is this program completely out of beta/field testing yet, and are all the kinks worked out? Does each wing fully understand the program, it's scope, the opportunities it opens up, how this is operationally distinct from our current air assets (i.e., what missions are approriate for an aircraft vs a uav)? Does each wing have a subject matter expert appointed to lead this program and guide interested members?
Lt Col, CAP

etodd

Quote from: Pace on April 15, 2019, 01:47:29 PM

It's only inviting ill feeling and disaster to continue to push so hard on this site.

You may be correct. If I'm seeming pushy, it has never been my intent. I've just been an "interested party", not part of any command, who has been helping answer questions from other interested folks.

As I said at the top ^^^ I've shared all I know to share. I'll answer anyone's questions, but will stop being such a 'cheerleader' if that is appearing to be pushy.

Thanks for the heads up. I do appreciate it.

Fubar

Quote from: etodd on April 15, 2019, 01:32:16 PM
Quote from: Fubar on April 15, 2019, 05:32:24 AM

... perhaps you can find out why nothing is being published?

At our Wing's Conference this month, we were told from people at Hdqs, that the IT department is down to one person currently, who has a VERY full plate just trying to keep the systems going and rolling out eServices 2.0.  Hence the quote in the article I quoted above about how they are having to use all the docs in draft form, and doing everything on paper. No real timetable for when all of this will show up in eServices or WMIRS.

There are customer missions that are starting up this month. Hence the rush to roll out, online or not.

Having the IT portion completed has no bearing on a properly publicized program. There should be a webpage at NHQ which explains the program, has the regulation posted (even if in draft form), and provides copies of all the paperwork needed to fulfill the mission. The fact the IT department is backed up doesn't prevent the NHQ/DO from formally activating the program.

I think it's a good thing that they're moving forward regardless of what IT is doing. The number of times projects have flat out stopped because IT can't get around to it is staggering. Paper forms have worked for years, plus it gives the program an opportunity to mature before the IT folks start working on it (versus getting something partially working and then realize big changes are needed).

Telling people to contact wing directly is not the proper way to handle this.

chuckmilam

Quote from: Fubar on April 15, 2019, 02:13:07 PM
The number of times projects have flat out stopped because IT can't get around to it is staggering.

...and concerning on multiple levels. 

Gunsotsu

Involved wings have already sent out emails to interested/qualified personnel.

The future is here. Adapt.

Alaric

Quote from: Gunsotsu on April 15, 2019, 04:41:06 PM
Involved wings have already sent out emails to interested/qualified personnel.

The future is here. Adapt.
Really, I havent gotten an email and I am both interested and qualified

BJD

All wings CCs were asked to appoint a POC to work with NHQ on the sUAS program and appoint a DOU to implement.  Not all of the resources have been equally distributed.  These individuals will make the program happen for their wing based on several factors.  Please don't encourage every interested member to start contacting their wing DO for more information.  When the wing is ready for implementation, the information will be distributed.

OldGuy

All Washington Wing Members,

Since my last update we have seen some draft documents coming from the National sUAS Program.  They include:
A draft of CAPR 70-1U  CIVIL AIR PATROL sUAS FLIGHT MANAGEMENT
Additions to CAPR 60-3 CAP EMERGENCY SERVICES TRAINING AND OPERATIONAL MISSIONS, SMALL UNMANNED AERIAL SYSTEM ADDITIONS
A draft of CAPF 5U CAP sUAS PILOT FLIGHT EVALUATION
A draft of CAPF 5Q-U sUAS CAPF 5U QUESTIONNAIRE
And Drafts of SQTR's for sUAS Technician and sUAS Mission Pilot.

The our team of instructors has been constructing training programs to get this new information out to anyone interested in becoming a sUAS crew member.

Our plan is to have our first class for sUAS Technician at WAMA on 9 & 10 march 2019.  This will be a small group to review the fine details of the course and give input back to improve the course.  I am looking for 2 or 3 senior members that are willing to be at WAMA for those 2 days and be part of the review of the training course.  The next offering will be at FEST 23 & 24 March.  This will be a little larger group 5 to 10 that can include cadets.  More sUAS Technician courses will be done through out the rest of the year as needed.

Please email me directly if you want to attend either the WAMA class on 9 & 10 March or the FEST class on 23 & 24 March.

Once we have several sUAS Technicians ready we will start the sUAS Mission Pilot training in April location TBD.

There will be opportunities for AE personnel that want to fly drones at the unit level to learn the new requirements.  Look for regional clinics and sessions at Spring Conference.

etodd

Fantastic news OldGuy! Nice to see your Wing jumping into this full bore with the approved info given by Hqds, and not waiting for eServices or WMIRS to catch up to us. It'll be there one day, but for now we have lots of training to do.  😁

OldGuy

Quote from: etodd on April 16, 2019, 02:53:49 AM
Fantastic news OldGuy! Nice to see your Wing jumping into this full bore with the approved info given by Hqds, and not waiting for eServices or WMIRS to catch up to us. It'll be there one day, but for now we have lots of training to do.  😁
Yep. Thanks for being the "point of the spear" here, I know that you have taken fire but, good job team-mate, good job!