Navy drone goes rouge, violates DC airspace

Started by vmstan, August 26, 2010, 01:27:35 PM

vmstan

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/26/us/26drone.html?_r=2&partner=rss&emc=rss
http://gizmodo.com/5622500/navy-lost-control-of-drone-over-dc-due-to-software-issue

QuoteA software malfunction caused the Navy to lose control of one for half an hour earlier this month, letting it joyride over Washington D.C.

The charmingly named, 31-foot-long MQ-8B Fire Scout Vertical Takeoff and Landing unmanned aerial vehicle was flying at an altitude of 2,000 feet on August 2 when the Navy completely lost control of the craft due to, they say, a "software issue." It continued, guided only by its own probably-evil robot brain, for about half an hour, flying 23 miles into restricted airspace. The Navy re-established control when the drone was just 40 miles from the nation's capital.

Thankfully, the incident has prompted the Navy to ground all six of its Fire Scout drones while they figure out what happened.

The drone should be put down, no idea how much Skynet was able to corrupt it  >:D

Edit: Sorry I also had to repost what one of the Gizmodo people replied.

QuoteDrones in the Navy

In the Navy
Yes, we use drones to fight our wars
In the Navy
Cause we're afraid to fight ourselves
In the Navy
Come on now, people, take a seat
In the Navy, in the Navy
Can't you see that we need our hands
In the Navy
To fly these drones across the land
In the Navy
Oh [sheet], I think we lost control
In the Navy
Where the drones have minds of their own
In the Navy, in the Navy, drones in the Navy
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

Cms.sloane

NC Hokie

Quote from: Cms.sloane on August 26, 2010, 01:46:51 PM
Sir I agree. I would have shot it down.
Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what SkyNet WANTS us to do.  Flaming wreckage near the Capitol or White House would go a long way towards convincing the public that people are simply not qualified to operate today's high tech military equipment.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

SARTAC Medic

We need to remember that the machines want us to distrust our own judgement.  I agree, shooting it down would have just added to the argument that we are not capable of handling technology.
NY Wing SARTAC

a2capt

Quote from: Cms.sloane on August 26, 2010, 01:46:51 PMSir I agree. I would have shot it down.
Of course.. "Missile to Nose" .. Gotta remember, what is this thing going to do? Nothing. Big deal. Figure out what went wrong and move on. Learn from it. Unless you believe the news media saying that it was going to get compromised and used against us because of a $25 software program ...

RiverAux

A good example of why we need to empower the machines to make their own decisions...

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: RiverAux on August 26, 2010, 07:07:06 PM
A good example of why we need to empower the machines to make their own decisions...

They do have that in a limited capacity already. The drones often operate on their own for periods of half to an hour or so.

vmstan

MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

Eclipse

I suppose in this day and age it is OK if a drone wants to "do my color thing", who are we to say.  Personally, I think a little base makeup and some lipstick is probably enough.

Now, if it has gone "rogue", that would have been dangerous!

"That Others May Zoom"

♠SARKID♠

a2capt