Reposition Cadet Airman/NCO Grade Insignia

Started by MIKE, March 10, 2007, 05:29:58 PM

Should CAP change the placement of Cadet Airman/NCO insignia on shirts/blouses and outerwear to match that of the USAF?

Yes - Reposition the grade.
22 (51.2%)
No - Leave it alone.
21 (48.8%)

Total Members Voted: 43

MIKE

See:  AFI36-2903 Figure 2.13. for examples.

Edit:  See also: AFOATSI 36-2001 Attachments for some other options, particularly when wearing the tie/tab with the shirt/blouse.

This could also apply to SM NCOs wearing metal chevrons on outerwear.

Orientation of CAP cutout(s) (if worn) would not change.
Mike Johnston

DNall

Interesting. I don't know. Seems like yes is the obvious answer, but I don't know.

MIKE

Bump.

Looks like a tie as of this posting.  Just to be clear, I am not advocating a return to cadets wearing cloth chevrons on the sleeves... Just repositioning the metal chevrons on the collars of the uniforms.
Mike Johnston

RogueLeader

Opps, I thought it was going to cloth chevrons, not turning them.  my new answer is "no" leave them as they are.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

ddelaney103

I was at the AF Museum at WPAFB and a crowd of AFJROTC worked their way through the cafeteria while I was having lunch.

The had to be the saddest troops I'd seen in a long time.  The worst thing was they had no consensus on how to wear the pin-on stripes. I saw the stripes pointed to point of the collar and wore parallel to the leading edge.  I also saw little consistency on distances to edge of the collar.

On the end I don't care which system we use, as long as it is consistently used.

DNall

^absolutely... that's actually the one reason I'd consider changing it. If AF personnel saw how we do it & felt it was wrong cause the way they do pin on enlisted grade is obviously right from their perception & we don't know what we're doing... well then it makes sense to be consistent with them & AFJROTC both. I don't tend to think that's the case at this point though.

Flying Pig

I say leave it like it is. 

Side note.   Some of the NCO's they use in that manual have more medals than Patton!

jimmydeanno

I guess I'm a little confused as to what you mean...looking at Figure 2.13 in the reference provided...

First Row: Service Coat - The cadets have shoulder boards, so that wouldn't apply.

Second Row: Light Weight Jacket - Is this what you're refering to?

Third Row: Sleeves (BDU and Service Coat Enlisted)-They don't wear stripes on their sleeves.

Fourth Row: BDU/"DCU" Shirt Officer - This is how they wear them.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

MIKE

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 24, 2007, 03:48:00 PM
Second Row: Light Weight Jacket - Is this what you're refering to?

Yes, also the overcoat placement just below it.
Mike Johnston

jimmydeanno

As stated above, if the thing that we are going for is 'consistency' then we need to ask ourselves, "Is it consistency that we are transfering from the USAF to CAP, or just CAP consistency."

IMO, most people favor wearing similar items the same way the Air Force does.  IMO this helps with uniform identification in terms of where to look for things, and whether or not things are being worn correctly.

Whether we like it or not, CAP members are often confused with members of the AF.  When seen in a group, all wearing the same uniform, having those variances do not provide a uniform appearance. 

I say make the alignment change, it's not a huge modification such as changing the insignia itself, just where it's placed.  Cost to members = $0.00 and it will help make an appearance of uniformity in the same style uniforms.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

mikeylikey

^^^  Agreed!  This would be one of the simplest and easiest changes yet.  Just have NHQ type up a new change letter and add it to the pile they have already.  No big deal.
What's up monkeys?