When going to a SAREX, what do most people do?

Started by Hawk200, November 10, 2018, 01:43:16 PM

Do they show up with gear for their highest qualification or only for specific positions?

All the gear for their highest qualification.
0 (0%)
Just the gear for a specific position.
14 (58.3%)
All the gear needed for ALL their qualifications.
10 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: November 17, 2018, 01:43:16 PM

Hawk200

This is curiosity, I'm wondering how people go to SAREXs.

For example, say a person is both a current Observer, and is UDF team rated. Would most people show up in a flight suit with everything they would need to fly as an observer (clipboards, headsets, ear pro, etc.), or would they make prior arrangements and maybe be "pre-slotted" (can't think of a better term at the moment) as a UDF member, and only bring the gear for that?

I know those aren't the only two quals there are, there are many staff positions as well that might actually require people to bring their own supplies as well, so I'm considering that too.

Just kind of wondering what the typical reporting in looks like. What do most people do?

Stonewall

If it was the difference between being aircrew or breaking bbrush as a GTL, I'd pack for the specific job I was planning to perform.  Although I can be flexible, and would be willing to take on whatever task I'm assigned during a REDCAP (real mission), for a SAREX I would plan and prepare to perform in a specific area. Mainly because it's usally pre-planned. 

It would be rare for a SAREX to be scheduled and not know who was doing what. That said, Semper Gumby!
Serving since 1987.

etodd

Maybe it varies by Wing?  When we sign up online for a SAREX, we specify the job we want to do. But yes, once there I'll do whats needed.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Briank

Quote from: etodd on November 10, 2018, 04:39:00 PM
Maybe it varies by Wing?  When we sign up online for a SAREX, we specify the job we want to do. But yes, once there I'll do whats needed.

Last one I went to, I was geared up for aircrew but ended up working the comm trailer instead despite our signup.  So, it can be handy to have all the stuff.  However, space limitations can also come into play so I normally just take what I expect to do.

Fubar

I know a couple of folks who let ES qualifications lapse because they got tired of being "stuck" with certain jobs time after time. It's hard to be assigned something other that your desired job if you're only qualified in your desired job.

jeders

I'm qualified in mission base, aircrew, and ground qualifications; so if I were to arrive with equipment for every specialty, I would need a MUCH larger vehicle. Generally, I will pack for what I'm planning on doing/evaluating.

That said, I try make as much of my gear multi-purpose capable. This way, even if I don't pack my ground team gear because I'm planning on doing MO, I can at least survive for a short UDF sortie without degrading the performance of the team.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

NovemberWhiskey

Quote from: jeders on November 12, 2018, 02:15:17 PM
I'm qualified in mission base, aircrew, and ground qualifications; so if I were to arrive with equipment for every specialty, I would need a MUCH larger vehicle.

I suppose it depends what qualifications exactly; but I think the last exercise I wore my ABUs, had my 24 hour ground team bag, plus my headset and iPad kneeboard (for Foreflight). I think I had everything necessary for GTM3/UDF/MS/MSA/MRO other than equipment I'd expect to get issued (like DF).

CAP9907

I've found that once you get to section chief and above, 'they' rarely let you play in the field or in the air...

I bring a polo, tablet, and clipboard.
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

etodd

Quote from: CAP9907 on November 13, 2018, 01:49:31 AM
I've found that once you get to section chief and above, 'they' rarely let you play in the field or in the air...

I bring a polo, tablet, and clipboard.

Thanks for your service at Mission Base, so guys like me can work in the air or on the ground, knowing where to go, what to look for, etc.

etodd

I'm qualified in mission base, aircrew, and ground qualifications; so if I were to arrive with equipment for every specialty, I would need a MUCH larger vehicle. Generally, I will pack for what I'm planning on doing/evaluating.

I'm really having trouble envisioning this. For aircrew a small flight bag will hold most everything you need, maybe a camera case added.  So for ground team you must be bringing a huge amount? We are talking SAREX, so its not like you need a two week supply of food and more. You'll be with other members and outside for just a few hours at most.

Holding Pattern

I bring everything I need for mission base or for ground ops. Only both if there is a chance people will need spares.

I'm working up a much bigger mission base kit though until such time as ground team becomes more common in our area. I'm maintaining ground quals for the sole purpose of gaining SET to help get more people ready.

hfriday

As a "new guy," I am working on a few qualifications at once, primarily by chance. Though my main focus is on MS en route to MO, the first SAREX I attended had no room in the airplane for me, so I got assigned to a ground team. We did this and that, and the IC signed me off on those tasks. So, I want to work on consolidating that stuff rather than just have them expire. The long-term goal is to get into incident command for our neck of the woods, so I'm gonna need all these quals eventually.

Communication between my squadron in the boonies and the wing HQ at the opposite corner of our (admittedly small!) state has been a little spotty, so for my second SAREX this coming weekend, I'll throw my 24-hour GTM bag and ABUs and flight bag in the car, and wear a flightsuit. Wherever they put me is where they put me, but I'd hate to be just standing around for lack of equipment that might get me out on some kind of sortie.

....so, yeah, it seems like this varies widely from place to place.

jeders

Quote from: etodd on November 13, 2018, 02:41:48 AM

I'm really having trouble envisioning this. For aircrew a small flight bag will hold most everything you need, maybe a camera case added.  So for ground team you must be bringing a huge amount? We are talking SAREX, so its not like you need a two week supply of food and more. You'll be with other members and outside for just a few hours at most.

For aircrew I have a mid-size flight bag with tablet, kneeboard, headset, radio scanner, and a few other things.

For GT I have 72-hr gear and a sniffer, most all of which fits nicely on my back.

Mission base I have seen people with paper, binders, forms, paper, laptop, paper, MFP, and more paper because people keep wanting to act like the ICP is going to be in the middle of the woods and we won't be able to do anything electronic. Though at this point, I can do 95% of what I need for mission staff with a tablet; the other 5% I need a proper laptop with a mouse and keyboard (because I can't stand typing comm logs with a tablet).

So, as I said, if I pack for EVERY qualification at the standard level, it would overload me quickly; instead, I merely pack for what I expect to do. "Oh, you want me to be a radio operator? Sorry, I don't have the necessary gear. Guess I'm gonna have to go out in the field with the ground team."
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

pejoenc

Typically the observer/scanners and pilots are paired together in the units (But not always) They wear flight suits or bdus. When I know I am doing comm I wear the blues (Better public image because the press is usually there for actual missions)

I have seen a lot of golf type shirts/grey pants but I don't think that looks professional on a actual mission because the
press is usually there.

The procedure is very structured. You get called (Some squadrons call everyone qualified, some just call the scheduled on-call
flights) You show up and sign in showing Your current qualifications and current ID. From there I usually tell them I want comm or scanner/photographer which I am qualified for. I stay out of the way until called or help with anything that I can do like get meals arranged/drinks etc. There is always a LOT of ways to help. When asked to do scanner I show up at the sign in table and the pilot does most of the paperwork and checks out Your currency. We then get a sortie number and leave to inspect the plane TOGETHER. I watch the pilot checking out everything but say nothing unless He missed a step. We get in the plane which is now a sterile area (NO TALKING) My job is to scan for aircraft in the area and downed planes. When I am in the comm room My job is to direct the aircraft where to go, relay any messages from the mission Commander to the ground team or aircraft and keep track of all aircraft and ground teams which must call in every 15 minutes. If they don't a search for THEM can be conducted in case they had an accident. Civil air patrol is very thorough in their paperwork but I think the 2.5 hrs launch time from notice to launch is too long. MANY moon ago We had to be at base within 30 min. When I was a cadet We had lights and sirens but times have changed and that was a different state.

Fubar

Quote from: pejoenc on March 22, 2019, 09:11:43 PM
Typically the observer/scanners and pilots are paired together in the units (But not always) They wear flight suits or bdus. When I know I am doing comm I wear the blues (Better public image because the press is usually there for actual missions)

(SNIP)

For new folks who happen to discover this post, I'd like to point out this is not the "standard" for CAP nationwide. It's by no means wrong in any way, just it's how it's done in pejoenc's area.

For example, in my area we create independent aircrews by sortie, nobody ever wears BDUs or flight suits in the plane, we don't requite check-ins over the radio every 15 minutes, and I've never seen anyone show up in blues for a training or real mission.

Again, I'm not saying anything is wrong, just that CAP operations can vary somewhat from state-to-state (and sometimes even within the state).

Spam

Quote from: Fubar on March 23, 2019, 08:36:09 PM
Quote from: pejoenc on March 22, 2019, 09:11:43 PM

(SNIP)

For new folks who happen to discover this post, I'd like to point out this is not the "standard" for CAP nationwide. It's by no means wrong in any way, just it's how it's done in pejoenc's area.

For example, in my area we create independent aircrews by sortie, nobody ever wears BDUs or flight suits in the plane, we don't requite check-ins over the radio every 15 minutes, and I've never seen anyone show up in blues for a training or real mission.

Again, I'm not saying anything is wrong, just that CAP operations can vary somewhat from state-to-state (and sometimes even within the state).

That's a fair point (local variation). For the hurricane ops last fall here in GA Wing, the commanders guidance was for all personnel to please wear polos for comfort, consistency, and to avoid even the appearance of distracting USAF style uniform compliance issues (focus on the business, not the clothes). Staff, aircrew... everyone in blue polos.

On the other hand, we deployed formed crews from the north part of the Wing (not locally assigned), and that's how we intend to work Wing level exercises: practice deploying South and East as teams/crews just as we would in an actual DR mission.

R/S
Spam

(PS. some of y'all have been asking... thanks for the best wishes. The wifes transplant and my own surgery went ok, and I'll be back visiting units and PTing with cadets soon).