Main Menu

TXWG Command Shakeup

Started by Matthew Congrove, September 02, 2015, 07:27:01 AM

Matthew Congrove

While checking eServices tonight I noticed that Col. Hudson is no longer listed as TXWG CC. The CAP Command Staff list also shows a Lt. Col. Crandall as an interim wing commander.

I just transferred into TXWG a few months ago, and am apparently not on any of the mailing lists yet. Did I miss something?...
Lt. Col. Matthew Congrove, CAP

jeders

Quote from: Matthew Congrove on September 02, 2015, 07:27:01 AM
Did I miss something?...

Yes, but don't worry, so did everyone else. I was talking to Col. Hudson Saturday at the National Conference while he was still wing commander. By the time I went to bed Sunday the Vice Commander Lt Col Sean Crandall had been named Interim Commander. An email went out to the wing from Lt Col Crandall with very little explanation and no one that I've talked to knows anything. So, until someone who knows what happened comes forward, we're all just in the dark trying to get our jobs done.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

jdh

There were a few Wing CC that were asked to step down at the conference. We just had a briefing over it at our squadron last night. Here in TX wing there was a finance mess that was inherited from the outgoing Wing staff and it wasnt straightened out fast enough after the change of command. Since it wasnt corrected the Wing CC was asked to step down. Or at least that is the briefing we received.

jeders

That's what a few of us had thought might have been the case, but it was just rumor for us so I didn't want to speculate on here.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Matthew Congrove

Thanks for the info you two. Looking again at the NHQ list for wing commanders, it looks like Alaska, Arkansas, Hawaii and Texas all went through this change... which certainly fits with general unhappiness from NHQ and not a scandal :)

jdh

Quote from: jeders on September 02, 2015, 04:58:40 PM
That's what a few of us had thought might have been the case, but it was just rumor for us so I didn't want to speculate on here.

We were briefed by the CC and Legal Officer based off the info they received from Wing. It was also a warning that the three things in CAP that will get you removed from a position 9 times out of 10 and could cause you to receive civil penalties are Financial issues, Safety violations, and equipment accountability.

JeffDG

Quote from: jdh on September 02, 2015, 05:17:55 PM
Quote from: jeders on September 02, 2015, 04:58:40 PM

We were briefed by the CC and Legal Officer based off the info they received from Wing. It was also a warning that the three things in CAP that will get you removed from a position 9 times out of 10 and could cause you to receive civil penalties are Financial issues, Safety violations, and equipment accountability.

When I took on a wing DC role, I was told "Communications, Logistics and Finance are the three jobs where you can go to jail if you do it wrong enough"

ricwalters

All of your speculating is doing nothing but harm the reputations of others. Anyone who says they know the reasons behind the changes of command is just spreading rumors. If, and when, the Region Commanders deem it appropriate to release the reasons those Wing Commanders were relieved, I'm sure they will. Until then, it's inappropriate, unprofessional, and unethical to "guess" what happened - and that applies to the Commanders and Legal Officers who were "briefed" by Wing staff and delivered the content of those briefings to their units.

Matthew Congrove

Quote from: ricwalters on September 03, 2015, 08:21:08 PM
All of your speculating is doing nothing but harm the reputations of others.

I'd have to disagree with that one. Due to the lack of communication from higher up, rumors much worse were beginning to pop up. After witnessing the Pineda mess first-hand back in the day, the sudden and quiet departure of the Wing CC immediately led me to believe someone screwed up... bad. I can attest that others at the local level thought the same.

Instead, those who replied to this thread explained that, likely, it was a more routine affair. It also led to the information that it wasn't just TXWG that this occurred in, furthering that idea. The only person who replied with any "speculation" received that information from his chain of command; everyone else just provided facts. I'd say this thread is the best example of how to discuss matters along this line; if you disagree, go read the threads from 2007.

Speaking of speculating, who's to say that the CC and Legal Officer were told not to pass the information on? Now you're making guesses.

THRAWN

A Texas Wing shakeup? Has it really been a year already?
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

LSThiker

Quote from: Matthew Congrove on September 03, 2015, 08:37:42 PM
Speaking of speculating, who's to say that the CC and Legal Officer were told not to pass the information on? Now you're making guesses.

Just as a fair warning, Ric Walters is the Group IV Commander (TXWG)

Both you and ricwalters make valid points.  Speculation is never good.  Using facts is vital.  The real question is where does jdh and his CC & Legal Officer fall into this conversation.  Does he sit at Wing?  Region?  Group?  Squadron.  How reliable are the facts presented to him by his CC & Legal Officer?  All rhetorical questions that I do not really expect an answer to, especially in a public forum. 

Nevertheless, I would agree.  It appears to be the administrative changes that happen frequently in CAP but always seem to raise some sort of conspiracy, especially after "he who shall not be named" fiasco. 

Matthew Congrove

Quote from: LSThiker on September 03, 2015, 08:46:24 PMDoes he sit at Wing?  Region?  Group?  Squadron.  How reliable are the facts presented to him by his CC & Legal Officer?

I don't think it really matters any more to this thread. jdh's information that other Wing CCs stepped down led us to the path to finding out that 4 wings lost their CC, which in my mind should squash any rumors of impropriety :)

As an aside, I didn't start this thread looking for rumors... not my style. I just wasn't aware we even had a command change and was hoping to verify that eServices was accurate and maybe get a copy of any notice sent from TXWG. Then again, as a PAO, it's always nice to hear what's on the grapevine so as to be prepared for any questions along those lines. 'Crisis Communications Plan' and all.

LSThiker

Quote from: Matthew Congrove on September 03, 2015, 08:56:57 PM
Quote from: LSThiker on September 03, 2015, 08:46:24 PMDoes he sit at Wing?  Region?  Group?  Squadron.  How reliable are the facts presented to him by his CC & Legal Officer?

I don't think it really matters any more to this thread.

Exactly, which is why I do not expect any answers to those questions.  However, in general, when evaluating statements, those are questions one must ask in order to appropriately judge those statements for validity. 

jeders

Quote from: THRAWN on September 03, 2015, 08:39:00 PM

About 4 months actually.

THRAWN

Quote from: jeders on September 03, 2015, 09:10:10 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on September 03, 2015, 08:39:00 PM

About 4 months actually.

Time does fly, doesn't it....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023