Specialty Track Badge Command Pin

Started by LSThiker, September 01, 2015, 04:38:46 AM

LSThiker

I have a question as I have seen numerous set ups for this.  When wearing a specialty badge in the "2nd" position, which is located 1.5 inches below the nameplate on the service jacket, and a command pin the graduate position (below the nameplate), how are the two setup?

CAPM 39-1 is not clear on this. 

Quote from: 4.1.5.4.4.3
If a member is a graduated commander, centered below the nametag between the nametag and the button of the right pocket flap
*Clearly this is wrong as the new service jackets do not have a pocket flap.

Quote from: 4.1.5.4.4.2
The second badge will be worn on the wearer's right 1 1/2 inch below the nametag

Within the command pin section, it states when a person wears the command pin and the specialty badge above the nametag.  That is, the command is 1/2 in above the plate and the specialty badge is 1/2 in above that. 

So for under the nametag, do you wear the command pin 1/2 in below with the specialty track 1.5 in below the command pin?  Or do you wear the command pin 1/2 in below the plate and the specialty badge 1.5 in below the nameplate?  If the later, then the command pin looks really close to the specialty badge.

--Edit:  Corrected my autocorrected spellings

jeders

When worn below the nametag, the position of the command insignia and specialty track badge are independent from each other. Center the the command badge where it would be if there was a pocket flap (about 1/4" below the nametag) and then wear the specialty track badge 1.5" below the nametag.

Quote from: LSThiker on September 01, 2015, 04:38:46 AM
...then the command pin looks really close to the specialty badge.

Yep, it sure does; but that doesn't make it wrong.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

LSThiker

Quote from: jeders on September 01, 2015, 01:15:17 PM
When worn below the nametag, the position of the command insignia and specialty track badge are independent from each other. Center the the command badge where it would be if there was a pocket flap (about 1/4" below the nametag) and then wear the specialty track badge 1.5" below the nametag.

Quote from: LSThiker on September 01, 2015, 04:38:46 AM
...then the command pin looks really close to the specialty badge.

Yep, it sure does; but that doesn't make it wrong.

I am thinking they are independent as well.  Since CAPM 39-1 does not really prescribe the real location on the service jacket, I think it is 1/2 in as that is what AF 36-2903 states for graduated commanders.  They also do not clarify the issue either.  However, if you look at Figure 4.7 on page 47 (irony), it does not look like any of the measurements claimed in the text.  (of course USAF vs CAPM 39-1, I know).

Overall, I am just confused on this.  Currently what I have now is the graduated pin 1/2 in below the tag and the specialty badge 1.5 in below the name tag.

jeders

That should be good. If I were still wearing blues, that's probably where I would put it as a graduated commander.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Sapper168

Quote from: LSThiker on September 01, 2015, 02:01:04 PM
  Since CAPM 39-1 does not really prescribe the real location on the service jacket, I think it is 1/2 in as that is what AF 36-2903 states for graduated commanders. 

Actually it does.  Attachment 4.  Page 120 of the current 39-1
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

jeders

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on September 01, 2015, 08:22:23 PM
Quote from: LSThiker on September 01, 2015, 02:01:04 PM
  Since CAPM 39-1 does not really prescribe the real location on the service jacket, I think it is 1/2 in as that is what AF 36-2903 states for graduated commanders. 

Actually it does.  Attachment 4.  Page 120 of the current 39-1

That tells you what part of the uniform to put it on (under nametag) not where to put it in relation to the nametag.

Luis R. Ramos

Yes it does.

Not on Attachment 4, page 120 but on page 34.

QuoteFrom CAPM 39-1

CAP Command Insignia Pin (Unit and Group Commanders).

Wear of this badge is mandatory for all active and graduated commanders in the rank of lieutenant
colonel and below. Current commanders wear the appropriate command pin centered on the wearer's
right side, centered ½ inch above the nametag.  If a specialty track or service badge is worn on the wearer's right side above the name tag, center badge ½ inch above the command insignia.  If member is a
graduated commander, centered below the nametag between the nametag and the button of the right
pocket flap. Commanders (current and graduated) may only wear one commander pin, and current
commanders wear the pin appropriate to their current assignment.

The sentence ...graduated commander, centered below the nametag between the nametag and the button of the right pocket flap... does not give a measurement but gives you an exact location.  ...between the nametag...the button of the right pocket... Somewhere else you will find where the nametag goes!
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

LSThiker

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on September 01, 2015, 08:53:46 PM
Yes it does.

Not on Attachment 4, page 120 but on page 34.

QuoteFrom CAPM 39-1

CAP Command Insignia Pin (Unit and Group Commanders).

Wear of this badge is mandatory for all active and graduated commanders in the rank of lieutenant
colonel and below. Current commanders wear the appropriate command pin centered on the wearer's
right side, centered ½ inch above the nametag.  If a specialty track or service badge is worn on the wearer's right side above the name tag, center badge ½ inch above the command insignia.  If member is a
graduated commander, centered below the nametag between the nametag and the button of the right
pocket flap. Commanders (current and graduated) may only wear one commander pin, and current
commanders wear the pin appropriate to their current assignment.

The sentence ...graduated commander, centered below the nametag between the nametag and the button of the right pocket flap... does not give a measurement but gives you an exact location.  ...between the nametag...the button of the right pocket... Somewhere else you will find where the nametag goes!

Already quoted this in my first post.  Now please tell me where the right button flap is on the service jacket?

Hint:  this is a typo from the shirt

Luis R. Ramos

Hint: not a typo. They may be using the old-style jacket as the reference point. If you read that section again, they include instructions for both on the same para. Then obviously it was not thought this would have an impact.

So what I do is trace a line from the left pocket to the right side and use it as the place to put it.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

LSThiker

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on September 01, 2015, 09:16:17 PM
Hint: not a typo. They may be using the old-style jacket as the reference point. If you read that section again, they include instructions for both on the same para. Then obviously it was not thought this would have an impact.

So what I do is trace a line from the left pocket to the right side and use it as the place to put it.

No.  The commander's pin was approved in 2005.  CAP Seniors had already stopped wearing the old-service jacket at that point.  Plus, this is the first time the graduated commander pin has actually appeared in CAPM 39-1.  Until the 2014 release, the use of the commander's pin was not approved for continued wear by graduated commanders. 

SarDragon

Figure 4.6 is a good starting point, but I'm not sure what to do about both a Command Insignia and a Specialty Track badge below the name tag.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

LSThiker

Found it in AFI 36-2903. Do not know why I did not see it earlier.  Must have been going blind as it is clear as day

QuoteIf duty badge is worn on the wearer's right side with command insignia pin, center duty badge 1⁄2 inch above command insignia pin (current commander) or center duty badge 1⁄2 inch below command insignia pin for graduated commander.

BuckeyeDEJ

How about for those of us who are graduated commanders and have the national staff service badge? Saw someone in Orlando stacking the two, and it looked awful.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

JC004

The command pin is mandatory for Lt Col and below.  Anything else would require suggesting a change to the uniform manual. 

LSThiker

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on September 02, 2015, 03:44:44 AM
How about for those of us who are graduated commanders and have the national staff service badge? Saw someone in Orlando stacking the two, and it looked awful.

There is not much you can do.  The command pin is mandatory.  The National Staff Badge is required to be worn on the right side.  So if you are a graduated commander, then you are stuck in "stacking" the badges on the right side for men.

For women, I think the whole badge setup is a bit funny looking, albeit understandable in reasoning.  Having a command badge 0.5" above the name plate then having two CAP service/specialty badges 0.5" above the command pin just looks funny.  Especially if one is the National Staff badge. 

RogueLeader

Quote from: LSThiker on September 03, 2015, 01:21:26 PM

There is not much you can do.  The command pin is mandatory. 

Only on AF style.. Unfortunately, they are not mandatory on Corporate style.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

LSThiker

Quote from: RogueLeader on September 03, 2015, 05:28:34 PM

True, but then for men, you are not really stacking the graduated command pin and the national staff badge on the white aviator shirt.

JC004

People who have the group CC badge are the worst off.  It's so big.  The AF badge isn't like that.  It doesn't seem to fit well below the nameplate, especially. 

SARDOC

Quote from: RogueLeader on September 03, 2015, 05:28:34 PM

I'm thankful they aren't mandatory on the Corporates.  I'm a minimalist.  I typically wear the Ribbons only on special occassions.  I don't even own specialty track insignia for any of my 5 ratings.  I think all that stuff just screams look at me.  I've seen some people that wear so many different accoutrements that it looks like they are wearing body armor.  I prefer a simple, neat, professional appearance.  The more stuff you have on there the more likely you will have something on wrong.

SarDragon

I almost always wear my ribbons on my aviator shirt. It's the only place I get to wear them. If I feel really dressy, I'll wear my PD badges. That seldom happens. Never got a command pin, so no need to worry about it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret