Main Menu

GTM2 help?

Started by Cadet CMSgt, August 24, 2015, 03:19:00 PM

Cadet CMSgt

I'm trying to finish my training for GTM2 and sadly no one in my squadron is certified to sign off GTM2 and everytime I find someone we can never find a good time to get together and finish the evaluations. Any ideas?

Al Sayre

Ask your Squadron ESO talk to the Group ESO or Wing ES Director.  They should be able to help arrange for you to demonstrate the tasks at an upcoming SAREX.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Capt Thompson

+1 if your Wing has an upcoming SAREX, go. There will always be someone there that can sign off. If your Squadron doesn't have a team to send, you can usually be placed on another team, and if the Wing ES Director knows your wanting GTM2 tasks signed off, he'll likely put you on a team with a GTM2 SET.

Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

TheSkyHornet

As said previously, go through the chain and see if there's a way you can tack on to someone else's activity. Wing SAREXs can be a perfect opportunity, if a host unit is willing to accept people who aren't yet signed off. This applies to a number of qualifications, not just ground teams. The worst they can say is no, that they don't have time or the resources to play sign-off for non-qualified individuals. But you'll never know unless you ask, and always try to see if there's an option to get with another local squadron that can sign you off.

I strongly encourage our squadron to go to another unit if needed, given the appropriate communications have taken place first.

Capt Thompson

Luckily, our Wing ES Director is big into signoffs, so when there is a Wing Sarex they try hard to match trainees up with individuals that can get them qualified.

Another option is to see if your Wing has a SAR Academy, or look into an ES related NCSA.

Either way, go through the chain. I doubt any Wing would respond and say everyone is too busy to help. You may have to wait a bit for the opportunity, but if one is upcoming, most Wings would bend over backwards to try and get you there and qualified.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: 1st Lt Thompson on August 27, 2015, 07:22:30 PM
Luckily, our Wing ES Director is big into signoffs, so when there is a Wing Sarex they try hard to match trainees up with individuals that can get them qualified.

Another option is to see if your Wing has a SAR Academy, or look into an ES related NCSA.

Either way, go through the chain. I doubt any Wing would respond and say everyone is too busy to help. You may have to wait a bit for the opportunity, but if one is upcoming, most Wings would bend over backwards to try and get you there and qualified.

Wing level, unlikely.

We have a nearby squadron that used to be regarded as a "training squadron." A lot of people from across the area would go to them for cross-training. They have since stopped offering open invites because it got so busy for them, and they have their own stuff going on. Entirely understandable. But I've recently been chatting with them since I'm doing my pilot training with them, and they've been very interested in helping us get some training if we send some folks their way. We've also extended invites to them to attend our activities when we have them. Makes for a really good relationship to help each other out.

If you ever have something you want to train in and can't get it at your local squadron, you could always request for your C/CC to get more information for you, or CDC. Ask them if it would be acceptable to contact someone externally and see if you can arrange some training privately on your own time with another unit. That's my suggestion as the first step. Before going to another squadron, I always made sure my CC knows my intentions ahead of time, and that she's okay with me branching out as needed. It usually paves the way for others to say "I'd like to as well" and turns into a squadron activity.

I managed to get my ICUT with another unit recently. I gave a friendly reminder to my CC and ES officer that BCUT/ACUT were expiring, and that the unit I did my ICUT at was open to invites this weekend if any of our members were willing to swing by and get their ICUT. Our ES officer, who has been very absent lately, jumped on that as an "I'll show them I can do it" mentality and prepared a course for our own squadron. You never know what just talking about it casually will bring to the schedule.

The key is to initiate the discussion before selecting the plan of action.

lostdude1664

Print an SQTR and go to the SAREX. Then as soon as that's done, have the instructor sign the paperwork in front of you. That makes sure that you have been participating in the SAREX