C/AB Uniforms

Started by davidsinn, August 04, 2009, 04:38:38 PM

BillB

Boonies are not authorized for CAP period. Wearing a boonie cover is not authorized under any condition. The National Board tried to get USAF approval, and it was turned down.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Eclipse

Quote from: BillB on August 07, 2009, 01:39:29 PM
Boonies are not authorized for CAP period. Wearing a boonie cover is not authorized under any condition. The National Board tried to get USAF approval, and it was turned down.

Boonies are authorized for wear with the blue field uniform.

Quote from: Changes to CAP Uniform Memorandum

c. Blue boonie hat. A dark blue boonie hat may be worn with the blue field uniform when participating in extended outdoor operations and authorized by the activity director. Grade insignia will be worn as currently worn on the blue BDU cap .

Note: Cadet and senior member officers who choose to wear the dark blue field uniform with the blue BDU cap may wear the ultramarine blue embroidered grade insignia centered 1/2 inch above the visor. Grade insignia is not authorized on any of the CAP baseball caps. Grade insignia is not authorized on the blue BDU cap for cadets or senior members who do not hold officer grade.

"That Others May Zoom"

BillB

Correct the blue boonie can be worn with the blue field uniform. BUT The Squadron SOP says boonie can be worn with the BDU. Cadets may wear the blue boonie with the blue field uniform, but there is no authorization to wear a boonie of any color with BDUs.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Eclipse

Quote from: BillB on August 07, 2009, 03:21:39 PM
Correct the blue boonie can be worn with the blue field uniform. BUT The Squadron SOP says boonie can be worn with the BDU. Cadets may wear the blue boonie with the blue field uniform, but there is no authorization to wear a boonie of any color with BDUs.

Yes.  Your statement was that Boonies were not allowed period.

"That Others May Zoom"

majdomke

Just went to a SAREX two weeks ago where an entire squadron of participants showed up wearing camo boonies with their BDU's. On top of that, they wore hiking boots instead of military combat boot style. ???

Eclipse

Quote from: Lt Domke on August 07, 2009, 06:47:50 PM
Just went to a SAREX two weeks ago where an entire squadron of participants showed up wearing camo boonies with their BDU's. On top of that, they wore hiking boots instead of military combat boot style. ???

Did you or anyone else make an issue of it?

"That Others May Zoom"

majdomke

I was outranked by a Major and not really in a position to say anything directly. I did comment that I wasn't aware boonies were authorized for the mission. The response I got was they had authorized them for their squadron members. What would you do or should I have done in that situation? I should also mention there were numerous high ranking CAP officers there including a group commander.

Eclipse

Quote from: Lt Domke on August 07, 2009, 08:48:02 PM
I was outranked by a Major and not really in a position to say anything directly. I did comment that I wasn't aware boonies were authorized for the mission. The response I got was they had authorized them for their squadron members. What would you do or should I have done in that situation? I should also mention there were numerous high ranking CAP officers there including a group commander.

It depends, frankly, on your place in the universe.  At least you made mention of it.

Were I the GBD and they wanted to go on a GT, they'd fix the issues or go home, then there would be "direct" conversations with the Wing CC and their chain of command.  I won't jump the chain or end around it, but I'll rattle it without thinking twice, and I expect my peers to do the same for me.  A unit CC cannot authorize the violation of regulations, and those that "do" should think twice about allowing those violations outside their unit activities.  These things tend to shine light in places you may not want it.

Bottom line, you don't want to get into a shouting match in the ICP, but you should also not accept these kinds of things for anyone under your command or AOR.

I'm not surprised in the least that there were higher ranking officers and commanders there, but this is another case where the grade doesn't mean much beyond watching your "sirs and salutes".  The positional grade in the mission base is the only thing that matters.

For those of you who perpetrate this kind of "fun", take heed - people notice.

"That Others May Zoom"

DC

Hiking boots? WTF...

Boonies I can half understand, it's a common mistake, but hiking boots?

That's just weird.

majdomke

Trust me, I would love to wear boonies out here. We are in the central valley of CA and summertime temps easily go over 100 when we are out on missions. I keep hoping a praying CAP and USAF can work something out on this. As for the hiking boots... they were actually telling me and my team that we couldn't cut it on the mission wearing our regulation boots. I had to step up and let them know that we had just gone up to over 6000' the weekend before searching for the wreck of a B-17 from 1941. We crossed several miles of rough and rugged terrain and 4-16' high brush. All without the need for hiking boots or leg gaiters like they were wearing. A good pair of quality combat boots with bloused pants does the trip just fine for the military and should do the same for us.