C/AB Uniforms

Started by davidsinn, August 04, 2009, 04:38:38 PM

Ned

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 05, 2009, 05:23:45 PM
If a policy is pushed that has no legitimate confirming documentation, it is indeed a lie. One that needs to be dealt with.

That seems a bit harsh.

Why can't a commander set a policy verbally?

As long as it is effectively communicated, it doesn't seem to matter whether it is printed, typewritten, or copied in longhand by monks.

When I'm in command, I personally tend to put important policies in writing.  But not every directive, order, or policy is going to be written down.  That's just kinda the way it is in real life, too.

And I'm not sure that underwear color ranks up there with my most important policy decisions as a commander. 

But to characterize an unwritten (but official) policy as a "lie" seems a bit much.

Ned Lee

NC Hokie

Quote from: Eclipse on August 05, 2009, 04:34:53 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on August 05, 2009, 04:03:21 PM
Quote from: NC Hokie on August 05, 2009, 03:55:59 PM
Who's responsible for making sure that the cadet has the uniform specified in the activity packing list?

First the cadet themselves, second the unit commander shouldn't send a cadet to encampment that is not prepared.

Yep - that's why we require CC approval.  You have no idea how many CC's feel its "not their problem".

That answer is inconsistent with your earlier statements (Reply #21 and Reply #26) that activity CCs are responsible for supplying uniforms that they require cadet participants to have.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Eclipse

Quote from: NC Hokie on August 05, 2009, 05:39:29 PM
Who's responsible for making sure that the cadet has the uniform specified in the activity packing list?

First the cadet themselves, second the unit commander shouldn't send a cadet to encampment that is not prepared.

Yep - that's why we require CC approval.  You have no idea how many CC's feel its "not their problem".

That answer is inconsistent with your earlier statements (Reply #21 and Reply #26) that activity CCs are responsible for supplying uniforms that they require cadet participants to have.

??? No its not.  Reread.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Ned on August 05, 2009, 05:33:14 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on August 05, 2009, 05:23:45 PM
If a policy is pushed that has no legitimate confirming documentation, it is indeed a lie. One that needs to be dealt with.

That seems a bit harsh.

Why can't a commander set a policy verbally?

As long as it is effectively communicated, it doesn't seem to matter whether it is printed, typewritten, or copied in longhand by monks.

When I'm in command, I personally tend to put important policies in writing.  But not every directive, order, or policy is going to be written down.  That's just kinda the way it is in real life, too.

And I'm not sure that underwear color ranks up there with my most important policy decisions as a commander. 

But to characterize an unwritten (but official) policy as a "lie" seems a bit much.

Ned Lee

Well, let's look at it that way. Prove that the policy exists. Without consulting the commander in question. What if he or she is out of town? At home, sick in bed? At work, in a meeting and can't be disturbed? Laying in a hospital bed, not concious? What if no one else has any recollection of the commander saying it?

You tell me something that I don't have any means of verifying, how do I know that it's actually the commander's policy, and not just something you made up? I've dealt with a number of made up rules with no actual basis in reality. We shouldn't advocate such a practice.

I don't believe the policy exists in the first place. No one can prove to me that it does. Proving that it does exist isn't hard at all. Proving that something doesn't is almost impossible.

I will also point out that you mentioned something "effectively communicated".  "...printed, typewritten, or copied in longhand by monks" is written, and can be referenced. These days, a policy letter or supplement can be typed up, published, posted on a website, and have emails sent informing all the members of the wing with internet access within minutes. Since you can do that, why wouldn't you?

NC Hokie

Quote from: Eclipse on August 05, 2009, 05:57:49 PM
Quote from: NC Hokie on August 05, 2009, 05:39:29 PM

??? No its not.  Reread.

I have.  Here's what I found...

Quote from: Eclipse on August 05, 2009, 02:29:18 AM
Not quite - the only uniform combinations that can be dictated (for cadets) are those which are issued by either NHQ, the unit, or the activity.

Quote from: Eclipse on August 05, 2009, 05:12:06 AM
Beyond the MBSU, a unit or activity CC cannot mandate any other uniform parts or combos unless they supply the item or the expense is voluntary.  This comes up all the time in relation to encampments and similar - someone is always saying we can't mandate BDU's for economically challenged cadets who can't afford them.

They are correct and we do anyway.  In 6 years as an encampment commander, no one has challenged me on this, but if they did, I'd have no alternative but to allow the cadet to participate in the full activity in service dress.  That's what the regs says.

In the first two quotes, you indicate that the activity CC is responsible for supplying any required uniforms that cadet participants do not already have, yet the third quote finds you agreeing with the idea that the cadet and his unit CC are responsible for them.  Which is it?
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

CAPC/officer125

Quote from: SarDragon on August 05, 2009, 07:03:27 AM
Quote from: DC on August 05, 2009, 05:08:51 AM
Quote from: C/Command125 on August 05, 2009, 05:03:17 AM
Quote from: DC on August 05, 2009, 03:42:54 AM
Quote from: C/Command125 on August 04, 2009, 08:43:17 PM
At my squadron, we have them wear a white t-shirt and nice blue jeans with tennis shoes until they get a uniform. It is usually not a problem for them to get their uniform before they promote. Also the male hair need to be in in regs and we prefer the females to at least have their hair up.
One of the requirements to promote to C/Amn is to be able to satisfactorily wear a uniform. You can't do that if you don't have one, ergo, everyone should have a complete uniform prior to promoting...
Yes, but at my squadron we either get them their uniform within a couple of weeks of joining or they take long enough to get their Curry, that we don't worry about them not being in uniform IAW regs come promotion time.
You might want to think about your post, specifically the part I put in bold and underlined. Regulations are not something to be ignored when they simply become inconvienient.

With that, I rest my case.

I think you misinterpreted. I had to read it twice before I figured out what was intended. To rephrase, they don't have to worry about a new cadet being out of uniform because they are pretty much assured of having a complete uniform come promotion time.

Yes, is what I intended to say. Sorry for the easily misinterpreted words. My cadet always have both a full set of blues and a full set of BDUs before they promote. Making sure they have their blues is especially something that is big at my squadron because that is the required uniform they wear for their review boards (which we have for EVERY achievement). We are also a big ES squadron (we received Wing GT of the Year this year) so BDUs are a must.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

davidsinn

Quote from: C/Command125 on August 05, 2009, 07:42:07 PM
At my squadron, we have them wear a white t-shirt and nice blue jeans with tennis shoes until they get a uniform. It is usually not a problem for them to get their uniform before they promote. Also the male hair need to be in in regs and we prefer the females to at least have their hair up.
One of the requirements to promote to C/Amn is to be able to satisfactorily wear a uniform. You can't do that if you don't have one, ergo, everyone should have a complete uniform prior to promoting...
Yes, but at my squadron we either get them their uniform within a couple of weeks of joining or they take long enough to get their Curry, that we don't worry about them not being in uniform IAW regs come promotion time.
You might want to think about your post, specifically the part I put in bold and underlined. Regulations are not something to be ignored when they simply become inconvienient.

I think you misinterpreted. I had to read it twice before I figured out what was intended. To rephrase, they don't have to worry about a new cadet being out of uniform because they are pretty much assured of having a complete uniform come promotion time.

Yes, is what I intended to say. Sorry for the easily misinterpreted words. My cadet always have both a full set of blues and a full set of BDUs before they promote. Making sure they have their blues is especially something that is big at my squadron because that is the required uniform they wear for their review boards (which we have for EVERY achievement). We are also a big ES squadron (we received Wing GT of the Year this year) so BDUs are a must.

Please tell me you do not hold up a promotion because they only have one uniform complete.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

DC

Oh, okay, good. The way you had it worded it sounded like y'all didn't care if they had their uniform or not when it came time to promote.

Sorry for going off on you like that.

CAPC/officer125

Quote from: davidsinn on August 05, 2009, 07:46:30 PM

Please tell me you do not hold up a promotion because they only have one uniform complete.
No we don't.
I really don't worry about the uniform problem because they have a complete set of each uniform, minus the tapes and tags, within the first 2 weeks after they join. Our supply officer is a big stickler about making sure the cadets are taken care of, at least when it comes to uniforms. And with the tags and tapes, some of my cadets don't attempt their Curry until several months after they join, so they have the complete uniform before they go in front of the board.

C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

RiverAux

Is there any real reason we couldn't change the regulation to make BDUs a required item for cadets?  As it stands right now, I'm fairly confident in saying that just about every cadet in CAP has a BDU uniform that they have either purchased themselves or have had issued to them by the unit.  That being the case, it would make sense to me to just make it a requirement to remove the ambiguity around this issue. 

Since they're already being bought or provided by the unit, cost isn't an issue. 

Eclipse

You're either adding words that aren't there, or simply misunderstanding.  What I've said is clear and consistent with the regs.

Quote from: NC Hokie on August 05, 2009, 06:38:03 PM
In the first two quotes, you indicate that the activity CC is responsible for supplying any required uniforms that cadet participants do not already have,

That is not remotely what I said.  (In regards to cadets) A unit or activity CC cannot mandate the wear of anything other than the MBSU unless they provide that uniform to the cadet, or the cadet volunteers to acquire and wear it.  This doesn't mean the CC has to provide anything.

It also doesn't mean the CC can't post UOD's, since regardless the majority will always step up, but it does mean that any cadet so inclined can ignore the UOD at his discretion unless the one prescribed was issued by CAP.

This is generally a non-issue because a) many units have access to used uniforms, and b) most cadets are capable of funding their own BDU's, but the fact remains that, by reg, if mom said "We can't afford it..." or even "we don't think we should have to buy that..." and the cadet decided to be a ground team member, there is nothing prohibiting them from wearing blues in the field, and nothing I can shake out to mandate the wear of BDU's. (That cadet, however, would be responsible for maintaining the MBSU in proper condition, and if they ruined it camping, I'd be comfortable making them replace it).

In regards to this thread, if I absolutely want cadets to wear a black t-shirt, I have to provide it to them, otherwise any cadet who doesn't own one (or even feel like wearing one) could wear a brown shirt and I'd have no recourse. 

Quote from: NC Hokie on August 05, 2009, 06:38:03 PM
yet the third quote finds you agreeing with the idea that the cadet and his unit CC are responsible for them.  Which is it?

In terms of responsibility, what I said was that when a Unit CC signs a Form 31, they are indicating to the activity CC that this respective cadet is prepared for and capable of participating in that activity, including mitigating any uniform issues.  That doesn't mean they have to march to a surplus store and buy anything, but it does mean they are at least peripherally aware of the requirements of the activity, and if they know the cadet is not capable, or is missing required equipment, they let the activity CC know in advance.

As a commander (unit or otherwise) I can't force a cadet to buy anything but the parts required to complete the FCU, period.  If I want anything more than that (BDU's, rainbow shirts, service coats, flightsuits, whatever), I have to give it to them, or ask nicely and hope they step up.

If they can't afford it or aren't inclined to cooperate, that doesn't mean I have to buy them (or the squadron).

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on August 05, 2009, 11:56:09 PM
Is there any real reason we couldn't change the regulation to make BDUs a required item for cadets?

Since they're already being bought or provided by the unit, cost isn't an issue.

I'd sign that, but in one sentence you just doubled the on-paper cost of being a cadet.  Frankly I think the cadets would be better served getting BDU's (or ABU's soon) than the service dress. 

12 year olds are far better at keeping a garment which already looks dirty clean, than dress pants and shirts.

Let them wear their ribbons and cords on the BDUs, and issue them a MBSU when they make NCO or maybe officer.  It would mean more and you'd know at a glance in ranks who the higher-speed movers are.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ned

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 05, 2009, 06:09:49 PM
Well, let's look at it that way. Prove that the policy exists. Without consulting the commander in question. What if he or she is out of town? At home, sick in bed? At work, in a meeting and can't be disturbed? Laying in a hospital bed, not concious? What if no one else has any recollection of the commander saying it?

Maybe I'm missing something here.

As near as I can tell, your position is something to the effect of "any policy that isn't written down is a lie'. 

My position is that many, if not most, of a commander's policies, directives, and orders are communicated verbally and not in writing.

And that verbal directives are just as valid as writen policies.

You tell me something that I don't have any means of verifying, how do I know that it's actually the commander's policy, and not just something you made up? I've dealt with a number of made up rules with no actual basis in reality. We shouldn't advocate such a practice.

I don't believe the policy exists in the first place. No one can prove to me that it does. Proving that it does exist isn't hard at all. Proving that something doesn't is almost impossible.

I will also point out that you mentioned something "effectively communicated".  "...printed, typewritten, or copied in longhand by monks" is written, and can be referenced. These days, a policy letter or supplement can be typed up, published, posted on a website, and have emails sent informing all the members of the wing with internet access within minutes. Since you can do that, why wouldn't you?

I can only agree that any policy has to be effectively communicated to be effective.

But that applies equally to written and verbal policies.  I could write a policy down and keep it in my desk drawer.  That is no more effectively communicated than a verbal policy whispered into my closet in the dead of night.

But the key is communication and understanding by subordinates, not whether something is written or not.

Hawk200

Quote from: Ned on August 06, 2009, 04:31:58 AMAs near as I can tell, your position is something to the effect of "any policy that isn't written down is a lie'. 

I was probably a little too general on that. The problem I'm seeing is "policies" that no one seems to know where it came from.

There are wing commanders that are puzzled about the "staff only" black T-shirt rule. You'd think that when it comes to something that is supposed to be approved by the Wing CC and that person doesn't know about it, it's probably something suitable to fertilize with.

All in all, if a supposed policy has no one and nothing to corroborate it, and it keeps getting passed down, it's a lie. Even an outdated policy that keeps getting passed down when no longer valid is a lie. Then again, maybe "myth" is a more appropriate term.

lordmonar

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 06, 2009, 05:28:11 AM
Quote from: Ned on August 06, 2009, 04:31:58 AMAs near as I can tell, your position is something to the effect of "any policy that isn't written down is a lie'. 

I was probably a little too general on that. The problem I'm seeing is "policies" that no one seems to know where it came from.

There are wing commanders that are puzzled about the "staff only" black T-shirt rule. You'd think that when it comes to something that is supposed to be approved by the Wing CC and that person doesn't know about it, it's probably something suitable to fertilize with.

All in all, if a supposed policy has no one and nothing to corroborate it, and it keeps getting passed down, it's a lie. Even an outdated policy that keeps getting passed down when no longer valid is a lie. Then again, maybe "myth" is a more appropriate term.
T shirts do not have to be approved by the wing commander.  And many policies do not have to "come" from anywhere.  Squadron policy to wear BDU cap vs a squadron ball cap, brown t-shirts vs Black.  Ties on between october and may. Not one of these have to come from anywhere.

If a sqadron CC wants his basic cadets in brown T-shirts and his staff in black...he needs no more justification then simple preference.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: lordmonar on August 06, 2009, 06:00:13 AMNot one of these have to come from anywhere

Obviously, I haven't made the point clear. Of course they have to come from somewhere. That's the difference between made up and legitimate.

An example of a conversation concerning the black T-shirt:

"Cadets only wear a black T-shirt if they're on staff."

"Really, who says?"

"Uhh....I don't know. But it's in the regs."

"OK, show it to me."

"Well, I don't know where. But everyone knows that."

"They do? How does everyone know if isn't written down?"

"Well, one of the staff told me that."

"Did they? But they didn't show it to you?"

"Uhh...no."

"So how does everyone know that?"

End conversation (which has repeated more times than I've even bothered to count).

What it boils down to is if you cannot prove that a policy exists (which could be something written down, or just a commander that says "Yeah, I said that"), then it's not a policy. Period. Anything that can't be verified is not enforceable in any way shape or form. Therefore, it shouldn't be set forth as policy. At best, it's a myth; at worst, it's a lie.

Is that clear?

BillB

Eclipse and Hawk are correct, Ned is wrong. A verbal policy, verbal order are by normal useage like ICL's and exprire after 90 days (except in Florida Wing where they are permenant) CAPR 10-1 covers written policies, there is no regulation on verbal policies. How can a CC require cadet Jones to wear black t-shirts if cadet Jones was not told of the verbal policy?  According to one former National Commander, a verbal order is only issued when a CC has no access to a typewriter or computer. Checking with several USAF Admin types, it's normal for a verbal order to expire after 90 days, however there is no regulation on this. A Squadron policy requiring black t-shirts for staff must be posted for all to see, which doesn't happen with verbal orders.
A CC telling a cadet the UOD next week is PT clothing is a verbal order that expires next week. This is an example of a legal verbal order. But saying to several cadets that orange T-shirts are for cadets with a GES on their 101 would expire after 90 days unless the CC puts it in writing and it's posted.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

notaNCO forever

Quote from: BillB on August 06, 2009, 11:44:06 AM
Eclipse and Hawk are correct, Ned is wrong. A verbal policy, verbal order are by normal useage like ICL's and exprire after 90 days (except in Florida Wing where they are permenant) CAPR 10-1 covers written policies, there is no regulation on verbal policies. How can a CC require cadet Jones to wear black t-shirts if cadet Jones was not told of the verbal policy?  According to one former National Commander, a verbal order is only issued when a CC has no access to a typewriter or computer. Checking with several USAF Admin types, it's normal for a verbal order to expire after 90 days, however there is no regulation on this. A Squadron policy requiring black t-shirts for staff must be posted for all to see, which doesn't happen with verbal orders.
A CC telling a cadet the UOD next week is PT clothing is a verbal order that expires next week. This is an example of a legal verbal order. But saying to several cadets that orange T-shirts are for cadets with a GES on their 101 would expire after 90 days unless the CC puts it in writing and it's posted.

Just a question, you state that their is no reg on verbal policy, but then latter on you say verbal policies expire after 90 days; what one is it? You seem to have contradicted yourself. It might be so for the Air Force, but as has been stated, we don't follow Air Force regs. Of course, I think we should use Air Force regs as a guideline, but, to my knowledge, their is nothing that says we have to.

Larry Mangum

Quote from: notaNCO forever on August 06, 2009, 01:54:01 PM
Just a question, you state that their is no reg on verbal policy, but then latter on you say verbal policies expire after 90 days; what one is it? You seem to have contradicted yourself. It might be so for the Air Force, but as has been stated, we don't follow Air Force regs. Of course, I think we should use Air Force regs as a guideline, but, to my knowledge, their is nothing that says we have to.

Guys, there is a big difference between a verbal order and a verbal policy.  Plicies by their very nature set in place a series of actions or events that persist over a long time.  An order on the other hand normaly is tied to a specifc task or person. An example of this would be, "Cadet, take a detail and retire the colors." A policy on the other hand is as described in some of the other postings, for example, "Cadet staff will wear black T-shirts, non cadet staff will wear brown T-shirts."

The majority of all orders will be given verbally.  Policies on the other hand should be in writting, so they can be refered back to once questions arise over compliance.  It is almost impossible to go back and verify a verbal policy for accuracy.  That does not mean that there is not a place for temporary policies; making an area during a Search a non-salute area is a good example of a verbal policy as it is of short duration and focused.

I know a lot of you get this and will see this post as redundant, but I thought some clarity would help.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Eclipse

Quote from: Who_knows? on August 06, 2009, 02:44:44 PM
The majority of all orders will be given verbally.  Policies on the other hand should be in writting, so they can be refered back to one questions arise over compliance.  It is almost impossible to go back and verify a verbal policy for accuracy.  That does not mean that there is not a place for temporary policies; making an area during a Search a non-salute area is a good example of a verbal policy as it is of short duration and focused.

To back this up further, wearing a specific color of shirt for a specific reason would defineintly fall under
"Squadron SOP" and proper posting of Unit SOP's are an SUI item.

"That Others May Zoom"