You know its HOT when...

Started by abysmal, July 28, 2005, 12:24:45 AM

Eclipse

Personal responsibility is important, but as adults we have a duty of care that requires we do more than push cadets to take care of themselves.

Sometimes this means canceling or altering an event instead of pushing cadets past their limit.  Imagine if one of those cadets had died of heat related illness, a complication, or simply hitting his head when he fell (happened at last Spring encampment, passed out in formation and hit head hard). How important would it have seemed to have the cadets watch a flag be passed then?

Saying parents were close and did nothing isn't fair to them, they look to us to run the event and it wouldn't be proper to expect them to be bumping into formation to check if Cadet Janey or Johnny is hot.  That's our job!   They shouldn't be out there to start with.

This is similar, but not as extreme as the Boy Scouts last year.  During the week of their Jamboree, something like 4 adults died and 300+ members were taken to the hospital with heat related illness waiting for POTUS to speak.

What, for crying out loud, is the BSA's threshold of "maybe it's time we went home"?
10 deaths and 400 hospitalizations?  Bear in mind this wasn't disaster relief or a similar function - this is basically just a convention, one which has a history of this kind of nonsense.

"That Others May Zoom"

footballrun21

...when a cadet says, "Sir, may I get a drink of water?" Then drops.  The captain he said it to didn't even have time to respond.
C/2d Lt. Stephen Pettit, CAP
New Jersey Wing

Pace

The captain he said it to should have been paying better attention and making sure the cadets were drinking water.
Lt Col, CAP

footballrun21

He was locking his knees, but other than that, it was a regular meeting and we were just standing around in a circle talking about aerospace or something.  It was supposed to be a 5 min. max talk.
New Jersey Wing

Pace

Mistake #1:(obvious)
Quote from: footballrun21 on January 11, 2006, 02:32:58 AM
He was locking his knees

Mistake #2: Actually believing a short discussion in CAP will ever be short  :D
Quote from: footballrun21 on January 11, 2006, 02:32:58 AM
It was supposed to be a 5 min. max talk.
Lt Col, CAP

Nathan

Just to throw something out there, sometimes things can't really be prevented.

At NCR encampment 04, I was a flight sergeant. During our graduation, I was posted at the back of the flight, and our flight commander was posted at the front. Then, something UNEXPECTED happened, which threw a lot of preemptive measures down the toilet. The ANG Gen who was speaking to us decided to go into her life story and whatnot, and our command not realizing that she would take this long, had left us at attention.

I did my best to try to keep an eye on the flight, but there was only so much I could see, especially since they weren't facing me, and the commander at the front was faced the other way. When the flight sergeant in the flight next to us dropped, I started moving around a little to try to see if anyone was about to drop. They did. Two of them. At the same time.

So yeah, the parade went on without us as they stepped over the fallen cadets... the command given, I believe, was:

"ForeWARD, avoid the INJURED, HARCH!" :D

So yeah... sometimes its hard to prevent these things, but no one was injured. They just locked their knees up (like we had specifically told them not to do). Sometimes things happen. Murphey's law, yaknow?
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Pace

I had two cadets almost fall out on me Monday night.  I just happened to be in the area...it obviously wasn't my flight.  I was in the basement of the former 8th Air Force HQ building where the squadron meets, and the cadets were in formation (standing at ease, no less) listening to one of those short speeches.  It was hot down there, no circulating air, and they had been standing there for 10-15 minutes already.

One cadet raised her hand and said she was about to pass out.  I helped her out.  When she was ready to rejoin the flight, I was keeping an eye on her and suddenly I noticed the cadet beside her was wobbling.  Next thing I know he's going down, but luckily the C/CC and I were able to catch him right before his knees made contact with the ground (I don't think I've ever crossed a room that fast...not even during the shuttle run).  Something tells me had we not caught him, his knees would have been injured moderate to severely.  I got him fixed up and back up to speed, but what surprised me was how everyone who should be trained in how to deal with simple passing-out/overheating just stood around with a blank look on their face.
Lt Col, CAP

footballrun21

...When at encampent, the base is under black flag conditions for 2 days and everything is done indoors. :o
New Jersey Wing

ThorntonOL

I was an inflight cadet back in 2003 NYWG encampment and for the final formation we wore blues in mid to high 90 degree weather and i know by the time the ceremonies ended we had several down because of the heat.
Is it the wool pants that does it?
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

Eclipse

...members of the audience at graduation start dropping...

"That Others May Zoom"

DC

Quote from: ThorntonOL on June 17, 2008, 08:51:40 PM
I was an inflight cadet back in 2003 NYWG encampment and for the final formation we wore blues in mid to high 90 degree weather and i know by the time the ceremonies ended we had several down because of the heat.
Is it the wool pants that does it?
Probably more like not being accustomed to the heat. I'm in Florida and have had to (along with several other people) wear Service Dress recently, pretty much all in the ninties, and very, very humid. Definately not fun, but none of us have had any problems. I had a cadet pass out in formation yesterday, but he was locking his knees. His Flight Sergeant caught him before he hit the ground and a senior member took care of him. He was fine after a few minutes.

♠SARKID♠

QuoteYou know its HOT when...

Your UnderArmor goes on strike
The polish melts out of your boots
You can use a horizontal stabilizer as a griddle to fry up breakfast
The glaze melts off the senior members' donuts
Senior members give up coffee and opt for an iced frappuchino
You march double time to keep from burning your boots on the tarmac
You have to tell a C/2Lt to stop burning C/Amn with a magnifying glass

SarDragon

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on June 19, 2008, 04:26:14 AM

Doesn't need to be hot to do that, just a sunny day.  8)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

addo1

Quote from: SarDragon on June 19, 2008, 04:49:01 AM
Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on June 19, 2008, 04:26:14 AM

Doesn't need to be hot to do that, just a sunny day.  8)

...and both will make it worse  ;D
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

Johnny Yuma

Sorry, but if the kids were dropping in formation in less than 10 minutes, it was locked knees and not dehydration.

Lemme tell you about my introduction to Water intoxication. Never knew it existed until one cadet officer at encampment buys a new Camelback and in an effort to stay hydrated downs 10 (TEN), yes, I said Ten, as in all your fingers, refilled bladders in one afternoon and evening, no trips to the bathroom.

By 0100 (he's acting CQ watch commander) he's out of it and an instant NCR encampment legend.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven: