Ranger 3rd Class

Started by TheGooseLover, October 31, 2015, 06:33:12 PM

PA Guy

And the cadet OP was last seen running away into the night screaming.

Luis R. Ramos

If so he was not cut out to be a Ranger...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Disenchanted

Some more clarification on the Pathfinder School.
It was supported by the Missouri Wing.  We had cadets from all over the U.S. attend.  We had a cadet from California Wing attend.  He showed up in the slant pocket green jungle fatigues which were still authorized at the time.  The school commander made him change because we were on an active Army Post.  If my memory is right, at the time Army Rangers were still wearing that uniform, so we didn't want any confusion with Regular Army folks.
Good times.
I guess I just turned this into a uniform thread.  Sorry.

Garibaldi

Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Luis R. Ramos

A screaming ranger in the night? Are Rangers supposed to "run away and scream?"

WOW!
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

TheGooseLover

Wow. Just wow. This thread is... Amazing. You guys all rock, made my day reading all the new posts.
C/Capt. Riley M. Hodge
SWR-OK-113

Flying Pig

Garibaldi

Quote from: Caponly101 on November 02, 2015, 12:18:44 AM
Wow. Just wow. This thread is... Amazing. You guys all rock, made my day reading all the new posts.

I hereby dub thee....Danger Ranger.

Seriously, though, don't expect anything more than a 10 sided answer here on CAPTalk. Find a R1C somewhere near you and go from there, or wait until next summer.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

sarmed1

Just do the GTM3, GTM2, and GTM 1 tasks.  Study for the "other" ranger specific tasks on the sheets so when the time comes you can test them with minimal fanfare.  Nothing kills ranger grade hopefuls than not having the appropriate GTM tasks completed. (the newest sheets have all of the GTM tasks on them first, then any Ranger specific skills second for a reason)

Look for Ranger related activities to attend or start the social media search for other ranger graded individuals that may be at local events.  I know from being at the school, there are a number of R/1-R/exp in TXWG, seek them out, maybe they will be at an activity you can attend, otherwise the summer school occurs pretty much the same time and in the same place in PA, every year.

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

sarmed1

oh an PS:
Its not an "encampment", its a NCSA.

mk

THRAWN

Quote from: sarmed1 on November 03, 2015, 12:46:59 PM
Just do the GTM3, GTM2, and GTM 1 tasks.  Study for the "other" ranger specific tasks on the sheets so when the time comes you can test them with minimal fanfare.  Nothing kills ranger grade hopefuls than not having the appropriate GTM tasks completed. (the newest sheets have all of the GTM tasks on them first, then any Ranger specific skills second for a reason)

Look for Ranger related activities to attend or start the social media search for other ranger graded individuals that may be at local events.  I know from being at the school, there are a number of R/1-R/exp in TXWG, seek them out, maybe they will be at an activity you can attend, otherwise the summer school occurs pretty much the same time and in the same place in PA, every year.

MK

I have a vague memory of the 3rd class signoff being able to be accomplished "off the mountain". It was kind of used to encourage participation at Hawk and to let people into the "club" to further advance through the ranger grades. Is my memory correct here?
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

TheGooseLover

Does anyone know of or have experience with the Field Medic program? I'm really into first aid and have completed my first aid course already, is it worth it?
C/Capt. Riley M. Hodge
SWR-OK-113

sarmed1

BITD-when an R2 was the first qual that you had to do sign offs for a unit CC could sign off on R2 skills even if they wernt a "ranger" (they were mostly simple/safety skills), but always the understanding that it was otherwise someone with the next highest Ranger grade.

Then GTM skills started to become integrated into the Ranger sheets, ok good, however there wasnt an actual requirement for GTM qual until R1, but the problem was there were GTM tasks and Ranger tasks intermixed on the sheets.  So you risked that a GTM3 might be signing of a GTM1 skill just because it was on the R3 or R2 sheet and thus messing up the GTM gual when entered into the computer.  So the latest version has that only a R1 can sign of on an R2 or R3 sheet so that GTM 3 or 2 level skills are being signed off by a person that is at least a GTM1 or above.  Also they are supposed to have SET on their 101 in order to sign off (Ranger skills included), though not listed as a requirement for qualification

The current "plan" allows you to complete R3 much like the old world of R2, you dont have to set foot onto the mountain (or other "sanctioned activity" in order to meet the basic qualification.

If you are looking yourself I noticed today that there is an error on the web page, the drop down menu under downloads has the correct sheet, but the hyperlink on the page if opened has the old sheet.

MK

THRAWN

Quote from: Caponly101 on November 03, 2015, 06:31:25 PM
Does anyone know of or have experience with the Field Medic program? I'm really into first aid and have completed my first aid course already, is it worth it?

I know a few people that have completed the course. From what I've seen, they get a really good education. It's led to careers in the EMS field for some of them.

http://www.capranger.org/field%20medic%20course.html
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

THRAWN

Quote from: sarmed1 on November 03, 2015, 06:44:15 PM
BITD-when an R2 was the first qual that you had to do sign offs for a unit CC could sign off on R2 skills even if they wernt a "ranger" (they were mostly simple/safety skills), but always the understanding that it was otherwise someone with the next highest Ranger grade.

Then GTM skills started to become integrated into the Ranger sheets, ok good, however there wasnt an actual requirement for GTM qual until R1, but the problem was there were GTM tasks and Ranger tasks intermixed on the sheets.  So you risked that a GTM3 might be signing of a GTM1 skill just because it was on the R3 or R2 sheet and thus messing up the GTM gual when entered into the computer.  So the latest version has that only a R1 can sign of on an R2 or R3 sheet so that GTM 3 or 2 level skills are being signed off by a person that is at least a GTM1 or above.  Also they are supposed to have SET on their 101 in order to sign off (Ranger skills included), though not listed as a requirement for qualification

The current "plan" allows you to complete R3 much like the old world of R2, you dont have to set foot onto the mountain (or other "sanctioned activity" in order to meet the basic qualification.

If you are looking yourself I noticed today that there is an error on the web page, the drop down menu under downloads has the correct sheet, but the hyperlink on the page if opened has the old sheet.

MK

I thought so. Like I said, my info is hazy and a bit dated (pre-2000) but I remember that the R3 was like being a pledge to the frat.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Jaison009

I did mine that way WIWAC

Quote from: THRAWN on November 03, 2015, 06:22:42 PM

MK

I have a vague memory of the 3rd class signoff being able to be accomplished "off the mountain". It was kind of used to encourage participation at Hawk and to let people into the "club" to further advance through the ranger grades. Is my memory correct here?

TheGooseLover

I think I'm going to go next year and get R2-R1 and then maybe go back and get Field Medic one of the following years
C/Capt. Riley M. Hodge
SWR-OK-113

THRAWN

Quote from: Jaison009 on November 03, 2015, 06:49:32 PM
I did mine that way WIWAC

Quote from: THRAWN on November 03, 2015, 06:22:42 PM

MK

I thought so. Like I said, I kind of remembered it being that way. I remember going through a R3 eval in 2000 or 2001 or so with a R1. Not sure if the form was ever submitted, but it was a good look at the program. There were a few of us who "tested" and then were going to head to PA for the summer. Then 9/11 happened and there was a bit of reorganization in my priorities.

I'm pretty sure that this is the kind of info that the OP was looking for.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

sarmed1

Quote from: Caponly101 on November 03, 2015, 06:31:25 PM

Prerequisite: Completion of a Cadet Basic or Advance course, Ranger 2nd Class, and a professional CPR certification is mandatory. Early registration is required since there may be pre-course assignments as part of the school curriculum.

If it is worth it is kind of up to you.  Does it change anything you do as far as GTM qual or role in operations, no; you are still limited by the restrictions in CAPR 160-1, just like any other member with a medical certification.  If an career in healthcare is something you are interested in its a good opportunity for some learning and experience to send you down that path ( I know plenty of people that went thru the course that went on to become Paramedics, Nurses, PA's and Physicians, and many attribute their interest in the field to their experience with the course)

mk

TheGooseLover

I just really wish they'd plan NCSA's around wing encampments, I know they are all at different dates, but just don't do NCSA's in June-July unless you have to (NBB). I graduated encampment this year and plan to go as a Flight Sergeant next year, so I can't go to HMRS.
C/Capt. Riley M. Hodge
SWR-OK-113