Was this maneuver appropriate?

Started by foo, August 21, 2015, 02:56:44 PM

foo

Our squadron has no cadet officers at this time, so we have kept the C/CC position vacant. We have flight sergeants and a first sergeant, and it's been working out well. Our program is strong; there are a lot of cadets working hard on their achievements, and we won't be bottom-heavy forever. We are following the recommendations in 52-15.

The other night the next echelon authority blew into our squadron meeting unannounced and declared "as your [insert next echelon title here] I'm telling you this is going to change." The reason given was that a particular senior NCO cadet deserved to be C/CC, and that we should not be "denying him the opportunity."

Oh, and this was done while our squadron commander was away for a work commitment. Classy stuff to say the least.

NC Hokie

There are too many variables that none of us know the answers to, so any opinions offered here are sure to be flawed. That said, your squadron commander needs to have a discussion with his boss and, perhaps, his boss's boss.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Phil Hirons, Jr.

I agree with NC Hokie on the variables. However, I do have a few comments.

Unless [insert next echelon title here] = Commander or Deputy / Vice Commander he/she has no command authority to order that. Higher echelon staff are there to support the lower echelon. If he/she has an issue with how a squadron is running its Cadet Program then they need to discuss it with their command.

If it was the Commander or Deputy / Vice Commander that is a discussion that should be held privately with the squadron commander.

JeffDG

Quote from: Phil Hirons, Jr. on August 21, 2015, 04:23:11 PM
I agree with NC Hokie on the variables. However, I do have a few comments.

Unless [insert next echelon title here] = Commander or Deputy / Vice Commander he/she has no command authority to order that. Higher echelon staff are there to support the lower echelon. If he/she has an issue with how a squadron is running its Cadet Program then they need to discuss it with their command.

If it was the Commander or Deputy / Vice Commander that is a discussion that should be held privately with the squadron commander.

1000% concur.

Staff advises.  They don't direct...ever.  (OK, one exception...if I as a Wing Staffer am visiting a squadron and see something that is unsafe, I can direct that it be ceased, but the Knock it Off directive is about the only exception)

vorteks

Quote from: NC Hokie on August 21, 2015, 03:39:27 PM
There are too many variables that none of us know the answers to, so any opinions offered here are sure to be flawed. [...]

I don't think there can be that many variables. Under what circumstances is it OK for a commander's boss to publicly undermine his/her authority?

vorteks

Quote from: JeffDG on August 21, 2015, 05:53:11 PM
(OK, one exception...if I as a Wing Staffer am visiting a squadron and see something that is unsafe, I can direct that it be ceased, but the Knock it Off directive is about the only exception)

Yeah, and anyone can do that.

Al Sayre

Quote from: veritec on August 21, 2015, 05:55:56 PM
There are too many variables that none of us know the answers to, so any opinions offered here are sure to be flawed. [...]

I don't think there can be that many variables. Under what circumstances is it OK for a commander's boss to publicly undermine his/her authority?

When he/she relieves them for cause...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

NC Hokie

You illustrate my point by assuming that [insert next echelon title here] = next echelon commander.  We don't know that to be the case, and any reasoned response to the OP requires that information as the starting point.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

vorteks

Quote from: NC Hokie on August 21, 2015, 07:21:18 PM

You illustrate my point by assuming that [insert next echelon title here] = next echelon commander.  We don't know that to be the case, and any reasoned response to the OP requires that information as the starting point.

True, I was making that assumption. I thought you were, too, but I apparently misunderstood the last sentence of your post.

Storm Chaser

Unless you're doing something unsafe, immoral or illegal or are violating a regulation, supplement, instruction or policy, no one from a higher echelon (group, wing, etc.) should be telling your squadron to change your staff assignments or organizational structure. This is especially true when it comes to staff officers, who don't have any command authority.

Without having all the details, what you described is in compliance with CAPP 52-15. I recommend your squadron commander talk to the group commander or wing commander if your wing doesn't have groups. They should be able to clarify this quickly.

foo

As a matter of fact it was the group commander.

Storm Chaser

This is still not appropriate, not even for the group commander. Squadron assignments, especially regarding cadets, is the responsibility of the squadron commander. I suggest the squadron commander talks to the group commander directly to discuss this issue. If the squadron commander and group commander can't come up with acceptable resolution, then the squadron commander can contact the wing commander.

MSG Mac

A higher echelon Commander CANNOT order personnel changes within another unit.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Storm Chaser

I think SHOULD NOT is more appropriate. That said, it's definitely NOT a good practice since it undermines the authority of the lower echelon commander. I would certainly consider any suggestions made by my wing commander, but would not make personnel changes within my command unless I agree with the changes.

All applicable regulations support the commander's authority and responsibility to make duty assignments within his or her command.

Quote from: CAPR 20-1, Para. 15a[Commanders] are authorized a staff to assist in the accomplishment of the various assigned tasks and should delegate appropriate authority to staff members in discharging the unit's mission. Commanders retain full responsibility for the actions of their staff.

Quote from: CAPR 35-1, Para. 1-1A unit commander is authorized to assign personnel to specific duties and positions within his/her unit; remove personnel from specific duties and positions within his/her unit; and reassign personnel from one duty position to another within his/her unit.

Quote from: CAPR 52-16, Para. 4-1The unit commander assigns ranking cadets to the unit's cadet staff so they may put into practice the abstract leadership concepts they study in their textbooks.

Quote from: CAPP 52-15, Para. 1.3Unit commanders should select the organizational structure best suited for their unit, or even customize one of the orga- nizational charts suggested in this handbook.

And to readdress the OP initial post, CAPP 52-15 states the following:

Quote from: CAPP 52-15, Para. 1.2When selecting cadets to serve on the cadet staff, senior members should try to tie-together three things: the cadet's leadership skill, their rank, and their job.

...For example, if the ranking cadet is an airman, their position still should be limited to element leader because we want to match them with a job that is appropriate for their leadership skill and rank – it would be premature to appoint that cadet as cadet commander. If the ranking cadet is a master sergeant, that cadet could serve as flight sergeant or first sergeant, but higher positions like flight commander and cadet commander should remain vacant. (emphasis mine)

By assigning cadets to positions that match their rank and skill, we ensure each cadet has a leadership challenge that is appropriate. Further, by keeping high positions vacant until cadets achieve rank commensurate with the positions, we give the ranking cadet(s) additional challenges to strive towards and a reason to pursue promotions. As the cadets advance in CAP and mature as leaders, they can gradually be promoted into higher positions on the cadet staff.

Spam

Well said, Chaser.

Tell your CC to stick to his guns, OP. Y'all are doing it right.

V/R,
Spam

Flying Pig

The fact that the Group Commander stepped in to appoint a Cadet Commander at a local Squadron is micromanaging and well outside the scope of what a Group CC needs to be concerned about.  There were many levels within the structure to address this.   Is there no Deputy Commander for Cadets at this unit?

Given all of this input though, is any of this within your control?  If not my suggestion would be to just continue on in your pay grade and not overly concern yourself with obvious internal command politics.  Chances are since you are a cadet, your input on this is zero to none.  There is a lot to be said for just staying in your own lane in this particular case.  (and please don't cite turning a blind eye to illegal activity...evil prevails when good men do nothing... blah blah blah)

JeffDG

Quote from: MSG Mac on August 22, 2015, 02:41:00 AM

I would say "should not".  Cannot is a bit of a stretch.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: JeffDG on August 23, 2015, 01:18:37 AM
Quote from: MSG Mac on August 22, 2015, 02:41:00 AM

I would say "should not".  Cannot is a bit of a stretch.

I think it's a bit more than "should not," but less than "cannot."

Maybe..."extra should not?" Or..."very should not?"

(Super should not?)

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

foo

Quote from: Flying Pig on August 22, 2015, 06:29:07 PM
The fact that the Group Commander stepped in to appoint a Cadet Commander at a local Squadron is micromanaging and well outside the scope of what a Group CC needs to be concerned about.  There were many levels within the structure to address this.   Is there no Deputy Commander for Cadets at this unit?

Given all of this input though, is any of this within your control?  If not my suggestion would be to just continue on in your pay grade and not overly concern yourself with obvious internal command politics.  Chances are since you are a cadet, your input on this is zero to none.  There is a lot to be said for just staying in your own lane in this particular case.  (and please don't cite turning a blind eye to illegal activity...evil prevails when good men do nothing... blah blah blah)

He didn't appoint anyone, just said the fact we don't have a C/CC is going to change by his authority. We're a cadet squadron, so no DCC. I'm one of the SLOs.

Storm Chaser

While the group commander's comment may have been inappropriate, this is something the squadron commander will have to discuss with him or her. Once the squadron commander explains the reasons for the current cadet structure, the group commander may desist of wanting to make changes. The squadron commander may respectfully refer to the regulations and pamphlet quoted.

At the end of the day, none of our opinions regarding this issue really matter. This if something they both have to resolve through dialog and privately. And if that doesn't work, then through the chain of command.