Don't try to be first in line for new CPPT

Started by dwb, February 18, 2015, 02:29:17 AM

Tim Medeiros

Guess I need to contact my wing commander for a conversation....
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Eclipse

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on February 18, 2015, 10:55:10 PM
Guess I need to contact my wing commander for a conversation....

The Senior Leadership must enter completion of the summary conversation to receive credit for the Cadet Protection Basic Course.

The following Duty Postions(sic) can enter evaluations for this skill:
Commander, Deputy Commander, Deputy Commander for Cadets, Deputy Commander for Seniors, Director of Cadet Programs, Director of Personnel, Director of Professional Development, Personnel Officer, Professional Development Officer & Vice Commander

Presumably the respective proper staff officer at the lower levels may also have the conversations and enter credit - no Directors or Vice below Wing.

"That Others May Zoom"

Tim Medeiros

However, who gives them their conversation and says they can give it to others? 

I can't in good conscience direct my PDO to give me a summary conversation without them having had it first.  For that matter, where the heck is the guide for it?
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

dwb

I tried approving my own summary conversation, but it didn't work. >:D

dwb

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on February 18, 2015, 11:09:12 PMI can't in good conscience direct my PDO to give me a summary conversation without them having had it first.  For that matter, where the heck is the guide for it?

At some point somebody has to give the first summary conversation. That person will be signing off before they themselves are signed off. It's like when TLC first launched in 2006. The first directors in every Wing were running the course before they took it as students.

You can find the case studies, etc. here: http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/cadet_protection/cpb-classroom/

Eclipse

Quote from: dwb on February 18, 2015, 11:19:59 PM
Quote from: Tim Medeiros on February 18, 2015, 11:09:12 PMI can't in good conscience direct my PDO to give me a summary conversation without them having had it first.  For that matter, where the heck is the guide for it?

At some point somebody has to give the first summary conversation. That person will be signing off before they themselves are signed off. It's like when TLC first launched in 2006. The first directors in every Wing were running the course before they took it as students.

You can find the case studies, etc. here: http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/cadet_protection/cpb-classroom/

+1 You're simply "discussing" the case studies.  There's no pass/fail, and since the whole thing is in the text, hard to misunderstand.
As has been mentioned, there's really nothing new in here that isn't already in the ether - more stress on grooming, but beyond that,
just common sense and procedure.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Conversation complete, approvals entered, now sitting for approval.

A few issues - the approval cycle is a bit wonky - about the same as a typical SQTR, it also shows
a date of 01 01 1900 at times.

Also the "review questions" button just pops a blank screen.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on February 18, 2015, 11:09:12 PM
However, who gives them their conversation and says they can give it to others? 

I can't in good conscience direct my PDO to give me a summary conversation without them having had it first.  For that matter, where the heck is the guide for it?

I agree with others. There's no requirement for the officer giving the summary conversation to have done it first. The regulation, case studies and all the CPPT materials are there, available for them to read.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote3-5. Cadet Protection Parents' Guide.
CAP makes a Parents' Guide to the CAP Cadet Program available to the parents or guardians of all cadets. Although not formatted as a course of study, this resource communicates to parents basic facts about CAP, the Cadet Program, the CPP in particular, important strategies for preventing child abuse, how to report concerns or potentially abusive incidents, and other topics. Squadron commanders will point parents of cadets who joined before this regulation took effect to the Parents' Guide at capmembers.com/parents.

I'm assuming a rewrite of said guide is planned, as currently the "CPP" gets ZERO mention directly, and only the following overall: .

QuoteAdult Supervision
CAP takes its responsibility to safeguard youth very seriously. The adults who interact with cadets (known as CAP senior members) have been fingerprinted and screened by the FBI. Senior members supervise all cadet activities. During overnight activities, at least two senior members are present. CAP does not tolerate sexual abuse, physical abuse, hazing or the use of exercise as punishment. All activities emphasize safety.  As part of their leadership training, advanced cadets mentor and lead new cadets under the guidance of senior members.

Not quite what the reg currently describes.

Also, the implementation guide is twice as long as the reg (at least by page count!).

Eclipse

Advanced done, approved, and recorded for posterity.

Approvals are going direct to, and only to the Wing CC.  I can't imagine that will stay like that very long, after the first hundred or so emails
I would posit the Wing CCs will be asking for them to go to the DCP and other staff. 

Took two passes on the quiz because a couple of questions are a little wonky.

Interestingly, in the guide there's a reference to "a space for Mom to sign..." in regards to the F32 - I guess
Dad's aren't allowed to?[/nitpicky]

There are also some syntax issues between the quiz and the regs or forms.  "Must"
on the quiz where it's "should" on the reg or form, etc.  They really should all match end-to-end.

In general the material covers the information necessary and does so pretty comprehensively. I just wish
we didn't live in a world it was necessary, both in terms of the abusers out there, and in terms of CAP
leaders and staff making better common-sense decisions, but such is life.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on February 19, 2015, 06:08:16 PM
Advanced done, approved, and recorded for posterity.

Approvals are going direct to, and only to the Wing CC.  I can't imagine that will stay like that very long, after the first hundred or so emails
I would posit the Wing CCs will be asking for them to go to the DCP and other staff. 

Took two passes on the quiz because a couple of questions are a little wonky.

Interestingly, in the guide there's a reference to "a space for Mom to sign..." in regards to the F32 - I guess
Dad's aren't allowed to?[/nitpicky]

There are also some syntax issues between the quiz and the regs or forms.  "Must"
on the quiz where it's "should" on the reg or form, etc.  They really should all match end-to-end.

In general the material covers the information necessary and does so pretty comprehensively. I just wish
we didn't live in a world it was necessary, both in terms of the abusers out there, and in terms of CAP
leaders and staff making better common-sense decisions, but such is life.

At the very least, no one can claim ignorance when they get smacked for letting bad things happen and not following procedure.

Tim Day

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on February 18, 2015, 01:46:44 PM
Quote from: MSG Mac on February 18, 2015, 05:07:53 AM
Just checked on line, they must have completely removed the "New" CPPT, not there.
It's there, in the professional development category of LMS.

Seems to be in the Cadet Programs category now.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

Eclipse

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on February 19, 2015, 06:17:07 PM
At the very least, no one can claim ignorance when they get smacked for letting bad things happen and not following procedure.

You would be surprised at the human capability for claiming ignorance.  Not to mention the propensity to "know better, but act anyway".

How many cadets and seniors do we see just here that are looking for any loophole to drop cadets for push-ups, etc., or maintain
their hazing "tradition".

I'm all for flexibility and sometimes you have to punt, but generally if you have to do too much mental gymnastics to justify a position,
you probably need to reconsider the action. However there there are a lot of "leaders" and staff who use "divide by zero" as their guide, not the
exception.

This certainly isn't unique to CAP, I see it with my kid's Scout Troop all the time, but it seems to come out more in CAP
because of the paramilitary environment, and inconsistent leader training which is a much about watching movies as being mentored.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on February 19, 2015, 06:32:22 PM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on February 19, 2015, 06:17:07 PM

You would be surprised at the human capability for claiming ignorance.  Not to mention the propensity to "know better, but act anyway".

How many cadets and seniors do we see just here that are looking for any loophole to drop cadets for push-ups, etc., or maintain
their hazing "tradition".

I'm all for flexibility and sometimes you have to punt, but generally if you have to do too much mental gymnastics to justify a position,
you probably need to reconsider the action. However there there are a lot of "leaders" and staff who use "divide by zero" as their guide, not the
exception.

This certainly isn't unique to CAP, I see it with my kid's Scout Troop all the time, but it seems to come out more in CAP
because of the paramilitary environment, and inconsistent leader training which is a much about watching movies as being mentored.

Oh, they can act dumb, but once they get caught, and get 2B'd/removed/demoted/etc for it, they can't claim ignorance, because eServices will have the date of their completion.

Luis R. Ramos

Eclipse-

Developers have seen too many/much? Hollywood material.

If you remember Hollywood movies and TV shows, dads are dumb or clueless, abusive, and generally cannot be trusted to take care of their kids.     >:D   ::)
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on February 19, 2015, 07:12:50 PM

I didn't say devs (or at least not the new material devs).

If you remember Hollywood movies and TV shows, dads are dumb or clueless, abusive, and generally cannot be trusted to take care of their kids.

((*sigh*)) sadly you are all too correct.  We're not even needed in the build process anymore, yet people wonder what's wrong with society.

"That Others May Zoom"

THRAWN

Quote from: Eclipse on February 19, 2015, 08:02:05 PM

I didn't say devs (or at least not the new material devs).

If you remember Hollywood movies and TV shows, dads are dumb or clueless, abusive, and generally cannot be trusted to take care of their kids.

((*sigh*)) sadly you are all too correct.  We're not even needed in the build process anymore, yet people wonder what's wrong with society.

We are way too busy watching sports in our briefs, ranting about raising morons, and getting fat to be that involved.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

dwb

I thought the advanced course was top notch. Lots of really useful information. The basic course was fine, but it is definitely basic. I need to go through the final version of the wingman course to see how it came out (a couple of our squadrons field tested it late last year).

Майор Хаткевич

How does one get into it? The online system won't let SMs in.

Eclipse

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on February 18, 2015, 10:30:59 PM
Same here...just need to talk to...my boss. :)

It's classroom training...

http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/cadet_protection/cp-wingman/

I wonder what it costs to license a chunk of a major motion picture like that?
In that there are >no< titles or copyright notices anywhere on that clip, one has to ask if it was posted without consideration
of rights or licensing.

Also, is it really that hard at the national level to find video that >doesn't< contain improper uniform wear and policy violations?
Or has it just gotten so bad that it's not worth trying?

"That Others May Zoom"