Lawyers/LEOs: help me with a CharDev idea

Started by Walkman, April 03, 2013, 01:38:25 PM

Walkman

Driving to work this morning in a state of not having enough sleep coupled with not having enough caffeine yet either, I had an idea for my next CharDev session on the 4th week. I was thinking about the FAPS analysis process and other kinds of scenarios I could present to the cadets besides the "after-school special" ones in the book.

Then I thought about a jury. They're presented with a series of arguments and evidence that they have to sort through and basically perform a FAPS analysis to determine guilt or innocence. My idea is to present an abbreviated court scenario with some witness testimony, some evidence and opening/closing arguments and have the cadets be the jury.

Here's where you law types come in. Where could I find some sample court case to draw from? I'd prefer a case where its not an obvious outcome. Are there things like this used in law school/police training that I could pull from?

Pylon

http://www.justiceharvard.org/resources/the-queen-vs-dudley-and-stephens-1884-the-lifeboat-case/

I have used the Crown v. Dudley & Stephens for Character Dev.  I like it because the basis for the case itself is an ethical dillemma (and can easily lead to follow-on discussion questions for the cadets along the lines of "What would you do?", or "Did they do the right thing but go about it in the wrong way?  And if so, is there a difference?" as well as the age old "Do the ends justify the means" line of questioning).  Nearly endless.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Walkman

Thanks for the tip, however, I've used that one and the Trolley scenario already.

NCRblues

I've have done this very thing! If you write Mcgraw hill ( school book publishing company) and explain who you are and what cap is and what you want to do, they will send you 1 free copy of " constitutional law and contemporary issues " that is used in high school law classes!! It has about 20 mock trial cases already done up, as well as about 30 pages of SCOTUS breakdowns ( the bigger cases of course)
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Walkman

That sounds perfect. Do you think I could get it in time for the 23rd?

NCRblues

Quote from: Walkman on April 03, 2013, 06:59:02 PM
That sounds perfect. Do you think I could get it in time for the 23rd?

I really doubt it. Maybe if you got the letter off today... It took them about 20 days to ship me the book. It's well worth the wait though.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

SarDragon

There's always the phone call route, with letter follow-up.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret