Some tips for format...

Started by anderson_102, February 06, 2013, 06:03:54 PM

anderson_102

So, recently I ran into a little issue.

My CC and I (myself being the CDC) are dealing with some conflict resolution problems. During a CAP activity, we encountered some trouble with a group of cadets and one senior member from another squadron. A cadet NCO from our unit was bullied and mocked by the aforementioned individuals on a multitude of occasions, right in front of us. A meeting with some senior members at our next squadron meeting seemed to indicate that some documentation might be required if we wanted to put a stop to such conduct on the part of the other squadron's members. Now, our squadron commander suggested trying to handle it just between our two units, but that's not my problem.

It was recommended that, whether paperwork gets filed or not, my CC and I make reports of what happened and what we witnessed during the activity in question. Maybe I'm fussing too much over this, but I wanted to know if there was a proper form or publication for documenting such incidents and, if not, what the proper format for doing so might be. Essentially, I will just be making a written report that I witnessed these cadets and one senior member consistently disrespecting and outright bullying our cadet NCO. If anyone who is more familiar with CAP forms and regs could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for your time. Semper vigilans!

RogueLeader

I would write the report as a memorandum for record of your account, and have those that were afflicted or witness there of to do the same.  Be very clear of date/time and only speak to what you actually saw.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

This is why we have IGs.

Also, there are very explicit regulations and procedures in regards to harassment and hazing, and those include both immediate intervention and
required reporting.

See CAPR 52-10 and take the steps as mandated.

"That Others May Zoom"

anderson_102

Quote from: Eclipse on February 06, 2013, 06:14:10 PM
This is why we have IGs.

Also, there are very explicit regulations and procedures in regards to harassment and hazing, and those include both immediate intervention and
required reporting.

See CAPR 52-10 and take the steps as mandated.

I have so little experience dealing with hazing that the word hadn't even popped into my head. Mostly what I was thinking was along the lines of failing to uphold the core value of respect. I'll definitely take a look at CAPR 52-10 and talk to my seniors. Thanks for the rapid feedback. I appreciate the help.  :clap:

Eclipse

^ Yep.

In many cases, the investigation, or even the idea of an investigation, gets enough people's attention that change occurs.

Cadets make honest mistakes all the time, and usually that's all it is, in your case, without wanting you to share details (not a good idea),
the senior(s) involved, or not intervening, would be the real concern here.

We're supposed to be the safety valve.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Yea, if that was happening in front of you, you should have been all over the SM and the cadets rights then on the spot. It may not have been a big deal, or it was a huge deal. Not knowing the specifics makes the imagination run wild with consequences.