Cadets in college

Started by cadetesman, August 23, 2012, 03:57:05 AM

cadetesman

So I've noticed that some cadets stay in as cadets, in college...even some who are in ROTC.

Personally, I really don't see the point of being a cadet after high school....

As for being a Senior Member, I easily can see many rationales for why one would want to be.

Personally, if one is a college student who wants to be in CAP, I see much more possible fulfillment as a Senior Member.

Thoughts?

Thank you

Eclipse

You can be a senior member your entire life, but a cadet only up until 21. Transitioning early slams the door on a lot of opportunities, while not offering nearly as much in return as a new senior member.

There is also the practical reality of age and experience.  A 19 year old cadet is going to be at the top of the adolescent food chain, and usually near the pinnacle of a successful CAP cadet career,  whereas a 19 year old senior member will be starting over, usually expected to bide some time before he has enough real experience to take on serious responsibilities. You can shout about the regs and fairness all you like, but few adults will be interested in interacting with a 19 year old with any expectation that they are peers.  This is just reality.

There are also nontrivial issues of fraternization, with cadets who were peers a day ago and now must be kept at a distance.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

I know a cadet who just started college and is in AFROTC. He was promoted to C/1st Lt right before going off to school, but his personal goals include getting at least his Earhart, and staffing at least one more Encampment as an Executive staff cadet. Can't do either of those as a SM.

I personally stayed on as a cadet when I went off to college, and had hopes of trying to get to C/Major before aging out. It didn't work out, and when I was living in the suburbs for a few weeks in the summer, I went ahead and submitted my request to turn SM (at 20.5 years old). I was then active for a bit the following Summer, and only fully re-engaged this Summer once done with College and moving out of the city and into the area where my squadron is located.

I know of at least one cadet who stayed on during college, earned his Eaker, and took his shots at the Spaatz. He was able to staff a few encampments, helped stand up a new unit, and is now a SM.

It's different everyone, and as Eclipse said, transferring at 18 shuts a lot of doors (NCSAs, IACE, Encampments, Flight Academies, etc), as well as dumping a previous cadet into SM/FO roles where most of the other SM still think of them as cadets/not-really-SMs anyway.

Garibaldi

All I can say is that the grass is greener on the other side. WIWAC, I wanted to be a Senior because they didn't have to march or stand in formation. When I became a Senior, I started to miss all the stuff that I did as a cadet. Granted, I was 25 when I rejoined as a Senior but still.

I don't really think that 2 or 3 years is long enough to really enjoy the aspects of being a cadet at 18 or 19 if you know when it's going to end. You feel rushed, especially if you are cramming CAP into your life as a college student.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Nathan

During college, I earned my Spaatz, went to IACE, and commanded an encampment. It was definitely worth the extra work.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Walkman

IIRC, doesn't Spaatz require 5 years? I can see someone joining later in HS and wanting to stay in during college to have enough TIS to earn the Spaatz.

C/2d Lt

There is a cadet at my squadron who in in college ROTC and is a C/LT. Col(Sorry if the Abbreviation is wrong). He is staying in the squadron, as a cadet, so he can reach his Spaatz. I could be incorrect on this but I have not heard of having to be in for five years for your Spaatz.
C/1st Lt Neuman                                                 Cadet Executive Officer    NER-NY- 135                                    

Kansas Wing Winter Encampment ES Flight-2012       *GTM3, MRO, UDF, FLM, MSA
New York Wing Encampment-
              2012- Golf Flight Inflight
              2013- Charlie Flight Commander- Honor Flight for the Encampment
              2014- Squadron 2 Commander

Eclipse

It's not "being in for five years" it's how much minimum clock time is required to get there based on the spacing of progression and testing.

"That Others May Zoom"

MajorM

Minimum time to Spaatz is 2 years, 8 months if you can manage to promote every two months.

a2capt

Quote from: Nathan on August 23, 2012, 11:23:38 AMDuring college, I earned my Spaatz, went to IACE, and commanded an encampment. It was definitely worth the extra work.
..and I bet you went to the local unit meetings too, and participated :)

Critical AOA

There are many good reasons to stay as a cadet and these have been posted above by others.

Perhaps the best reason though is for leadership experience.  As a senior Cadet, you will have more opportunities to hone your leadership and managerial skills.  This will come in handy later in both your real world life as well as CAP.

Whereas as a junior Senior Member, you could be relegated to back of the room status until you prove yourself to the rest of the seniors and the squadron command staff.  This is probably less of a factor in a composite squadron where the two groups are fairly integrated and you are well known but it is a very real possibility if you are moving from a Cadet squadron to a Senior squadron or making the switch in a less than fully integrated Composite squadron.

There are pros and cons either way and the decision is ultimately up to each individual.   Just don't feel all down and out if you go from being highly regarded as a cadet to somewhat disregarded as a very young senior. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

C/2d Lt

You can also think of it as you can only be a cadet for a certain amount of time and you can become a senior member any time you want after you are 18(To an extent). We recently had a cadet change into a senior member. He likes it however he wishes that he stayed a cadet for longer so he could have advanced in the program more. He also liked the freedoms of the cadet side of things. (Senior members have to be more strict). He did love having the room called to attention and cadet saluting him/calling him sir.
C/1st Lt Neuman                                                 Cadet Executive Officer    NER-NY- 135                                    

Kansas Wing Winter Encampment ES Flight-2012       *GTM3, MRO, UDF, FLM, MSA
New York Wing Encampment-
              2012- Golf Flight Inflight
              2013- Charlie Flight Commander- Honor Flight for the Encampment
              2014- Squadron 2 Commander

KMcCann

I'm currenly in college and I chose to go the senior member route, and I agree that it is a much more fulfilling route to take. I was a C/Capt, so I'm a TFO. With the flight officer program, it also gives me time to do the requirements, and also makes it easier to have a duty position from farther away from the unit. (i.e it's hard to be a flight sergeant when you can't show up to meetings, while an asst ES officer position or asst AE officer position is there to aid the primary with their plans, such as making a powerpoint which cn be emailed)

Another reason I transitioned is because I just turned 18, and I was officially an Adult, and being a cadet still made me feel like a child. This way, especially with the flight officer program, I get a good head start with the tests and specialty tracks as well. But that's just my point of view.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on August 23, 2012, 04:12:02 PM
Whereas as a junior Senior Member, you could be relegated to back of the room status until you prove yourself to the rest of the seniors and the squadron command staff. 

That's just wrong.

Quote from: KMcCann on August 24, 2012, 12:03:47 AM
Another reason I transitioned is because I just turned 18, and I was officially an Adult, and being a cadet still made me feel like a child.

Lots of Children up to the age of 27 occupy certain colleges in this country...

KMcCann

QuoteLots of Children up to the age of 27 occupy certain colleges in this country...

That isn't the point. And those people most likely aren't in CAP anyways.

Eclipse

Quote from: KMcCann on August 24, 2012, 02:34:44 AM
QuoteLots of Children up to the age of 27 occupy certain colleges in this country...

At 18 you've got about 10 years before anyone will consider you an adult.

Now get off my lawn!!!

"That Others May Zoom"

KMcCann

Quote from: Eclipse on August 24, 2012, 03:02:47 AM

Now get off my lawn!!!

You, sir, have one very large lawn.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on August 24, 2012, 03:02:47 AM

Now get off my lawn!!!

Probably at least partially true. At 22/23 most of my friends are still in high school mode...

Eclipse

As well they should.

A lesson learned too late is that you're only young once, but are old forever.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on August 24, 2012, 03:38:33 AM
As well they should.

A lesson learned too late is that you're only young once, but are old forever.

A lesson about 4.5 years late. :)