Question re Recruiting

Started by usafcap1, January 09, 2012, 12:56:46 AM

usafcap1

Would it be appropriate during the interviewing process to say "I guarantee that if you work hard enough you will be a second lieutenant(2LT) in 18 months ". Would this be OK?
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: usafcap1 on January 09, 2012, 12:56:46 AM
Would it be appropriate during the interviewing process to say "I guarantee that if you work hard enough you will be a second lieutenant(2LT) in 18 months ". Would this be OK?
That may be what you say, but the potential recruit will hear "I guarantee you will be a sceond lieutenatn in 18 months." Not OK.

Duke Dillio

I concur.  It is impossible to make these types of guarantees.  Best to just tell them how the program works and let them figure out that if they work hard, they can do it themselves.

Extremepredjudice

Just say "if you work hard enough, you might be able to be a 2nd Lt in 18 months."
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

usafcap1

|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

lordmonar

Don't give guarentees.

Tell them how the promotion system works and leave it at that.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

a2capt

Such a "guarantee", could also give the impression of gundecking to an observer, too..  you wouldn't want that...

Ron1319

"Can" is such a better word than "guarantee" in that situation.  But from a recruiting standpoint, telling them that they can be a C/2Lt in some period of time doesn't mean anything.  The sale is in telling them why they want to advance through and complete the program.
Ronald Thompson, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander, Squadron 85, Placerville, CA
PCR-CA-273
Spaatz #1319