Cadet Honor Guard

Started by shlebz, December 27, 2011, 02:28:55 PM

shlebz

Any suggesions on starting up a new honor guard? how would i go about doing this? and any tricks of the trade i should know?

any input is appreciated!!
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

titanII

This has a lot of good info about all things honor guard: http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/p052_008_b38750453c56c.pdf
I hope this helps!
No longer active on CAP talk

HGjunkie

Yeaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh that won't do too much to help.

To start with, you're going to have to find a willing senior member and 4 cadets MINIMUM (in addition to yourself) to start with. You'll need at least one Senior Member SA (Senior Adviser) and 5 Cadets for an entire basic team. I recommend applying for the National Honor Guard Academy NCSA if you want to start up an Honor Guard, you'll learn so much more that going through the pamphlet. I've gone twice and am still learning a ton of valuable information to help my wing HG. Try to find any cadets/ SM's in your area that have experience in Honor Guard, they'll be a valuable resource. You will also have to get funds for buying all the equipment you'll need (Service coats, Rifles, Flagpoles and harnesses, flag stands, Uniform parts, etc...), the stuff adds up REALLY fast. Like, find a VFW or American Legion that will sponsor you (Or start doing Car washes, you can make some good money that way).

Basically, if you find enough warm bodies who want to do it (one SM minimum for the slot of SA and 4 other cadets, expand as you go) and you all have the willpower to start training by the pamphlet, leaning the drills, maybe send a cadet or two to HGA, and find a good source of funds for equipment, then you should do fine.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF