Cadet Executive/Support staff help?

Started by Andrew the Bold, November 15, 2011, 02:20:36 PM

Andrew the Bold

My Squadron has recently appointed a new cadet commander. I've been made Executive officer, and we've already chosen new line staff and executive staff. We have never had a real, working executive staff before.

We are going to have a staff training day, and I'm supposed to prepare a class on the purpose of executive staff. The only problem is that, since we haven't had executive staff before, I'm not entirely sure that I can give a decent class based on my own knowledge. I've read CAPP-52-15 (the cadet staff handbook), and though it does have some good information, it's not really enough for me to make a 20 minute class on. Does anyone have any other ideas for other places I can find information on this subject, or maybe just some advice from personal experience? Thanks in advance.

(I also looked in CAPR-52-16, it told me to look in CAPP-52-15)

johnnyb47

Perhaps taking something such as an encampment Staff Guide and tailoring it to suit your needs would be beneficial?
Something like this: http://lawgcp.com/doc/2011cadetstaffguide[1].pdf (copy and paste the whole link)
Adjust it to serve your specific purpose and detail what it is that your squadron expects from Cadet Staff.
It gives you a starting point.

Hope this idea helps.
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Salty

I'd do what the above poster recommended.

I would also take what you read in the staff handbook and tailor it to your specific squadron.  Remember that the handbooks are meant as guides and not every squadron is going to be form fitted to the descriptions and duties you see.  You should also get together with the Cadet Commander and ask him/her questions about what they expect from the staff and incorporate that into your speech.  You may want to also give a brief outline of the different staff positions and what they do and will be expected to do in your squadron.  It will give junior cadets guidance on who their staff are, where they fit in the chain of command and who they need to go to for different situations.

The executive staff sets the tone and direction of the cadet program on a cadet level and with guidance from the Deputy Commander for Cadets.
CAP Cadet 1989-1994
CAP Senior Member 1994-1995, 2011-current
USAF Aeromedical Technician 1994-1998

Andrew the Bold

Ron1319

We're willing to give more input if you have more specific questions.  I'd hate to just spout my believes about the purpose of a cadet executive staff and tell you things you already know.
Ronald Thompson, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander, Squadron 85, Placerville, CA
PCR-CA-273
Spaatz #1319