Learn 2 Lead Volume 1 Audio Book

Started by James Shaw, February 16, 2011, 04:03:44 PM

James Shaw

I have spent the last several weeks working on the audio book version of the Learn 2 Lead Volume 1. I have a small inhome "digital studio" where I can record the stuff and edit it on my computer. Once I am done with all of the editing for the first volume (Chapter 1-3) I will be sending it to NHQ for use by Cadet Programs. I believe it will be available in Windows Media format in both Mono and Stereo.

Chapter 1 is about 45 minutes long.
Chapter 2 is about 1 hour long.
Chapter 3 is being edited this week. (Listening to myself talk can be scary and exhausting).

During the last NB I approached alot of cadets and corporate staff about the usefullness of the audio format and received great feedback from both.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

davidsinn

Quote from: caphistorian on February 16, 2011, 04:03:44 PM
I have spent the last several weeks working on the audio book version of the Learn 2 Lead Volume 1. I have a small inhome "digital studio" where I can record the stuff and edit it on my computer. Once I am done with all of the editing for the first volume (Chapter 1-3) I will be sending it to NHQ for use by Cadet Programs. I believe it will be available in Windows Media format in both Mono and Stereo.

Chapter 1 is about 45 minutes long.
Chapter 2 is about 1 hour long.
Chapter 3 is being edited this week. (Listening to myself talk can be scary and exhausting).

During the last NB I approached alot of cadets and corporate staff about the usefullness of the audio format and received great feedback from both.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome.

Who do I need to send the form to, to get you a commander's commendation? ;D That is a lifesaver for some of my cadets. I would very much like your files when they're done weather NHQ takes them or not.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

ColonelJack

Quote from: caphistorian on February 16, 2011, 04:03:44 PM

I've heard you talk, Jim.  It is scary.   ;)

Seriously, I think it's a great idea.  Using audio format for study guides and/or texts would be a great help for folks who spend a lot of time on the go (like me).

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

a2capt

Okay, I'll byte:

Why WMV? Why not MP3?

So every device known to man can use it. What a concept.

James Shaw

Quote from: a2capt on February 16, 2011, 06:29:06 PM
Okay, I'll byte:

Why WMV? Why not MP3?

So every device known to man can use it. What a concept.

My software won't convert to MP3. I will have to look for the software to do that. I don's really care which format it is done in as long as it is usefull and relevant. Thanks for the suggestion.
Jim Shaw

a2capt

Sorry, wasn't meaning to be snippy, though, I just get frustrated with this "lets use less universal" formats.

If you have iTunes installed, right click, "Convert to MP3".

James Shaw

I don't but I will look for the software anyhow. I didn't take it as being snippy.
Jim Shaw

researchdoc

SUPER ©
Converts anything to anything.. audio and video...
works great and a clean, safe download and program
Download Here http://erightsoft.podzone.net/GetFile.php?SUPERsetup.exe
Read About Here  http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html
Fast too.... I use it every day..
Public Affairs Officer NC-022
22nd v2.0 Podcast:  http://burlcapcast.net.tf
NC-022 Website:  http://doubledeuces.org

tarheel gumby

That is great, some of our cadets learn more by hearing by reading :clap: :clap:
I know one that would like to have it in an audio format.
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

James Shaw

Quote from: researchdoc on February 16, 2011, 06:58:38 PM
SUPER ©
Converts anything to anything.. audio and video...
works great and a clean, safe download and program
Download Here http://erightsoft.podzone.net/GetFile.php?SUPERsetup.exe
Read About Here  http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html
Fast too.... I use it every day..

Thanks, I appreciate it. Maybe it can change my voice to make me sound like James Earl Jones or Tom selleck....
Jim Shaw

arajca

Or see if there are any CAP members who have a oratory flair and voice who would be interested in helping out.

researchdoc

Funny you should mention that... I use other free software to somewhat accomplish that very thing... James Earl Jones 'esk....
Congrats on the endeavor.
Public Affairs Officer NC-022
22nd v2.0 Podcast:  http://burlcapcast.net.tf
NC-022 Website:  http://doubledeuces.org

Elioron

Quote from: arajca on February 16, 2011, 07:10:54 PM
Or see if there are any CAP members who have a oratory flair and voice who would be interested in helping out.

I've done voice-overs before and may be able to arrange studio time at the radio station where I work for future projects, but it sounds like the recording work is finished on this one.
Scott W. Dean, Capt, CAP
CDS/DOS/ITO/Comm/LGT/Admin - CP
PCR-WA-019

coudano

I'll bet nhq will take it.

A nerd like me would load it up on my ipod, and listen to it while i exercise
not sure that any of my cadets would do that, but maybe if it was available

James Shaw

Quote from: arajca on February 16, 2011, 07:10:54 PM

When I did the Flying Minute Men Audio Book I got my wife, sister-in-laws, and nieces to do the female voices for the book. That was alot of fun.
Jim Shaw

James Shaw

Volume 1 is done. I will be converting it and sending the discs to NHQ. Volume 2 will be started on next week.
Jim Shaw

davidsinn

Quote from: caphistorian on February 17, 2011, 06:22:56 PM
Volume 1 is done. I will be converting it and sending the discs to NHQ. Volume 2 will be started on next week.

Can you host these somewhere on the net? I have need of them right now if you can arrange it.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

James Shaw

Quote from: davidsinn on February 17, 2011, 09:52:01 PM
Can you host these somewhere on the net? I have need of them right now if you can arrange it.

I am sending the discs to NHQ tuesday. I have converted them to WAV format and MP3 format. I have been given preliminary word that they will be on the cadet programs page. I am not sure how long it will take to do that.

Chp 1 MP3 40MB
Chp 2 MP3 53MB
Chp 3 MP3 55MB

I also put the recordings through a program called Levelator which balanced out my voice and took alot of distortion out. Excellent suggestion by fellow cap talker researchdoc.

I cannot send them directly to anyone, but I do not feel that it will take long to get them on the website once they have QC'd the product. I will start on Volume 2 Chapters 4-8 tomorrow. It will take a few weeks to do them. I intend on being done by end of March. I start back to class at the end of this week. I will get done as much as I can before then.

I have had a few emails about what this has to do with history....Answer I am a CAP member first and am rated in CP(M), AE(M), PAO(M), HO(M), OE(M), and Safety(T). I use what ever skills I have in ways I feel will benefit the program or people. Just like everyone else.
Jim Shaw

Paul Creed III

Have you considered a free Dropbox account and sharing them out to the rest of the world that way? Send me a PM if you would like a referral link.

Thank you for your excellent work on this project!
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

shorning

Audacity is another program  to consider for recording. 

James Shaw

Quote from: Paul Creed III on February 21, 2011, 06:18:26 PM
Have you considered a free Dropbox account and sharing them out to the rest of the world that way? Send me a PM if you would like a referral link.

Thank you for your excellent work on this project!

NHQ has to decide how to distribute. If they tell me that I can do that than I would be more than happy to share.

Your welcome, it has been fun.

Quote from: shorning on February 21, 2011, 06:25:35 PM
Audacity is another program  to consider for recording. 

I was told about that one to but did not use it. I appreciate the link and may use it in the future.
Jim Shaw

bosshawk

Has anyone, other than me, thought about the necessity to develop a similar program for Seniors who desire to attain leadership positions within CAP?  Or who currently occupy leadership positions?
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Paul Creed III

That sounds like a great idea: record the excellent instructors on video.

BillB

I offered to do a series of videos 15 years ago of instructors at National Staff College, and Cadet Leadership School. National didn't even bother returing the snail mail.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Paul Creed III

That was 15 years ago. With NHQ's push for online learning, they might be interested.

James Shaw

Had a chat with folks at NHQ today about Volume 1 of Learn to Lead Audio Book. They will be putting the Windows Media Version on the Cadet Programs page in a few weeks. I have to make some modifications to the tracks to make them smaller and more accessible.

Chapter 1 is 45 minutes long and that is to much for a single download (480MB/Stereo). I will be splitting the Chapters by objectives to make it easier for download. I am also going to send them the MP3 version and when they change their ISP they should be able to add that to the page.

I finished recording Chapters 4 thru 7 and will record Chapter 8 tomorrow morning. My voice gets tired. It will take a few weeks to edit the remaining chapters. They will then be sent to NHQ in the same format. I have started two classes this week and I have to do this between that and prepping for other CAP business.
Jim Shaw

Eclipse

Quote from: caphistorian on March 01, 2011, 08:18:58 PMChapter 1 is 45 minutes long and that is to much for a single download (480MB/Stereo).

They don't need to be stereo - 64k mono should be fine, this is an audiobook, not "Tommy".  As an MP3 you should be able to get them down to 50Mb's or
less per 45 Min chapter.

With that said, there are plenty of free hosting services without bandwith caps that could serve up the files, including Rapishare, Megaupload, and similar.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Change their ISP? Thats what they said? Or is it this lame crap CMS they're using again, that has fits about a filetype extension?

I'm sorry, but they got sold a bill of goods. The whole thing sucks. I guess we'll have to convert it and post it ourselves so it can be used elsewhere.

Lets sick 'em with an equal access complaint. Maybe they'll figure out that the CMS sucks and do something about it. MP3 is pretty darn universal, .WMV is close to proprietary, though not nearly as bad as Sony ATRACious. ;)

James Shaw

There is no need to get upset with NHQ. They are doing their absolute best and this is a new venture. If there is any fault it would be with me in the translation in what they say. They have been nothing but supporting about the project.
Jim Shaw

James Shaw

Greetings All!

The MP3 download I had used for the first conversion was on my older computer. I got a new computer and I tried to download the same MP3 converter from the same website. They now charge for the download. Does any know of a WAV to MP3 converter that does not cost any money.

I have completed all of the Volume 1 and ready to send to NHQ for inclusion on the NHQ website. I would like to have the MP3 option available. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Jim Shaw

Paul Creed III

BillB

Can't you transfer the program from the old computer to new computer?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

EMT-83

How about online-convert.com? I used to use media-convert.com, but it doesn't appear to be active.

James Shaw

Thanks folks. Found one as per a suggestion Daniusoft. With that it is finally 100% done. I will be sending the final product to Neil Probst at NHQ tomorrow. I know they are going to put the WAV version on the webpage but I am not sure about the others. I will see if I can find a CAP home for the MP3 version. I will have to request permission from CAP NHQ before doing so.

Each Chapter is broken down into objectives.

Chapter 1 has 11 Tracks
Chapter 2 has 24 Tracks
Chapter 3 has 10 Tracks

They are named so that they follow along exactly with the books.

;) ;) ;) I also put a subliminal mesage on there that says "promote Jim to General"  ;D ;D ;D
Jim Shaw

BillB

promote Jim to General

Don't you have to make Colonel first? Is the Georgia Wing Commander position open?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

James Shaw

Quote from: BillB on April 10, 2011, 06:21:15 PM
Don't you have to make Colonel first? Is the Georgia Wing Commander position open?

Mere technicalities Mr. Bill! Col Tonya Boylan is the GAWG Commander and she just passed her 1st year as CC.  She is a great lady
Jim Shaw

mmizner

Have they been posted?  If so where?

thanks!
-Mike

www.nvwgcadets.org

James Shaw

Well folks Neil Probst, Curt LaFond, and the folks at NHQ  have done a great job and put the CAP Learn To Lead Volume 1 Chapter 1-3 on the CAP Cadet webpage. I have provided a link. Click on the blue "play" button and it will give you a chance to download it in MP3 format. Please feel free to share this with the cadets.

If you like it then please let let me know, If you dont!...tell your pet  ;D

More may come depending on the feedback and response from this.

http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/library/learn_to_lead.cfm
Jim Shaw

James Shaw

Received some feedback from CAP / NHQ about the audio book I did last year for Volume 1, It was put on the CAP website in May of 2011.

I have also done some estimated calculations based on their numbers for the three week cycle they measured.

CAP's Numbers from their email.

L2L chapter 1 audio file downloads: 126
L2L chapter 2 audio file downloads: 58
L2L chapter 3 audio file downloads: 67

This was measured on a three week cycle as indicated in the original email. Since this was put on there, it has been approximately 40 weeks. This is 13.3 cycles (three week cycles).

L2L chapter 1 audio file downloads: 126      126 x 13.3 cycles                   = 1676 downloads
L2L chapter 2 audio file downloads: 58      58 x 13.3 cycles       = 771 downloads
L2L chapter 3 audio file downloads: 67      67 x 13.3 cycles      = 891 downloads

251 Downloads/cycle   =3338 downloads for the year so far.
I will put a +/- of 10% for statistical purposes that is still 3000+
Even at 3000 that is 11 downloads and visits to the CAP website per day.

This is without advertising and marketing. They said they will publicize it more when the next Volume is done.
Jim Shaw

BillB

With the number of downloads listed, brings up the question, How Many DCP's know the download is available for their cadets?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

James Shaw

Quote from: BillB on March 07, 2012, 12:17:59 PM
With the number of downloads listed, brings up the question, How Many DCP's know the download is available for their cadets?

I am not sure Bill. They did not advertise or really post it on a significant scale last year. They plan on doing a bigger release when the next Volume is complete. They also plan on sending it to all the Wings / Regions and doing an internal release so more people will know about it. It has proven to be a great tool for a good number of people. This is without advertising, so I would imagine it would have a greater impact and more downloads when the next one is complete.
Jim Shaw

a2capt

It's a shame the only mention of "audio" is three times, once for each link. Buried because the page is kinda busy and it's all jammed in there.

"Audio Book" "Available in MP3 format" should be fairly visible.

If I hear someone say "the CMS can't do it.." i'll scream.

shlebz

Do they (national or anybody) have one for Leadership for the 21st Century?
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

James Shaw

Quote from: shlebz on March 07, 2012, 07:08:08 PM

Volumes 1 and 2 are part of the Leadership for the 21st Century.

Volume 1 has been completed as the audiobook, Volume 2 is in editing phase at the moment.
Jim Shaw

shlebz

Quote from: caphistorian on March 07, 2012, 07:40:24 PM
Quote from: shlebz on March 07, 2012, 07:08:08 PM

Volumes 1 and 2 are part of the Leadership for the 21st Century.

Volume 1 has been completed as the audiobook, Volume 2 is in editing phase at the moment.
would you have a link to where i would be able to download them? I can only find the Audio Books for Learn 2 Lead...
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

a2capt

Quote from: caphistorian on March 07, 2012, 07:40:24 PMVolumes 1 and 2 are part of the Leadership for the 21st Century.
???  Ummm... there seems to be some disconnect here. That's the textbooks from 2000-2010. L2K was replaced by L2L, which is what the audio book here being discussed is a dictation of. I doubt there's a reading of L2K done, and who'd bother now?

James Shaw

Learn 2 Lead Volume 2 Chapters 4-6 have been edited and completed and sent to NHQ. They will put them on the CAP Cadet Web Page after the NB. I will have Chapters 7&8 done by the end of the month.
Jim Shaw