Hazing

Started by flyguy06, June 19, 2006, 01:17:25 PM

capchiro

Phil, Thank you for sharing that.  I have often wondered if we lost a good cadet over that incident.  Thankfully not.  I am sure that he will continue to be an outstanding cadet and will think twice before he hazes or tolerates hazing in his unit.  I remember being amazed when the offending senior member got outstanding member of the year at conference that year.  If it would have been one of my cadets, I would have turned her in.  That isn't much of an excuse on my part, though.  We need to try to get our squadrons together for some activity sometime.  Harry
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

dwb

Quote from: flyguy06 on June 20, 2006, 12:58:29 PM
Hazing is an undefinable term.

Except that it has been defined.

Quote"Hazing is defined as any conduct whereby someone causes another to suffer or to be exposed to any activity that is cruel, abusive, humiliating, oppressive, demeaning, or harmful."

Push-ups for punishment has been deemed physical abuse, and a violation of the cadet protection policy.  CPP covers abuse, not hazing.  Hazing is a separate policy.  Scott O'Grady doesn't drone on talk about hazing.

Hazing is a misunderstood concept, and given that two reasonable individuals can still disagree on what constitutes hazing, I'd say NHQ still has some work to do.

At our encampment staff workshop this month, we studied a case where someone was hazed, but no one did the hazing.  That's an interesting topic!

capchiro

Interesting, please tell us more about your recent training.  How can one be hazed, if the above definition of hazing: Hazing is defined as any conduct whereby someone causes another to suffer or to be exposed.., requires someone to do the hazing in the first place and your scenario says there was no one doing the hazing?
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Nathan

Quote from: capchiro on June 22, 2006, 02:31:16 PM
Interesting, please tell us more about your recent training.  How can one be hazed, if the above definition of hazing: Hazing is defined as any conduct whereby someone causes another to suffer or to be exposed.., requires someone to do the hazing in the first place and your scenario says there was no one doing the hazing?

Ha. Famous Kansas saying:

"Orders of the DAY... HAZE YOURSELF!"

:D
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Marine Corps Gal

Poor fella... I wouldn't call that hazing, but it's definitely an uncomfortable situation that I would never want to be in.  ;D
OO-RAH.

tkelley004

Quote from: capchiro on June 20, 2006, 08:31:08 PM
Zigzag911 is right on the money.  The only thing I can add is that we as commanders were directed by Wing and Wing legals not to teach CPPT to the cadets until 18.  I will tell you that this is being looked at on a National level and there may be some changes coming down the line in the future.  Hazing is not an option in the program and cadets in leadership positions are not taught what is and what is not hazing.  There are a lot of senior members that either don't know or could care less.  A prominent senior member in our wing thinks it's okay to make a cadet get in front of other cadets in formation and sing "I'm a little teapot, short and stout, etc." Because they forgot their watch (as in timepiece) in the bathroom, while preparing for drill competition.  With this going on, how are the cadet leaders supposed to know what is right and what is wrong?  My cadets return from observing this activity and think it's funny and want to do it with their subordinates.  Not on my watch..  Too many years in CAP to try to buck the regs, especially since they really make sense if you have been around long enough to understand the program.

The unit commanders course (UCC) has a great hazing lesson with a focus on prevention and education. I have used it with cadet NCO's and Officers in the past. You can find the lesson plan here http://level2.cap.gov/index.cfm?nodeID=5448

Tim Kelley, Lt Col, CAP
Commander, Group Three
Colorado Wing
Tim Kelley, Lt Col, CAP
Bellingham Composite Squadron
Retired USAF SMSgt

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: Nathan on July 11, 2006, 02:16:40 PM
Quote from: capchiro on June 22, 2006, 02:31:16 PM

Ha. Famous Kansas saying:

"Orders of the DAY... HAZE YOURSELF!"

:D

ROFLMAO! I'd almost forgotten that phrase!

NCR 04, Camp Dodge, right?

"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven: