Missing Person Searches

Started by AALTIS, June 16, 2013, 07:08:52 PM

AALTIS

In my area, missing person searches have not been done by CAP except for very rare occasions.  I would like to find out if other units out there conduct these operations on a regular basis.  If so, what type of preplans or MOUs do you have with the local agencies?

Alan Altis, Captain
EMT/ B
MO Wing Group I
Emergency Services &
Communications Officer

Woodsy

We have done a couple searches for missing swimmers caught in rip currents.  Both missions were through an MOU with a city government.

A.Member

Yes.  Building and maintaining relationships with local agencies is key.   Involve them in SAREX's, etc. whenever possible.  An MOU isn't necessarily a requirement nor is it a guarantee that you'll get a call.  CAP key value is as a force multiplier.   Don't oversell the service and be competent.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

RiverAux

No MOU is needed.  They just need to make a request to the NOC and it is almost guaranteed to get approved and funded by the AF. 

MacGruff

The squadron I'm with was called out twice for missing person searched in the last four months. I am too junior to know what formal relationships exist to make that happen Sorry.

SARDOC

I wouldn't say we do it on a regular basis.  Missing Person searches are normally the domain of the local Law Enforcement Agency and they usually do so on their own unless they deem fit to expand the search.  The Process from there is that agency contacts the State Emergency Operations Center that has a 24 hour watch commander that starts organizing the multiple search organizations in the state CAP included.  The State EOC and the Civil Air Patrol have an agreement and it basically just lines out who pays for what.  The State EOC is well briefed on what to call the AFRCC for and what to call the NOC for.  It's actually pretty neat to see this process in effect.

CavScout

There was one recently where as soon as the local Sheriff Dept was given the search for a missing person by local the PD, they called the local CAP unit in soon after. The sqdn were at the staging area early the next morning. They searched in street cloths instead of uniforms though. They couldn't get offcially activated in time, so they just searched as volunteers with what few other groups turned out.

I'm sure that unit has an even better chance of being called up by the local Sheriff Dept, now that they've helped out and had a better meet-and-greet. From what I know, the initial networking was all done at a local "National Night Out" event.

RiverAux

Thats pretty strange.  Usually the NOC can get a mission activated pretty quickly.