Tools/Technology to Enhance the ES Mission?

Started by A.Member, June 14, 2013, 03:13:45 PM

Eclipse

What the heck are they using?  Do you know how far down into Playskool feature phones you have to drill to
find one without a GPS these days?

They don't have to be a GS4 or iPhone 5 for this to work.

"That Others May Zoom"

Brad

What about APRS-like polling via CAP radios? Enough tweaking and almost any radio can send an APRS burst on any frequency that is set up to listen and interpret. And if you hook a GPS unit into the radio that can decode the GPS information it can send that too, so you get near-realtime tracking of aircraft, vehicles, and groundteams over conventional VHF.

I can even send an APRS packet via straight DTMF if the receiving station is set up right to decode it, doesn't take things too special. Well true you don't get GPS reporting, you only get the nearest receiving site, but it's still neat, and I think it would be a good capability demonstration.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Fubar

Quote from: Brad on June 15, 2013, 08:59:39 AM
What about APRS-like polling via CAP radios? Enough tweaking and almost any radio can send an APRS burst on any frequency that is set up to listen and interpret. And if you hook a GPS unit into the radio that can decode the GPS information it can send that too, so you get near-realtime tracking of aircraft, vehicles, and groundteams over conventional VHF.

There are wings that used to do this. National HQ no longer allows it.

wuzafuzz

What about APRS-like polling via CAP radios?

APRS is a blast.  I use it frequently with my ham radios.

It has worked well for mobiles with high power transmitters and good antennas, and I've used portable devices in aircraft (with external antenna) as well. Performance with low power, portable ground stations has been dismal.  That's what pushed me to acquire a SPOT device. 

Part of the beauty of SPOT (and similar gadgets) is they work where cell phones and our VHF coverage don't.

Quote from: Eclipse on June 15, 2013, 04:37:33 AM
My DOSA recently took a cross-country motorcycle trip and was all excited about us tracking him via the SPOT.
Didn't work worth a darn.  Fog and other poor weather, mountains, and other factors made the thing all but useless.

No device is perfect, but something must have been wrong with the SPOT in that story.  I've used mine in all kinds of weather and terrain.  I've taken it into steep canyons specifically to test coverage.  It worked great.  I always make sure I put the thing on the dash to get the best view of the sky.

This image is from a few weeks ago.  It includes some SAREX flying and my drive home from Montrose, CO to Fort Collins.  It can't get much more mountainous than this.  Weather was fantastic though.

Ultimately, use the right tool for the job.  Many people don't need SPOT.  For some, APRS and smartphone based solutions aren't adequate.  I use all three.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

JeffDG

I can even send an APRS packet via straight DTMF if the receiving station is set up right to decode it, doesn't take things too special. Well true you don't get GPS reporting, you only get the nearest receiving site, but it's still neat, and I think it would be a good capability demonstration.
There's actually been a bit of discussion about that type of thing on the CAP-DC listserv lately...

There is a group somewhere looking at things like this.  Basically, our EFJ mobiles have the ability to interleave data on P25 alongside voice...or to dedicate a channel for better bandwidth. 

My thought was put a Raspberry Pi, a GPS and a Card Reader in a briefcase with an EFJ Mobile in a briefcase, with a power plug and antenna connection and you'd be able to send location and photos back to mission base pretty easily.

Brad

Quote from: JeffDG on June 15, 2013, 12:59:45 PM

There's actually been a bit of discussion about that type of thing on the CAP-DC listserv lately...

There is a group somewhere looking at things like this.  Basically, our EFJ mobiles have the ability to interleave data on P25 alongside voice...or to dedicate a channel for better bandwidth. 

My thought was put a Raspberry Pi, a GPS and a Card Reader in a briefcase with an EFJ Mobile in a briefcase, with a power plug and antenna connection and you'd be able to send location and photos back to mission base pretty easily.

Yea the current EF-Johnsons can do a ton of neat things that CAP has barely even touched. There's one here that I had a chance to try out hands-on at a fire expo one year:

http://www.efjohnson.com/products/portables/51FIRE

Among other things, it has a P25 "heartbeat" which sends out a databurst every few seconds to the IC's radio and alerts if anyone is going out of communications range of the IC or other members. It also has an incident mode that can keep the radio from changing channels even if you bump the knob, and in emergency mode it can even stay on with the volume knob completely clicked off! Oh the joys of software radio.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Luis R. Ramos

Eclipse-

Can you post more info on Latitude? Like the website, requirements, your experience with it...

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

It's pretty straightforward.

https://latitude.google.com

Any device that can load the app can connect to their servers.  Then you share your location information with whomever needs it (ie the SUL or GBD, etc.) and from their
they can track your position in real time via the above website.    Works with full GPS or tower coordination, and you can also chat, request a check-in and do some other
low-level functions as well.

It's enabled for a handful of folks I know all the time, including my wife, which is hand because I can see where she's at and vice-versa.

My experience is that is works "pretty good", depending on GPS lock, general cell coverage, etc.  When I've used it with ground teams, it helps
to have team members across the carriers, since then at least one or two of the team will always be tracked, regardless of your boonie-age.

"That Others May Zoom"

bflynn

Quote from: Eclipse on June 16, 2013, 03:57:41 AM
Any device that can load the app can connect to their servers.  Then you share your location information with whomever needs it (ie the SUL or GBD, etc.) and from their
they can track your position in real time via the above website.    Works with full GPS or tower coordination, and you can also chat, request a check-in and do some other
low-level functions as well.

Any OPSEC to be concerned with this?  Not that we're doing super secret missions, but there's no reason to broadcast a GT's position to everyone.

Eclipse

None.  Only people you specifically share your location with can see where you are.

"That Others May Zoom"

JoeTomasone

One thing we have been implementing here in FLWG is a Jabber server so that mission personnel can Instant Message each other.   

The advantages: Works with both mission base and forward-deployed personnel, everyone can see the traffic, it's quiet in the MB (vice phones/radios), and it generates time and date stamped logs.    So, for example, Ops can request a status of CAPxxxx.  Comms sees it, radios the aircraft, and returns the response.  The IC sees the response as well and is updated.   If the question and response concern a found target, the MIO can begin preparing a press release, GBD can direct ground teams (who can be connected via cell phone/tablet or reachable by radio) to the objective or to RTB (and Comms sees responses from GTs and doesn't bother radioing them).   You can extrapolate from there.

However, I would love to see more adoption of the Mark IV Sniffer for UDF.  A full setup, including the unit & handheld/mobile antennas is around $350, or half the cost of a cheese-block L-Per, and much more effective.

kratclif

APRS, Google Latitude, SPOT, or DeLorme inReach - why limit yourself to just one technology? Use them all! Ok, not really, but check out this web site:

https://spotwalla.com

They call it a Secure Personal Location Manager, but it does more than that.

It gets data from the following services securely over the internet:

* APRS
* SPOT
* Latitude
* inReach

Then it can display them all on a password-protected map.

So if your Ground Teams all had smartphones (not each team member, but at least one person on each team) and they had cell coverage it would work. You could put a SPOT device in each aircraft. They would all show up on the same Google Map back at mission base, updating every 10 minutes or so.

I don't know that the SpotWalla site would ever work for CAP's needs, but it's an interesting concept.

Perhaps a CAP equivalent of this will show up in that new mission management thing that NHQ is supposed to be working on; I won't hold my breath.

Question: I know DeLorme's inReach is for personal use only. They don't allow for fleet/asset/personnel tracking without an enterprise account. I think SPOT is the same way (it was when I looked into it a couple years ago). What type of SPOT or inReach plan is everyone using? Personal or enterprise? I'd be interested in knowing the costs for an enterprise plan.

Regarding APRS: I use it every day in my car. But the only reason it works well for tracking is due to the ham radio infrastructure (digis and igates), and obviously CAP cannot use the ham radio network. Sure, APRS will work on an ad-hoc channel with no pre-existing infrastructure at all, but you are limited by line of sight. Even if NHQ did allow it (I think the latest 100-1 does allow for data with prior permission from NHQ, though I'd have to check to be sure) I just don't see it working well for us.

Regarding Google Latitude: for those of you using Google Latitude, check out Google Maps Coordinate: http://www.google.com/enterprise/mapsearth/products/coordinate.html. It's like Latitude, but for enterprises. You can assign "dispatchers" who can then assign "jobs" to "mobile workers". So imagine the Ground Branch Director re-tasking a Ground Team in the field by sending them a new target location and instructions. The phone would update with new driving directions automatically. Smartphone and cellular data required, of course.

Coordinate is quite expensive, but I think non-profits can get it at no cost. Something to think about for the wings using Google Apps for Non-profits already.  It does have some client software requirements (Android or iOS required, wheres Latitude has some other versions for not-so-smart phones).

None of the above would be a replacement for traditional voice communication, but it could potentially augment it -- if we don't make it so complex that nobody can figure out how to use it.

Kevin
Maj Kevin Ratcliff, CAP