CAP Instructor/Check Pilots

Started by a4jock, March 21, 2013, 02:33:04 AM

NineThreeKilo

Recently joined CAP myself, as a professional pilot, flight instructor (gold seal), ground instructor, small flight school owner and someone who logs, on average, 100hrs a month flying turboprops at work I think I can comment on this. 

As for fees for a CAP CFI, well it is what it is and that's a VOLUNTEER group!

I'll help folks out at CAP, intro flight, heck even currency  work (within reason), my payment is knowing that for the time I spend during CAP duties I am leaving the world a little better then I found it. 

Quote from: a2capt on March 22, 2013, 02:50:57 AMPilot ratings, especially with regards to fixed wing are pretty cheap on the investment scale compared to other educational investments that help this organization.

A2capt, you must not be a pilot or have much of a grasp of aviation, at least in last few decades....

"pretty cheap" LMAO, for what I had to invest JUST to get my CPL.... I did a little research a while back, I could have become almost anything I wanted for the cost of flight training to the CPL level, a lawyer at a state school, engineer, CPA, Nurse, etc.  The only profession that interested me that would have cost considerably more, no matter where I did it, would have been a MD.  

You need 250hrs to get a commercial, you tally up the costs on aircraft rental, AVGAS, CFI, DPE fees, written fees, medical, books, headset, etc, etc. It ain't cheap compared to MANY professions.

Capt, I agree with what you're saying about volunteering at  CAP, just don't discredit it by saying something silly like aviation is cheap,  that just makes you sound misinformed to any pilots out there :)

SarDragon

a2capt is a pilot. He's actually a pretty smart guy. We're friends.

When I first read his post, I almost agreed with your PoV. Then I did some research, and comparison.

The total California resident tuition/fees for the UC system, per year, are $13,234. No books, no room and board, nothing else. That totals $52, 936.

Now let's say that you spent $160/hr to get your 250 hours. I think it's a reasonable average, and adds in the extras you spoke of. Dual might be more, solo is certainly cheaper. That totals $40,000.

Now what's cheaper.

OBTW, I'm a student pilot, so this is familiar ground for me, too.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Also, let's be realistic here. I went to a middle of the road college. Around $110,000 JUST for tuition.

Eclipse

Just to be clear here, no one in CAP is maintaining their CFI because of CAP.  If you are, and it's a burden, knock it off.

You're a pilot, lawyer, IT guy, Dr. whatever, and you bring those talents in volunteer service, but CAP doesn't want or need
people who are undertaking personal burdens for the "good of the corps".

It might also shock yo to learn that the rate your unit's IT guy charge per hour is about 4x's what the average CFI makes
same with the FM if he's a CPA, and we all know what Docs and Lawyers make, etc., etc. That's not intended to be a boast or put-down, just a reality check.

As to aviation being cheap - where else are you going to find brand new airplanes for our rental rate?  Those hours
you're logging for CAP are helping you and saving you money.   We did a break down of what it would cost the
average 40-hour a year pilot to fly for CAP vs. privately to maintain their currency and proficiency, etc.  We came up with saving several thousand dollars a year, and that's just assuming B-rides on your own nickel, without including funded missions.

"That Others May Zoom"

NineThreeKilo

Quote from: SarDragon on May 11, 2013, 12:13:39 AM
a2capt is a pilot. He's actually a pretty smart guy. We're friends.

When I first read his post, I almost agreed with your PoV. Then I did some research, and comparison.

The total California resident tuition/fees for the UC system, per year, are $13,234. No books, no room and board, nothing else. That totals $52, 936.

Now let's say that you spent $160/hr to get your 250 hours. I think it's a reasonable average, and adds in the extras you spoke of. Dual might be more, solo is certainly cheaper. That totals $40,000.

Now what's cheaper.

OBTW, I'm a student pilot, so this is familiar ground for me, too.

Quoted from ATP (puppy mill, but many go this route) $64,995, ERU can get close to 100k.   FBO will be less then ATP, depending on how smart you are about it and what you fly.

Average 4 year degree is 9-29k (https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/pay-for-college/college-costs/college-costs-faqs), plus you have scholarships, grants, etc.   Never seen that for AVGAS

Майор Хаткевич

Eclipse

These days $9k is books and fees.

"That Others May Zoom"

scooter

Not being a CFI, but former AF IP/FE, I really appreciate the CFIs that donate their time to do F5s/91s etc. Buy'em lunch/coffee/beer whenever I get the chance. Thanks guys! :clap:

Flying Pig

Quote from: usafaux2004 on May 11, 2013, 12:36:37 AM
Also, let's be realistic here. I went to a middle of the road college. Around $110,000 JUST for tuition.

Holy cow.... Why?

Eclipse

That's what it costs these days - up around here, there's a preschool that costs $10k a year.

Private grammar school goes $4k without even trying, and the high school I went to is now over $8k a year.

$25k a year for college?  No problem, that's a bargain.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

usafaux.... can I ask what degree you got?

Woodsy

Quote from: Eclipse on May 11, 2013, 01:33:03 PM
These days $9k is books and fees.

Heck, that's my annual parking pass! 

PHall

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 11, 2013, 03:17:15 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on May 11, 2013, 12:36:37 AM

Holy cow.... Why?

Rob, you haven't checked out what it costs to send a kid to Stanford or USC, have you? :o

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on May 11, 2013, 07:28:18 PM
Rob, you haven't checked out what it costs to send a kid to Stanford or USC, have you? :o

Holy crap. 

"That Others May Zoom"

A.Member

Quote from: a4jock on March 21, 2013, 02:33:04 AM
Any CFI/CFII's out there who think the prohibition of not being compensated for flight instruction should be changed since we now have the training intensive G1000 and NHQ mandates?
No.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

a2capt

Quote from: NineThreeKilo on May 11, 2013, 06:11:43 AMAverage 4 year degree is 9-29k (https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/pay-for-college/college-costs/college-costs-faqs), plus you have scholarships, grants, etc.   Never seen that for AVGAS
Notice that it says -Per Year- .. a degree that gets you far as a lawyer or doctor in this program is 4-6, even 8 of those years, and not at the community college in-state level.

I actually didn't do any specific research, other than I know that ATP, American Flyers, et al, offer those ~$60K programs, and that I can expect to pay $30/60K per year for the typical public four year university, in/out of state.

Yup, that $60K is a bargain, if that gets you the job, and you're happy with the dog-eat-dog ladder game. Otherwise, you still need a couple years at the university in some cases, too. Add on another $40/$60K.

Oh, yes- and I am a pilot.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 11, 2013, 04:32:29 PM

usafaux.... can I ask what degree you got?

Finance degree from DePaul's College of Commerce ​Driehaus College of Business.

http://www.depaul.edu/admission-and-aid/tuition/Pages/default.aspx

Current cost per year for 3rd/4th year students: ​$33,710

Critical AOA

Quote from: Eclipse on March 21, 2013, 01:54:35 PM
No wonder A&P's spend so much time troubleshooting "high pitched whining noises in the left front of the aircraft..."

You have no idea!! 

As an A&P/IA who has spent his entire working life trying to eliminate that noise, I can tell you that it is incessant. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

bosshawk

And virtually impossible to correct or cancel: I know, I was one.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777