Female members' optional wear of hosiery?

Started by Dad2-4, August 04, 2023, 12:52:06 AM

Dad2-4

Am I missing an ICL to 39-1? Is there a new change that allows female members to not wear hosiery with a skirt? I am seeing it more often in photos.
Call me old school on what looks correct. But have the regs actually changed?

NIN

Technically it is required in both USAF-style and Corporate.

Quote4.1.12.8. Footwear. Hosiery (or Black socks) and Low Quarters, Dress Boots, Pumps or Slipon Shoes are required with this uniform. For description, see paragraph 6.4
[from the Class B blues description]

and

Quote6.4.2.1. Hosiery. Hosiery will be worn with the Mess Dress, Semiformal, and Service Dress Uniform (skirt). Hosiery will be plain commercial, sheer, nylon in neutral, dark brown, black or off  black, or dark blue shades. Patterned hosiery is not authorized to be worn with any uniform. Hosiery must be worn with the skirt and are optional with slacks; however, if not wearing hosiery with slacks, plain (not patterned) black socks must be worn.

and

Quote6.4.5.1.    Hosiery. Hosiery will be worn with the Corporate Service Uniform. Hosiery will be plain commercial, sheer, nylon in neutral, dark brown, black or off-black, or dark blue shades. Patterned hosiery is not authorized to be worn with any uniform. Hosiery must be worn with the skirt and are optional with slacks.

Honestly: I guess I never super paid attention to this.  For some reason, I thought hoisery was made optional at some point, but it was not.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

The currant AF Uniform Manual says they're not required (DAFI 36-2903, 7 Feb 2020) Para 7.4.2.1 Hosiery may be worn with the formal dress, mess dress, semi-formal dress and service dress uniform (skirt).
But the CAP uniform manual says they're required. Just another case where the AF and CAP uniform manuals differ.

Shuman 14

This is why there needs to be a "general" clause in 39-1 which states in effect that if the USAF changes DAFI 36-2903, CAP will comply with the changes immediately and will reflect those changes CAPR 39-1 in its next update.

In the cases where DAFI 36-2903 abolishes and/or replaces an actual uniform article (such as ABUs being replaced by OCPs), CAP members will have a wear-out date five (5) years beyond the USAF wear-out date to stop wearing the old/abolished article/item and purchase the new/replaced article/item.

Once you get the USAF sign-off on the clause, you theoretically won't need another USAF sign-off for any USAF-style uniform that CAP will ever use, simply put, five years after any change, CAP must adopt the same change.

And questions like "When are we going to get OCPs" will already be answered and approved.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

HandsomeWalt_USMC

I had that same thought! It would need a bit more fleshing out but my idea was 6mo from USAF adoption for CAP to submit CAP modifications to CAP-USAF for approval then another 6mo from approval to publishing of the ICL adopting the new USAF style uniform for CAP use.
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

Shuman 14

Quote from: HandsomeWalt_USMC on August 04, 2023, 08:31:12 PMI had that same thought! It would need a bit more fleshing out but my idea was 6mo from USAF adoption for CAP to submit CAP modifications to CAP-USAF for approval then another 6mo from approval to publishing of the ICL adopting the new USAF style uniform for CAP use.

I like it!
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

etodd

There are always those at events that will point out if something about someone's uniform isn't just right. But has any of those uniform police types ever had the nerve to walk up to a woman and say "Please cover up those non-regulation legs!"
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

ColonelJack

Quote from: etodd on August 04, 2023, 11:46:51 PMBut has any of those uniform police types ever had the nerve to walk up to a woman and say "Please cover up those non-regulation legs!"

Not if said person wanted to go home that evening with his/her face in the same condition it was in when they arrived, they haven't.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

NIN

Quote from: etodd on August 04, 2023, 11:46:51 PMThere are always those at events that will point out if something about someone's uniform isn't just right. But has any of those uniform police types ever had the nerve to walk up to a woman and say "Please cover up those non-regulation legs!"

Let me understand what you're saying.

"There's some rules, but you know, I'm not going to ask you to follow them because they make ME uncomfortable?"

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Dad2-4

As a DCC I have corrected a female cadet for showing up to uniform inspection with no hose. Very disruptive to the formation because the other cadets had never seen this tall, pleasant looking cadet in a skirt before.
If I ever said something to a female SM and got struck, IG and local law enforcement would be involved in the assault case.

etodd

Quote from: Dad2-4 on August 06, 2023, 05:27:35 PMAs a DCC I have corrected a female cadet for showing up to uniform inspection with no hose. Very disruptive to the formation because the other cadets had never seen this tall, pleasant looking cadet in a skirt before.
If I ever said something to a female SM and got struck, IG and local law enforcement would be involved in the assault case.

Wow! If this was any other chat or forum other than CAP ... you'd be getting burned right now from all the women chiming in that the "pleasant looking cadet in a skirt" was NOT the cause of disruption , but the Cadets (I assume male Cadets) that were causing the disruption checking her out.

Sounds like the male Cadets need to learn some manners, and keep their eyes up higher. Don't blame the female Cadet.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

ColonelJack

Quote from: Dad2-4 on August 06, 2023, 05:27:35 PMAs a DCC I have corrected a female cadet for showing up to uniform inspection with no hose. Very disruptive to the formation because the other cadets had never seen this tall, pleasant looking cadet in a skirt before.

It was a joke.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: ColonelJack on August 07, 2023, 10:01:20 AM

It was a joke.

Jack

Honestly, joke or not, I would really recommend that we don't even approach making jokes like that on this forum or any other public media channel in which senior members remark about the pleasant appearance of any cadet.