From Fat & Fuzzy to Lean & Fuzzy

Started by CadetProgramGuy, May 24, 2009, 08:18:38 PM

CadetProgramGuy

There have been a few posts on S'Members trying to get back in shape.

This coming weekend will be my first 5K.  It has taken me from February until now to prepare.

Since then i dropped from 250 to 225.....

www.damtodam.com/5k.htm

I will post pics after I get done.

If this works out well, I will do another for the Fireman's association in August, then possibly start training for a Sprint Tri next year.

Stonewall

For all those who hate running (like me), but feel the need to do so for one reason or another, I did something I rarely do, I listened to my sister.

My sister is a long time marathon runner (Chicago, Boston, NYC, Marine Corps, etc).  But guess what?  She walks some of the way.  When she did, she increased her time by something like 45 minutes.  She did this after joining the Galloway Running Program.

Except for my AF PT test (1 1/2 mile), I run this way any time I run 3 or more miles.  In a nutshell, it has you slogging/jogging/running for a certain amount of time and then walking for a short period.

First time I did this I ran the annual Beaches 5 mile run.  I did so in <47 minutes, which may not seem so fast.  But keep in mind this was after my move to FL from DC where I hadn't been keeping up with my running and it was on the beach (in the sand).   For every 5 minutes I ran I walked 1 minute.

My sister runs 6 and walks 40 seconds on her marathons, but you can vary your running to fit your needs.  I even ran 10 miles at a 3:1 ratio.

Just saying, it helps and is easier on your body.
Serving since 1987.