What songs are good for CAP.

Started by Hoorah, May 24, 2009, 07:49:02 PM

Hoorah

Hello, I need songs that are good for CAP like making videos with good songs that fit the theme cause I am working on a project for our squadron.
So please list what songs would be good for CAP.
The following songs I have picked out are Citizen Soldier 3 doors Down, Welcome 2 the jungle, I Stand alone God Smack.
Thanks.

Eclipse

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on May 24, 2009, 07:49:02 PM
The following songs I have picked out are Citizen Soldier 3 doors Down, Welcome 2 the jungle, I Stand alone God Smack.

Great tunes, none of them have the least of anything to do with CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hoorah

Songs that would be good for CAP slide shows etc.

CadetProgramGuy

Hoorah

DC

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on May 24, 2009, 08:26:35 PM
Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on May 24, 2009, 08:20:44 PM
youtube for ideas.
I dont think so.
Do you have some aversion to Youtube or something? There are hundreds of CAP related videos on there, plus just about every music video ever created...

Hoorah

Um yes for powerpoints,ground team,emergency service, etc.

DC

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on May 24, 2009, 08:52:00 PM
How was that relevant to what I asked? I understand what you want, but not why you are unwilling to heed the suggestions given to you thus far.

Hoorah

Quote from: DC on May 24, 2009, 10:09:32 PM
How was that relevant to what I asked? I understand what you want, but not why you are unwilling to heed the suggestions given to you thus far.
Should I Invest in making a youtube account.

DC

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on May 24, 2009, 10:12:00 PM
Youtube is free, and I don't think you need an account to view the videos...

Hoorah

Quote from: DC on May 24, 2009, 10:13:26 PM
Quote from: capcadetwilliams on May 24, 2009, 10:12:00 PM
Youtube is free, and I don't think you need an account to view the videos...
To post com ments it is.

Nolan Teel

You Tube doesn't really need anymore videos on CAP.... I wish members would use better judgement on what they post there.  But as to songs for CAP.... all good choices above...

wuzafuzz

A lot of video editing programs include royalty free music so you don't violate copyright laws.  Granted, a lot of it sucks, but at least your video won't become fodder for another squadrons Moral Leadership class on ethics.   :angel:
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Hoorah

Quote from: wuzafuzz on May 24, 2009, 10:27:32 PM
A lot of video editing programs include royalty free music so you don't violate copyright laws.  Granted, a lot of it sucks, but at least your video won't become fodder for another squadrons Moral Leadership class on ethics.   :angel:
Lets not cause riots with other people.

Eclipse

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on May 24, 2009, 10:15:40 PM
To post comments it is.

And why is posting comments there of any value to anyone?

Watch the videos, move on.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on May 24, 2009, 10:30:07 PM

I have recently tried to get the rights for non-commercial use of a song by a major country star - in my mind the lyrics and tempo of the song were perfect for what we do and how we do it.   I first heard it during our operations in KY, and then intention was to use it for recruiting and spirit.

I had my legal officer start the process - its not as complicated as you might think, and he had done it once before for me, successfully.

In this case, the song was owned jointly by the artist and two seperate record companies.

The artist agreed immediately, and referred us to contacts at the record company(s).  My LG played phone / email tag with their counsel for several weeks, then a different name finally got back to him.

This part will surprise you...   ::)

The first record company could not "possibly" allow us to use the music in the way we intended, as they had to "protect their rights", so the least they could allow the rights to the song for would be $200.  Also, because of a "Most Favored Nation" clause in the rights, if company #2 wanted / received more, company #1 would automatically get the same amount.

Ridiculous, when you consider that they were made fully aware of the nature of the organization and the reasons for our wanting to use it. Further silly when you consider that the tools exist for me to very simply make like Nike and "just do it" as hundreds of thousands of people do on the internet each day.

The fact remains, however, that its their intellectual property, and they have every right to shoot themselves in the foot if that's their inclination.

To "just do it" would not only be a violation of Federal law, but more importantly, especially in this case, a serious violation of the Core Values that the video was meant to support.

By doing things through channels, and obeying the law, I may not always get what I want, but I can reserve the right to be indignant about it.    >:(

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

How about "The CAP is on the go?" >:)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

whatevah

Are you talking about a video or a slideshow?  Huge difference.  For a video, I'd recommend something instrumental.  Don't have to worry about worrying about the lyrics drowning out the people talking.  If you're just doing a slideshow... then normal songs are ok, just be careful you tailor it to your audience.  While many cadets may like hard rock blasting out of 50 speakers in an auditorium, most seniors will prefer something a little tamer.

And, it doesn't make a lot of sense to be blasting hard rock while showing pictures of people in classroom and non-action scenes.   Here is something I put together during an encampment to play at the pre-graduation banquet: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4502178348538878330    It's pretty much a slideshow but has a view video clips, it's a progression through the encampment from Day 1 to the day of the banquet.  The music starts off slow, gets a little aggressive when they start the fun stuff and slows back down a little for the ending (and received a standing ovation from 300 people, go me!). I was a bit iffy about using the track from Blur (woohoo) in the clip but I had a few seniors review it. I still hid by the back door when it played, since we had a few CAP Colonels and I believe one CAP Brig Gen as well. While I'd love to use Disturbed, Pantera and Motley Crue for an encampment video, it usually doesn't work.  ;)
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

DC

Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 25, 2009, 12:37:26 AM
Oh yeah!  8)

For those of you who have no idea what we're talking about, look here.

flyguy06

It depends on your taste in music and your target audience. In my squadron. none of my cadets have probably ever heard the song "welcome to the jungle". ;D

SJFedor

Quote from: flyguy06 on May 25, 2009, 05:34:00 AM
It depends on your taste in music and your target audience. In my squadron. none of my cadets have probably ever heard the song "welcome to the jungle". ;D

Betcha they have. I think that song is on one of the guitar hero games.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Hoorah

Quote from: whatevah on May 25, 2009, 12:55:42 AM
Are you talking about a video or a slideshow?  Huge difference.  For a video, I'd recommend something instrumental.  Don't have to worry about worrying about the lyrics drowning out the people talking.  If you're just doing a slideshow... then normal songs are ok, just be careful you tailor it to your audience.  While many cadets may like hard rock blasting out of 50 speakers in an auditorium, most seniors will prefer something a little tamer.

And, it doesn't make a lot of sense to be blasting hard rock while showing pictures of people in classroom and non-action scenes.   Here is something I put together during an encampment to play at the pre-graduation banquet: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4502178348538878330    It's pretty much a slideshow but has a view video clips, it's a progression through the encampment from Day 1 to the day of the banquet.  The music starts off slow, gets a little aggressive when they start the fun stuff and slows back down a little for the ending (and received a standing ovation from 300 people, go me!). I was a bit iffy about using the track from Blur (woohoo) in the clip but I had a few seniors review it. I still hid by the back door when it played, since we had a few CAP Colonels and I believe one CAP Brig Gen as well. While I'd love to use Disturbed, Pantera and Motley Crue for an encampment video, it usually doesn't work.  ;)
I want the name of the song and band great song.

wuzafuzz

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on May 24, 2009, 10:30:07 PM
How would respecting intellectual property cause riots?  As Eclipse pointed out, failing to do so violates Federal law and CAP's core values.  We simply can't go there and hold our heads high. 

It's a shame so many people are seemingly unaware of the applicable laws, or are simply unwilling to follow them.  It's just not OK to do because "everyone else does it."

If the music included with video software doesn't do it for you, there are alternatives.  Are there any local bands you can request music from?  Perhaps you could strike a deal for some free music in return for on-screen credit in your video. 

A few sites offering royalty free music are listed below. Some of the music is free, some has a small fee ($10 range).  I found these with a quick Google search.  Given some time you just might find something that works for your video.
http://www.seabreezecomputers.com/tips/freemusic.htm
http://royaltyfreemusicmp3.com/free-music.htm
http://slicktracks.com/royalty-free-music-homepage.asp

Good luck with your project.  I hope it goes well and is something that represents CAP in a way we can all respect.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Gunner C

Hoorah

Rockstar Mentallity shop boyz.

alamrcn

Surfing With the Alien - Joe Satriani

It's an intramental, and does have a "feel of flight" sound IMO.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

CadetProgramGuy

Johnny Yuma

"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

majdomke

Here's a better link for those interested in CAP songs...http://sercap.us/Songs.aspx

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Rotorhead

YouTube is a good place to upload video that you want hosted, for free, so you can embed it on your webpage or whatever.

Bear in mind, however, that if you use copyrighted music without permission, and YouTube hears from the owner, they will blank your entire audio track. This happens a lot; the music companies check for just such violations.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Rotorhead

Quote from: whatevah on May 25, 2009, 12:55:42 AM
And, it doesn't make a lot of sense to be blasting hard rock while showing pictures of people in classroom and non-action scenes.   Here is something I put together during an encampment to play at the pre-graduation banquet: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4502178348538878330   

Of course, by using that music ("Top Gun" Main Title and the other copyrighted stuff) without permission and posting it on Google video, you're violating copyright law.

Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Smithsonia

"The CAP is Always on the Go" - is the official Civil Air Patrol Anthem. Almost completely unsingable and anachronistic -- it is a hoot for encampments. You can find it online.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

alamrcn

Quote"The CAP is Always on the Go"

I know that I especially love the, "Not on the ground..." part over and over in the song  >:(

Anyone have an in with the Singing Sergeants for an update?

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: alamrcn on July 01, 2009, 08:38:09 PM
Quote"The CAP is Always on the Go"

I know that I especially love the, "Not on the ground..." part over and over in the song  >:(

Anyone have an in with the Singing Sergeants for an update?

Not anymore.  Every one involved in that song was retired.  They are presently living in exile on remote islands waiting for the Chinese Musulim terrorists to be released from Guantanamo so they will have someone to talk to.
Another former CAP officer

Nomex Maximus

Quote from: DC on May 25, 2009, 03:39:11 AM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 25, 2009, 12:37:26 AM
Oh yeah!  8)

For those of you who have no idea what we're talking about, look here.

Aircrews should SING this LOUDLY while taking off on any mission (I always do):

"We are the C.A.P. we're on the go.
We're always, always, always on the go.
We are ready in peace, ready in war,
Ready for what we're needed for,
THE C.A.P. IS ON THE GO."

I put it on the takeoff checklist:

TRANSPONDER: SET TO ALT
LIGHTS: AS NEEDED
THROTTLE: ADVANCE SMOOTHLY TO FULL
OIL PRESSURE: CHECK
TACHOMETER: CHECK