Main Menu

AFOQT

Started by Fifinella, May 22, 2009, 01:53:53 PM

Fifinella

I have a friend who wants to join Big Blue, and he will be taking the AFOQT soon.  Anyone have gouge on how to prepare for it?

Thanks~ Judy
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

jimmydeanno

Hi Judy,

My wife took the AFOQT sometime last year.  She said that the test is pretty similar to the ASVAB with some aviation related items included (aeronautical sectional, pointing out gauges on the page, etc).

She said that she didn't use anything to prepare and did well enough to qualify for pilot/nav.

However, she said that most ROTC detachments have study guides and recommended that people check this page for hints, processes, etc: http://www.baseops.net/afoqt/

There are also some commercially available study guides similar to the ASVAB ones.

Hope that helps.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Spike

Fifinella

Thanks, y'all.  Appreciate it.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Spike

I took it a while back when I was still deciding which service to join.  I passed, and was a "C" average high school student, never considered bright.  On the flip side I know people who graduated top of their high school class and had to retake the AFOQT because they failed. 

Take the practice tests online, don't waste your money getting the test prep books.  Call a local AFROTC detachment and ask for insights into the test, and if they offer a practice session.  Most will allow anyone to "audit" the test lectures.

Finally, when taking the actual test, remember the type of questions asked, just in case you must retake it.  IMPORTANT.......you can not keep taking until you pass.  You get a set number of attempts.

Tell your friend good luck!

Always Ready

I took it with my AFROTC class. None of us prepared for it. The Detachment Commander said make sure that you are available the morning of X. We went in thinking it was going to be an inspection or some sort of surprise class. It was a surprise test! :o It also was timed to be right after mid-terms week! *facepalm*

We all did fine and got the scores we wanted. I think the more you worry about it, the worse you will do. The same thing goes with the DLAB. I actually knew that I was taking the DLAB before I took it. I didn't study or take any prep courses for it and I ended up getting one of the top scores in my class.

My philosophy is that you either know the material or you don't. If you can't adapt to the different ways questions are asked and formated, then you probably won't be able to adapt to a changing battlefield environment. Plus, if your friend does do poorly, they can take it again.

The best preparation for it is the same as preparing for any other test in life: A good night's sleep, a good solid breakfast, and a clear mind. Tell your friend good luck for me!