AF Tough Enough On CAP During SAR/DR Evaluations?

Started by RADIOMAN015, March 08, 2009, 05:31:56 PM

jimmydeanno

Our wing got dinged during our last SAR-EVAL.  The evaluators gave our Wing CC a heart attack (not a real one, but one as part of the eval).  However, from what I understand it was because he wasn't the IC and he was meddling...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

lordmonar

Okay...here's my $.02......

The USAF can't get any more tougher on the SAR/DR Evaluations because no one.....no one has ever published the standards!

I don't mean training standards but OPERATIONAL STANDARDS.

In the USAF during a ORI there are standards "pack and load equipment for 12 aircraft deployment for airshipment with 72 hours of notification"...."launch 10 sorties withing 12 hours of arrival at Base X"....."Establish communications link within 6 hours arrival at site".

CAP does not have these.

So we can only be evaluated in how well we follow estabished procedures....even if we never launch a single aircraft or sortie a ground team.

Being tougher by throwing wrenches into the exercise is cool...but 90% the fix for any wrench will be call for help from wing/region/national.

Your Wing CC dies......call region.  Your only IC dies...call region.  Your only ground team dies....call region.

As for everthing else....it is just follow the procedures....which is why they like to see check lists.  That way you get all the important steps out in the open early and it is easy to make sure you got all the I's dotted and T's crossed.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP