Main Menu

AFAMs for airshows?

Started by RiverAux, November 29, 2008, 02:07:46 PM

RiverAux

The latest 900-5 which was just posted on e-services has this paragraph:

Quote7.c.
Air Force-assigned mission status. In accordance with AFI 10-2701, paragraphs 3.4 through 3.4.3, military commanders who desire CAP air show support must make the request in writing to HQ CAP-USAF/XO. HQ CAP-USAF/XO will evaluate requests and provide the Air Force mission number constituting written authority for the mission. No Air Force mission status is afforded for any air show without explicit CAP-USAF/XO approval.

I find this very interesting that we can now apparently get AFAM status for airshows.  This is great since it will take the onus of paying for fuel, etc. to participate in these events off the local units.

The odd thing is that this is in the insurance regulation.  Are we going to start having policies governing AFAMs scattered all through the regulations instead of being concentrated primarily in 60-3?  Granted, this isn't an ES mission, but it makes more sense to put the guidelines in the ES reg than the insurance regulation.  Maybe even the public affairs regulation would be a better place.

jeders

I think it's more about getting the insurance coverage than anything else.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

JohnKachenmeister

I'd see it as a brake to prevent CAP from participating (As an AF element) at an "Air Show" that might have political overtones or give the appearance of commercial endorsement.
Another former CAP officer

RADIOMAN015

I would hope that CAP Hq would scrutinize what "the mission" will entail at these airshow/open house.  Perhaps a standard type agreement of what CAP can do should be developed.  IMHO it shouldn't be picking up the trash, selling airshow programs (without compensation), etc.   I think that functions such as "safety & security assistance", e.g. roving patrols, aircraft static display "watching", lost & found tent, FOD walk; public affairs assistance, etc.    Also from a flying standpoint, perhaps vehicle traffic reporting.   (Now if the squadrons decide they want to staff one or more of the food selling booths, that would NOT be an AF mission).  I also don't believe taxpayers should shoulder the burden for costs associated with CAP's public relations efforts such as aircraft static displays OR other displays at airshows.    
RADIOMAN    

RiverAux

QuoteI also don't believe taxpayers should shoulder the burden for costs associated with CAP's public relations efforts such as aircraft static displays OR other displays at airshows.     
You do realize that the public shoulders the "burden" of almost everything CAP does in one way or another?  If anything, participating in airshows is one of the major ways CAP performs its aerospace education mission. 

By the way, I realized afterwards that just because an airshow gets AFAM status, doesn't necessarily mean it would be a reimbursed AFAM -- so the costs could still be borne by the local units. 

Eclipse

Can, yes.

Will, almost never.

In an organization that is reluctant to accept responsibility for legitimate DR activities, you won't see many AFAMs for airshows.

99.99% will go as corporate missions (when  mission number is assigned at all, just like most of our other non-ELT activities.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

The important point seems to be that the military has to request CAP's participation in the airshow in question.  That being the case, I think it would be very realistic for AFAMs to be assigned regularly.  Now, if the airshow is just a local show sponsored by the city airport commission, it wouldn't qualify. 

winterg

This is not new.  My squadron worked the local airshow here several times.  We recieved our mission numbers under precautionary SAR.

Eclipse

Quote from: winterg on November 29, 2008, 05:46:00 PM
This is not new.  My squadron worked the local airshow here several times.  We received our mission numbers under precautionary SAR.

AFAMs or corporate?

"That Others May Zoom"

winterg

Now you got me wondering! lol  It's been about 4 or 5 years since I had anything to do with SWAF.  I'll have to go check.  I can't remember now if they were AFAM or Corp.

On the same note, though, CAP works the airshow at Oshkosh on an AFAM for precautionary SAR.  That may be an exception , though.

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: winterg on November 29, 2008, 09:50:41 PM
On the same note, though, CAP works the airshow at Oshkosh on an AFAM for precautionary SAR.  That may be an exception , though.

Considering the unholy amount of finds we pick up, I would sure hate to be the guy who had to process all the paperwork if we didn't set up a precautionary.

RiverAux

I think Oshkosh is an exceptional situation.  If the Smithville airport has an "airshow" of 25 aircraft, we're not going to get a precautionary mission number for that.  I also don't see us getting them for ES purposes for military airshows, but more to recognize that it is a mission in direct support of the military, which justifies an AFAM in its own right. 

PHall

You know, the way I read that paragraph, it only applies to airshows on military installations.
It doesn't apply to your local airport's annual airshow.

IceNine

^ Even less than that.  It appears that this only applies when the military is asking for our support.

If we are requested to help another organization (even on an AF base) then we don't have any issues.

I don't see this ever being an issue
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

RiverAux

Quote from: PHall on December 01, 2008, 05:21:13 AM
You know, the way I read that paragraph, it only applies to airshows on military installations.
It doesn't apply to your local airport's annual airshow.
Correct.