What person in American history presented a CAP award to you?

Started by ascorbate, November 16, 2008, 04:27:54 PM

ascorbate

Someone noted jokingly in this forum that Wilbur Wright signed his pilot's certificate which jogged my memory. In June of 1981, I received a written letter from former U.S. President Richard M. Nixon in lieu of him presenting my Carl A. Spaatz award in person. A few months later, I had the honor of meeting Paul E. Garber (curator emeritus of the National Air & Space Museum and early champion of Civil Air Patrol) in College Park, MD at a local squadron meeting. I had a picture taken with him and he signed my CAP cadet membership card which I still have!

Was wondering if others in this forum might share memories of significant CAP awards presented to them by people of distinction in American history?
Dr. Mark A. Kukucka, Lt Col, CAP
Missions Directorate (A7), MD-001
Carl A. Spaatz Award #569
Gill Robb Wilson Award #3004

Flying Pig

COLONEL LEWIS L. MILLETT

Colonel Lewis Millett, Medal of Honor recipient, is inducted into the Ranger Hall of Fame for extraordinary feats of courage and outstanding contributions to the Ranger concept during 34 years of military service. Colonel Millett began his military service with the Massachusetts National Guard in 1939. Anxious to participate in WW II, he joined the Canadian Armed Services in 1941 and attained the rank of Gunner. Following the entry of the U.S. into WWII, he was discharged from the Canadian Armed Forces and joined the U.S. Army in time to participate in the North African and Italian campaigns as an artilleryman with the 1st Armored Division. While serving in these campaigns, he received the Silver Star for driving a burning ammunition half-track out of his battery's firing position, and was promoted to Corporal for heroically downing a German ME-109 that was strafing his artillery position. He received a battlefield commission in November 1944. In 1945, Colonel Millett was discharged from active duty and reentered the National Guard. In 1949, Colonel Millett returned to active duty and in 1950 deployed to Korea as a forward observer with the 8th Field Artillery Battalion. In recognition of his proven combat leadership potential, he was awarded command of Company E, 27th Infantry on January 1, 1951. While serving as a company commander during the January - March 1951 Korean Counteroffensive, he won the Distinguished Service Cross and was later awarded the Medal of Honor for leading what has been called "...the heaviest bayonet charge since Cold Harbor in the Civil War." Colonel Millett received his Ranger Tab in 1958. During his subsequent assignment to the 101st Airborne Division, he used his combined Canadian Army, combat, and Ranger training experiences to establish the Recondo School - a combat realistic small unit training program later used as a prototype for forming Recondo units in U.S. Army and Marine Corps Infantry divisions. In August 1960, he was sent to MAAG Vietnam to establish the Republic of Vietnam Ranger program and serve as the first Republic of Vietnam Ranger Command advisor. During subsequent assignments in Vietnam and Laos, he applied Ranger/Recondo concepts in conducting training and covert operational activities of certain indigenous special operational units. Throughout his long illustrious military career and in his active retirement life, Colonel Millett has led the way in applying the Ranger Creed of leadership, loyalty, daring and dependability - a true Ranger's Ranger.

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!!!

LTC Lewis Millet presented a couple of Mitchell awards when I was a cadet. (Unfortunately not to me) I was able to meet him several times because he lived near our Sq.  VERY colorful guy to say the least.  Thats the awesome thing about CAP and programs like CAP.  When I was a young teenager, these were the people I "hung out" with.  Growing up, kids were talking about meeting baseball players, singers, actors.  I was meeting the Thunderbird pilots, Blue Angels, and Medal of Honor recipients! 

drcomm

Astronaut Vance D. Brand

Apollo-Soyuz and (later) Space Shuttle astronaut Vance D Brand presented my Billy Mitchell Award in 1981 while I was with the Ellington Composite Squadron in Houston, TX.  He presented several other awards to other members that evening.
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Starbase Composite Squadron, SWR-OK-151
Oil Well 767
Mitchell Award #2536 (May 1981)
Amateur Radio Call Sign: KA5OWI

Cecil DP

Trivia about Col Lew Millet

He's the only holder Medal of Honor to have been convicted of desertion. (For leaving his American unit to enlist in the Canadian army).
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Flying Pig

Cecil DP

My Purple Hearts were awarded by President Nixon
Wilson Award by CAP BG Bill CAss
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85