Main Menu

AFA and Civil Air Patrol

Started by DFxSteel, September 23, 2015, 12:46:51 PM

DFxSteel

Hello everybody -- Before I delve into the meat of this post, a little background on myself would be helpful. Currently I serve as the Assistant Director of the Air Force Memorial in DC. I am also a CAP Captain on the local wing staff, and a SSgt in the Reserves.

I was wondering how many individuals here are both Civil Air Patrol and Air Force Association (AFA) members? Now that CAP is part of the Total Force, it would be a great idea to begin a new membership or renew your old one.

For those who don't know what AFA is, it is the "Force behind the Force", basically the main professional organization for Air Force members. There are multiple benefits both for Adult Members and Cadets, and membership prices are pretty reasonable.

If you're unfamiliar with AFA, here is some stuff from NHQ about the relationship "http://www.capmembers.com/archive_aerospace_education/general/what-does-the-air-force-association-do-for-cap/"

Does anyone here have a good relationship between your squadron and an AFA Chapter? If so, would you mind reaching out to me via PM, trying to see how we can improve relationships between squadrons and chapters across the US.

If anyone has any questions about AFA and what exactly they do, please let me know.
//Civil Air Patrol//
Captain, NATCAPWG Cadet Programs Development Officer
//USAFR//
SSgt, 459th Security Forces, Unit Training Manager
//Civilian Side//
Assistant Director, Air Force Memorial

Holding Pattern

I was given a free one year AFA membership after coaching a cyberpatriot team last year. I didn't renew though I wanted to because I bought a house this year.  :-[

Hopefully next year cashflow evens out for us.

Almost forgot: Your daily news email has to be the most informative newsfeed of its type I have ever seen.

Mitchell 1969

I joined AFA as a cadet in about 1971-72 when they offered a special cadet rate. I became a life member in 1977.

As far as my CAP/AFA relationship - not really much of anything. i went to several meetings, introduced myself, tried to set something up. No interest. None. It was made quite clear that they considered the chapter to be a USAF Alumni association. No women, no non-USAF community members, just golf, cookouts and the Christmas party. I really think they didn't quite know what to make of a CAP guy showing up.

They did do one cadet oriented thing. They visited AFJROTC units in May to award certificates or medals. None of them showed any interest in visiting any local CAP units.

Oh, well. It's a nice magazine anyway.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

DFxSteel

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on September 23, 2015, 06:22:12 PM
I was given a free one year AFA membership after coaching a cyberpatriot team last year. I didn't renew though I wanted to because I bought a house this year.  :-[

Hopefully next year cashflow evens out for us.

Almost forgot: Your daily news email has to be the most informative newsfeed of its type I have ever seen.

Thanks! The guys at AF Magazine do a great job at putting it out. One of the reporters is actually an ANG Airmen, so he has some good perspective.

Remember, a 1 year eMembership is only $30.00!

//Civil Air Patrol//
//USAFR//
//Civilian Side//

DFxSteel

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on September 24, 2015, 07:02:04 AM
I joined AFA as a cadet in about 1971-72 when they offered a special cadet rate. I became a life member in 1977.

As far as my CAP/AFA relationship - not really much of anything. i went to several meetings, introduced myself, tried to set something up. No interest. None. It was made quite clear that they considered the chapter to be a USAF Alumni association. No women, no non-USAF community members, just golf, cookouts and the Christmas party. I really think they didn't quite know what to make of a CAP guy showing up.

They did do one cadet oriented thing. They visited AFJROTC units in May to award certificates or medals. None of them showed any interest in visiting any local CAP units.

We get that a lot... There's a big issue at the field-level in AFA in my opinion. I think one of the ways to make change is through participation from members of CAP.

AFA, like CAP, has a 3-tier mission which is to educate, advocate, and support the Air Force. It's not just supposed to be an alumni association. If CAP members begin to join chapters, and have a little motivation, they can help change AFA for the betterment of both orgs.
//Civil Air Patrol//
//USAFR//
//Civilian Side//

abdsp51

Same pitch AFSA uses and every other private professional org. 

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: DFxSteel on September 24, 2015, 04:56:00 PM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on September 24, 2015, 07:02:04 AM

We get that a lot... There's a big issue at the field-level in AFA in my opinion. I think one of the ways to make change is through participation from members of CAP.

AFA, like CAP, has a 3-tier mission which is to educate, advocate, and support the Air Force. It's not just supposed to be an alumni association. If CAP members begin to join chapters, and have a little motivation, they can help change AFA for the betterment of both orgs.

I actually tried to join that chapter. I asked about it, was told "Charlie Hobgoblin handles that...hey, Bill! You seen Charlie lately?" According to "Bill," Charlie hadn't been around for a couple of months, but he'd be sure to let him know.

Nobody ever called. I gave up.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

AirAux

Annually, they publish an Air Force inventory issue that lists all current air craft in their inventory and status.  Very interesting to say the least.  Want to know how many B52's we have?  Want to know how many are ready to go?  Great magazine and great organization.  They also publish an AFA directory that is nice.  I really appreciated the call I got from my Dad asking why there were two (2) Majors with the same name.  Although I had told him about CAP before, I am not sure he understood.  He finally said he would salute me if/when I made LtC.  Unfortunately he passed away before that.  Interesting, he started off as an observer in the Army Air Force before getting his wings.  I think maybe all of the aviation cadets did?  I miss the old man.  God, do I miss him...

SARDOC

I did the three year membership and was on the executive committee for a while for the Local Chapter.   The only really active part of the Local Chapter was the executive committee and the membership was really small.  They had Local Scholarship opprotunities for Air Force Cadets and as much as I would encourage them to include the CAP cadets, another member of the Executive Committee was an AFJROTC Instructor and he stronly lobbied for his cadets.  His cadets are the ones that always won the scholarship, Much to the Dismay of even the other two AFJROTC  units in the area.

Our unit typically got requests to support their events, like marching with them in parades, going to assist them at Airshow's and the like.  Our Cadets would typically support them at the Memorial Day ceremony like placing a wreath at the Air Force Memorium. The unit still accomodates their requests because it goes to our Community Support and puts us out there.  The relationship is pretty much one way though.  Along with the state level association they hold a Drill Meet every year for the AFJROTC Cadets but they won't let CAP Cadets participate at all. 

We've tried multiple times to work together but with changes in the AFA chapter leadership, there is really no support for us coming from the State or Local chapters, it just kind of fizziled out.

I won't be renewing my membership with the AFA, it was too expensive to not get any benefit from it.