Main Menu

What program do you use

Started by C/Awesomenesss, December 08, 2014, 03:59:07 AM

C/Awesomenesss

What program do you or your squadron use for flight rosters?

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Huey Driver

An advanced, high-pressure laminate acrylic whiteboard 2.0

It's pretty great. Doesn't require an OS, only crashes when people bump into it.

With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Eclipse

^ Difficult and expensive to make or send full-resolution copies.

Allows only for destructive editing with no revisions.

Np spelling or grammar checking.

Requires the most complex, least understood operating system known to man - the human brain.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cadetter

MS Word, MS Excel, Mac Pages, and Mac Numbers work well for formatting. Paper and a clipboard also work (works?).
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

Private Investigator

Quote from: JerseyCadet on December 08, 2014, 01:48:42 PM
An advanced, high-pressure laminate acrylic whiteboard 2.0

It's pretty great. Doesn't require an OS, only crashes when people bump into it.

+1 tahnk you. Old skool with no speell checker.  8)

Pylon

I used to use Excel spreadsheets for a squadron roster which included columns for phone numbers, addresses, duty assignment, and other details. One column was for flight assignment.  So the spreadsheet could be quickly sorted by flight to essentially produce a by-flight roster for line staff.

At some point, I believe we transitioned it to a Google Doc so it could be edited and worked on by multiple personnel, accessed but not modified (read-only) by others, and so we would have no versioning issues.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

coudano

C/Awesomenesss

Eclipse

Quote from: coudano on December 09, 2014, 03:06:22 AM
google docs

Seriously.

It's free, accessible to anyone, on any platform, including being able to view those rosters and
other docs on Android, iOS, even Windows Phone.  Docs can also be cached locally when connectivity is an
issue and the changes negotiated once connectivity is restored.

It can be edited in real-time by multiple parties, exported locally to Office formats or PDF, slice bread,
make pizza taste better, even hydrate you in the field.

As I type this I am editing instructions from Toronto, with a colleague doing the same from another hotel room,
and others add or change text from Chicago and other states.

"That Others May Zoom"

Claar

We usually use Google Docs spreadsheets for rosters and such as people mentioned earlier, but our DCC created a server & GUI for us to use in regards to O-Flight signups, meeting sign in, etc.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Claar on December 10, 2014, 12:46:56 AM
We usually use Google Docs spreadsheets for rosters and such as people mentioned earlier, but our DCC CDC created a server & GUI for us to use in regards to O-Flight signups, meeting sign in, etc.

FTFY. DC is Communications. Might as well do it right  8)

Garibaldi

Quote from: Private Investigator on December 10, 2014, 10:43:53 AM
We usually use Google Docs spreadsheets for rosters and such as people mentioned earlier, but our DCC CDC created a server & GUI for us to use in regards to O-Flight signups, meeting sign in, etc.

I thought it was DOK?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

raivo

I use mySQL and give anyone who needs access a CD with a copy of the command-line client, a login, and a manual.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

JeffDG

Quote from: Garibaldi on December 12, 2014, 01:15:13 AM
Quote from: Private Investigator on December 10, 2014, 10:43:53 AM

I thought it was DOK?

Not according to CAPR 10-1, Attachment 1: http://capmembers.com/media/cms/R010_001_A8B5F10FA5AC7.pdf

Communications is DC.  DCC would be something in the comm directorate.

JC004

"DOK" is out, but it's still all over the place because it was used for a long time.

JeffDG

Quote from: JC004 on December 12, 2014, 01:43:17 PM
"DOK" is out, but it's still all over the place because it was used for a long time.

Actually, I would expect DOK to make a comeback, eventually becoming the "official" designator.

NHQ has moved Communications squarely under Operations, and if I read the tea leaves correctly, that will be pushed down to Regions and Wings within the next year-ish. 

Typically, functional designators read like an org chart...DO is the Director of Operations, DOS works for DO as Director of ES, DOST is the ES Training Officer and works for DOS. 

So, of course you say "Why not DOC then", well, DOC is already taken (Counter Drug).

NHQ, who, I'm shocked, shocked I say, seem to be ignoring CAPR 10-1, refer to the Communications Directorate as DOK:
http://www.capmembers.com/emergency_services/communications-blog/?new_dok_organizational_chart&show=entry&blogID=1413

Storm Chaser

CAPR 10-1 provides a list of office symbols, which is by no means comprehensive. The DC office symbol is really not appropriate for a communications function under operations.

A good example from the Air Force is Stan/Eval. At the squadron level, Stan/Eval falls under the Operations Officer (DO) and its office symbol is DOV, just like in CAP. At the operations group (OG) level, however, Stan/Eval doesn't fall under an Operations Officer for which its office symbol is OGV instead.

Live2Learn

Quote from: Eclipse on December 08, 2014, 04:24:16 PM
^ Difficult and expensive to make or send full-resolution copies.

Allows only for destructive editing with no revisions.

Np spelling or grammar checking.

Requires the most complex, least understood operating system known to man - the human brain.

All good points, EXCEPT "difficult and expensive to make or send full-resolution copies."  Saved by an app called "GeniusScan+", and also by the many ubiquitous 'smart phones' that have more capabilities their humans (me included).  I can (and do) take an image of the white board in pdf or jpg format, then send it with a minimum effort to anyone who needs it.  ;)

Capt Thompson

+1 to Google Docs, I use it for almost everything.

While Genius Scan is awesome for saving white board/chalk board/handwritten notes, Evernote's document scanner makes the scanned notes searchable later on which is nice!
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)