What is the most common rank in the CAP?

Started by Major Carrales, April 04, 2007, 09:34:21 PM

Major Carrales

Quote from: davedove on April 05, 2007, 11:38:55 AM
Just from what I've seen, I would say there are a large number of 1st Lieutenants and Captains.  1st Lt mainly because of the AFIADL 13.  This seems to be a major stumbling block in many advancements.  I know a number who could be immediately promoted to Captain as soon as they passed this course.

Also a lot of Captains, mainly because of special promotions for pilots and professional appointments.

WHat was initially my stumbling block was not so much passing the course, but rather actually having a testing officer at the time would could get it for me.

One of the first things we have done when we were rebuilding our unit was to insure we had testing covered.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

dwb

I'm going to guess First Lieutenant.  I have no evidence to back it up, but then again, we're just taking a wag anyway.

I say 1st Lt because it's the highest you can get before you have to do something outside of the squadron.  The CAP lifers will probably go farther, but the folks who are in for a few years while their kids are members, or who just have no interest in serving at echelons above the squadron, are likely to stop at 1st Lt.

Also, just as a personal anecdote, I've met a whole lot more lieutenants in CAP than anything else.  The majority of the TAC officers we get at encampment every year are 2d Lt or 1st Lt, as are the majority of the support staff at the squadrons I've seen.

Major Carrales

Quote from: justin_bailey on April 05, 2007, 01:24:58 PM
I'm going to guess First Lieutenant.  I have no evidence to back it up, but then again, we're just taking a wag anyway.

I say 1st Lt because it's the highest you can get before you have to do something outside of the squadron.  The CAP lifers will probably go farther, but the folks who are in for a few years while their kids are members, or who just have no interest in serving at echelons above the squadron, are likely to stop at 1st Lt.

Also, just as a personal anecdote, I've met a whole lot more lieutenants in CAP than anything else.  The majority of the TAC officers we get at encampment every year are 2d Lt or 1st Lt, as are the majority of the support staff at the squadrons I've seen.

I would say that to a degree as well.   Those that focus on the local unit and local issues might not care to reach of Major or Oberstleutnant.  People who are "squadron/group" types tend to focus on professional development that is more "operational" than "abstract."

I would assume that former cadets might tend to focus on moving up the ranks as they did in their cadet days; In fact a Friend of mine that is a former Cadet and now past Squadron commander once told me that he felt that TFOs and SFOs he knew would get bored because they would likely reach Lt Col before most and "have done it all."  This was likely his view, but it makes a degree of sense if one keeps the "cadet achievement" mentality and applies to to the Senior Program.

As for me, I have no ambition to become a Lt Col at this time (I have some 3 1/2 years before I am even eligible anyway).  I eventually do all the Professional Development for it anyway as "self improvement..." to be a better CAP Officer, the the goal is not to promote.  Right now my goal is to countine to develop the Corpus Christi Comp Squadron and maybe start a few new units proximate.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

RogueLeader

I think that it would really depend, at the squadron, on the background of the members.  Example, at the Squadron where I had joined up was half Lt. Cols, but where I am now, its FO's, Lt's and Capt's
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Major Carrales

Lets look at some senarios...

1) New Squadron from scratch...

5 SMs
7  2d Lts
3 1st Lts
1 Captain

Assuming two are pilots advanced to 1st Lt, 1 1st Lt from a former unit and the Squadron COmmander

2) Same Unit five years later...

5 SMs
9  2d Lts
4 1st Lts
3 Captain

Assuming slight growth with some having advanced their grades via TIG and professional developent...

3) 20 year later...

3 SMs
5  2d Lts
6 1st Lts
4 Captain
3 Majors
2 Lt Cols

4) Legacy Squadron...

1 SMs
3  2d Lts
8 1st Lts
5 Captain
2 Majors
6 Lt Cols

5) Retooled rebuilt squadron...

3 SMs
4  2d Lts
6 1st Lts
2 Captain
4 Majors
2 Lt Cols

This assumes slight growth with minimal attrition except for the last example where a small "core" of long time offiers bring in new blood.

Commander
SWR-TX-454