What to do during the Pledge of Allegiance

Started by mdickinson, February 28, 2014, 02:59:22 AM

mdickinson

We all know that during the Pledge of Allegiance, those in civilian clothes place their hand over their heart and recite along.

But what are those in military uniform supposed to do?

• I was taught in CAP that we stand at attention and recite, but do not salute. But the attached page from CAPP 151 says that those in "military-style uniform" (i.e. all CAP uniforms except the golf shirt) stand at attention and remain silent. Note the pamphlet does not make a distinction between indoor and outdoor, and does not mention saluting.

• My local Coast Guard Auxiliary unit opens each monthly meeting with the Pledge, and everyone in uniform salutes and recites. I thought this was wrong because we should be reciting but not saluting... but then I found this guide which, on page 10, quotes the U.S. Code:
    Quote from: U.S. Code, Title 4, Chapter 1, para. 4Persons in uniform should remain silent, face the flag, and render the military salute.

• Then I found this page, which appears to be an unofficial web site advising new recruits in the Army. It says
    Quote from: armystudyguide.comWhen in uniform, outdoors, stand at attention, remain silent, face the flag, and render the hand salute.
    When in uniform, indoors, stand at attention, remain silent, and face the flag.

There is in fact only one correct way, right? Are we really supposed to salute if outdoors - and only recite if wearing the golf shirt or civilian clothes?

If it was a uniformed CAP meeting, and everyone followed the instructions given in 4 USC 1 para 4, then the majority of people would be standing there silently, and only those not in uniform would be reciting!  (or if everyone was in a "military-style uniform," no one would be reciting at all! How awkward would that be?)

What do you do at your local unit?

JoeTomasone

CAPP 151 is mostly correct. 

Quote from: 4 U.S. Code ยง 4 - Pledge of allegiance to the flag; manner of delivery
The Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag: "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.", should be rendered by standing at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. When not in uniform men should remove any non-religious headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should remain silent, face the flag, and render the military salute.

The protocol is that when a given meeting/event/ceremony is attended by all uniformed personnel, the Pledge is NOT recited; the supposition being that members of the military swear their allegiance each and every time they put the uniform on.   Only when civilians are present is the Pledge included.

As the law calls for those "in uniform" - not strictly active duty personnel - I believe that CAPP 151 should include the requirement to salute when in AF-style uniform.

Eclipse

The flag code wins since that's Federal law.

It's also one of the reasons why I don't like the pledge recited at meetings or other public gatherings
where military and CAP members in USAF-style uniforms are present, I ended the practice when I was a unit CC,
but many still do it.

I've been to a Memorial Day service where a well-intentioned, but misinformed VFW member was
leading the crowd in the Pledge. 

The response from the crowd was 1/2-hearted so he said.

"OK, we're going to do that again, and I want to hear everyone and take off your hats!"

Which left a number of us in military, LE, & FD full-dress uniforms, wheel caps and all, standing there silently,
saluting, getting 3000psi stares from the crowd and the VFW guy.

Still makes me cringe when I remember it.

"That Others May Zoom"

mdickinson

The first half of this entry in the knowledgebase is a mess; it fails to mention the part about remaining silent, and fails to note that one doesn't salute during  the Pledge when indoors.
http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1013/~/protocol-for-the-flag-and-during-the-pledge-of-allegiance

But at the bottom of the kb answer, there is a useful excerpt from the relevant Air Force Manual:
Quote from: AIR FORCE MANUAL 36-2203 DRILL AND CEREMONIES7.38. Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag:
7.38.1. In military formations and ceremonies, the Pledge of Allegiance is not recited.
7.38.2. At protocol functions and social and sporting events that include civilian participants, military personnel should:
7.38.2.1. When in uniform outdoors, stand at attention, remain silent, face the flag, and render the hand salute.
7.38.2.2. When in uniform indoors, stand at attention, remain silent, and face the flag. Do not render the hand salute. Where the participants are primarily civilians or in civilian attire, reciting the Pledge of Allegiance is optional for those in uniform.
7.38.2.3. When in civilian attire, recite the Pledge of Allegiance standing at attention, facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. Men should remove their headdress with the right hand and hold it over their left shoulder, hand over the heart.

Also  see  AIR FORCE PAMPHLET 34-1202 GUIDE TO PROTOCOL

lordmonar

One of the problems with quoting USAF regulations IRT the Pledge is that the reason why AD military does not recite the pledge is because they have all already taken a higher oath in the form of their enlistment/commissioning oaths.....not because they are in uniform.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RRLE

Quote from: mdickinson on February 28, 2014, 02:59:22 AM
]My local Coast Guard Auxiliary unit opens each monthly meeting with the Pledge, and everyone in uniform salutes and recites. I thought this was wrong because we should be reciting but not saluting... but then I found this guide which, on page 10, quotes the U.S. Code:
Quote from: U.S. Code, Title 4, Chapter 1, para. 4Persons in uniform should remain silent, face the flag, and render the military salute.

You are not correct regarding the USCG Aux.

The latest Auxiliary Manual (AuxMan) 12.A.6. Pledge of Allegiance after quoting the same USC as above states:

QuoteWhen the pledge is given, if a man or woman is seen in uniform saluting but not reciting it, then that is the likely reason for their silence.

In lieu of the above, when the Pledge of Allegiance is given, Auxiliarists, in uniform or not, may stand at attention facing the flag with their right hand over their heart while reciting the Pledge. If in uniform and covered, then Auxiliarists shall render the hand salute whether reciting the Pledge or not.

The "may" in the above leaves whether to recite or not up to the individual member - it is not dictated by the group leader.

antdetroitwallyball

If anything, I have found USCG AUXies to be more prone to customs/courtesies screw ups, since the auxiliary does not run its organization with the military-focus that CAP tends to.

In fact, at the station I work at tommorow, a group of auxies will be doing some training, and last week when morning colors was piped, I observed them all standing, facing the the direction of the flag (which was outdoors) and rendering a salute. The active duty members at the station saw this and brought it to my attention.

So, tommorow, I will breifly address the group regarding this.

At least CAP has the Cadets, who tend to be very squared-away and ready to correct the slip-ups of the Senior Members. In the CGAUX, it's just the blind leading the blind.

pierson777

Quote from: JoeTomasone on February 28, 2014, 03:15:55 AM
The protocol is that when a given meeting/event/ceremony is attended by all uniformed personnel, the Pledge is NOT recited; the supposition being that members of the military swear their allegiance each and every time they put the uniform on.   Only when civilians are present is the Pledge included.

I agree with you, but imagine how awkward it could be.  40 uniformed cap members.  One curious person not in uniform that showed up with the prospect of joining.  The commander announces, "time for the Pledge of Allegiance."  Then silence.  The new guy looks around the room waiting for someone to begin, confused why everyone is at attention and silent.  The commander looks at him and says "go ahead, recite the pledge."

I think Eclipse is on to something with the idea of eliminating the pledge from the opening of the meeting.  We've had the same routine for for over ten years.  Recite the pledge, invocation, then conduct the rest of the meeting.  I wonder, does anyone have anything else that they do at the beginning of their meeting instead of the pledge.  A couple times per year my unit does a flag raising with cadet flights and senior member flight, with a bugler or bugle mp3 over a PA.  We can't do it every week though.  So, what is everyone doing to kick off the meeting other than, "Seats, At Ease?"

Walkman

We have opening formations for cadets, but we don't do the pledge or an invocation.

Our "pledge of allegance" is implied when we wear our uniform. Our BDUs have the flag on them, even. We live the pledge with our CAP service.

As an extrememly religious man who spent about a decade as an ordained youth minister and has a son serving a mission, I don't see any need or reason for a CAP unit to open with a prayer. My personal beliefs include prayer and I pray with my wife and chilren. But that's MY belief. I know there are a few people in my unit that happen to belong to the same faith, but most don't.

Chappie

I have no problem with the Pledge of Allegiance taking place during a meeting of CAP members at any level.  The local squadron that I attend from time to time gives this simple announcement when the pledge is recited as to make sure no one feels excluded: "Please join me in reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, those in military-style uniforms  will stand at attention and those in civilian attire will place their hands over their hearts."

As for the invocation, that has always been -- from my experience -- the discretion of the commander.  As a Chaplain, I am prepared to offer an invocation or benediction...if requested.   I see my role as facilitating the need/request expressed by the commander and not dictating my belief.   
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)