AF personnel not authorized to operate CAP Vehicles

Started by Lord of the North, October 10, 2010, 07:27:38 PM

Lord of the North

CAPR 77-1, dated 8 October 2010, states in paragraph 1-7c:

CAP-USAF use of CAP corporate vehicles is governed by CAP-USAF Instruction 24-309, Transportation, Government and CAP Vehicles. CAP-USAF personnel (including CAPRAP) must have a valid state driver's license. Other AF personnel and ROTC units are not authorized to operate CAP vehicles without explicit permission from CAP-USAF/CC.

Will this impact how your unit operates?

Eclipse

Quote from: Lord of the North on October 10, 2010, 07:27:38 PM
CAPR 77-1, dated 8 October 2010, states in paragraph 1-7c:

CAP-USAF use of CAP corporate vehicles is governed by CAP-USAF Instruction 24-309, Transportation, Government and CAP Vehicles. CAP-USAF personnel (including CAPRAP) must have a valid state driver's license. Other AF personnel and ROTC units are not authorized to operate CAP vehicles without explicit permission from CAP-USAF/CC.

Will this impact how your unit operates?

No.  Is this a change?

Why would USAF or ROTC people who are not also CAP members want or need to drive our vehicles?

"That Others May Zoom"

Lord of the North

Yes it is a change.

Keep in mind that this change makes no distinction if the AF personnel are also CAP members.

a2capt

Okay, so can USA, USN, USMC, USCG ... people who are also CAP members operate CAP vehicles with the appropriate CAP paperwork?

When you sign into a CAP activity, the other hat comes off and the CAP goes on, otherwise you're not here in CAP capacity, operating under the CAP regulations that govern said activity.

Eclipse

Quote from: Lord of the North on October 10, 2010, 07:41:07 PM
Yes it is a change.

Keep in mind that this change makes no distinction if the AF personnel are also CAP members.

It doesn't need to.

This doesn't bar CAP members who are also in the USAF or ROTC from operating CAP vehicles, it simply indicates
that USAF or ROTC personnel cannot operate them independent of CAP membership.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

I suppose its a good idea to make it clear that AF members who have absolutely no association with CAP shouldn't drive CAP vehicles.  After all, they have no idea at all what CAP rules are for using the vehicles.

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on October 10, 2010, 08:38:43 PM
I suppose its a good idea to make it clear that AF members who have absolutely no association with CAP shouldn't drive CAP vehicles.  After all, they have no idea at all what CAP rules are for using the vehicles.

I don't disagree with that - I've met a few that felt that since these vehicles were linked to the USAF they should have Carte Blanche use of them, including the aircraft.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on October 10, 2010, 08:48:31 PM
I've met a few that felt that since these vehicles were linked to the USAF they should have Carte Blanche use of them, including the aircraft.
So have I.  Still wonder how they get the idea. It's not like all airman have use of every vehicle that's Air Force owned.

RiverAux

lordmonar

Quote from: Lord of the North on October 10, 2010, 07:41:07 PM
Yes it is a change.

You are making a distinction that is not there.

If you are CAP....you are CAP unless otherwise noted.   
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

O-Rex

Most probably a question of insurance liability, which would make sense.

PHall

Quote from: RiverAux on October 10, 2010, 10:16:08 PM
Can I check out an A-10?

Sure, as soon as you show me an AF Form 8 that says you're qualified to fly it.
Some flight orders authorizing the flight would be nice too!

DakRadz

Quote from: RiverAux on October 10, 2010, 10:16:08 PM
Can I check out an A-10?

No sir, not unless you install a backseat for me to ride along! (And you'd better just install another yoke back there too, for redundancy- of course, anyone can land the 'Hog, those things are resilient).

So... If someone is dual USAF and CAP (not USAF-CAP), they can drive a vehicle if they're cleared regularly for CAP (Driver's License and such). Don't see this regulation as covering the AD SSgt and CAP Captain who switches hats as soon as he heads for CAP.
Being CAP-USAF is 'nother horse than being CAP and USAF.