AF cyber-mission for CAP?

Started by DNall, December 11, 2006, 04:05:21 AM

DNall

We've been having conversations of late about other things CAP can do for the AF rather than go corporate. Here's one I'd be interested in your comments on:

8th AF designated Cyberspace Command: Story link

From the Air Force Institute for National Security Studies at the Academy (FY07):
Quote4.65 How can/should the Air Force Auxiliary (Civil Air Patrol) role be expanded for emerging Air/Space/Cyber roles & functions?
- How can we best expand on the "air" dimension with space and cyber functions?
- Should expansion be limited to increasing emphasis on support areas such as medical, law enforcement, and chaplain?
- Is homeland defense and civil support an appropriate arena for role expansion?

Reserve Component Contributions to National Defense
QuoteVolunteer Auxiliaries - organized along the lines of the Civil Air Patrol or Coast Guard Auxiliary - can attract individuals from all age groups to associate and identify with military service, culture, and core values. One example, similar to the Civil Air Patrol, is a civil cyber corps that could foster partnerships in the information technology arena. (p73)

It's an interesting strategic topic don't you think? I don't think we're in a position to defend the nation from cyber attack so much, but there's been stories of ordinary house wives tracking terrorist websites. Another story I saw a year or so ago about some regular citizen finding the things & reporting them to service providers to be knocked off their servers. If I were the govt, I'd sick an Army of hackers on the things to run disinformation, make them all look like idiots, & blow their credibility with bad guy readers. I don't know that CAP needs to be doing something like that, but it appeals to the devious unconventional streak in me. Of course the AF cyber mission is more focused on protecting infrastructure & such. Anyway, what are your thoughts? Does this seem like the kind of out-of-the-box way CAP could make a contribution? In what realistic ways can you envision CAP making an impact in this area?

RiverAux

Those are pretty broad topics.  I absolutely find it hilarious that anyone who has ever tried to visit the CAP web site would even consider us for a role in cyber warfare.  On the other hand, maybe our proven capabilities at making information incredibly difficult to find on a public web site has shown them that we could be useful in a defensive role?

Eclipse

You're seriously suggesting that an organization that is responsible for the WMU, IMU, eServices, and MIMs could somehow sell itself as technology cops?

:o

Well, good luck with THAT!

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

However, it is good that someone in the AF homeland security shop is looking at CAP. 

It is also interesting that it was phrased in #2 as "should expansion be limited....".  This implies some existing support to expand CAP use in chaplain and professional areas that we have discussed in other threads.  That in itself is good and of course I advocate for increashing emphasis on the professional augmentation opportunities and expanding it beyond those skill sets where viable. 

The inclusion of "law enforcement" in there is somewhat unusual though. 

DNall

Okay yes that does make it a bit comical, please ignore that aspect. The NHQ IT staff isn't on trial in this thread. However most of those programs were made by individual members, so there is some skill out there, it just hasn't been slammed together very well with a logical interface.

What specifics in that broad range can members do, & is it a range we should play in at all?

Those aren't the HLS shop by the way, they're actually pretty broad point sources, on top of the war college deal we've seen repeatedly now.

NOTE: Feel free to start new threads if you come up with other such ways CAP might be able to expand within the AF mission, take a load of stretched active/guard/res forces, or save money by working cheap.

Matt

Quote from: Eclipse on December 11, 2006, 04:31:45 AM
You're seriously suggesting that an organization that is responsible for the WMU, IMU, eServices, and MIMs could somehow sell itself as technology cops?

:o

Well, good luck with THAT!

I'd have to say: two different systems.  WMU, IMU and the ole' MMU is by Pete Anderson.  eServices and MIMS is NHQ.

I believe there is value in this if we let it in... it simply means more training in the area.

<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: RiverAux on December 11, 2006, 04:55:46 AM
However, it is good that someone in the AF homeland security shop is looking at CAP. 

It is also interesting that it was phrased in #2 as "should expansion be limited....".  This implies some existing support to expand CAP use in chaplain and professional areas that we have discussed in other threads.  That in itself is good and of course I advocate for increashing emphasis on the professional augmentation opportunities and expanding it beyond those skill sets where viable. 

The inclusion of "law enforcement" in there is somewhat unusual though. 

I don't think its unusual, River.  Remember, the USAF considers the Border mission to be Law Enforcement, not a "Rescue" operation as TP has tried to portray it.  That's why we had to "Cover our tails,"  ... literally!
Another former CAP officer

DNall

Personally I think of it as CN mission reporting suspicious activity to be investigated by ICE for drugs. If it turns out they're violating some other law then that's not my problem I'm on down the way - possibly providing comm support to remote lone agents from altitude. That way it all gets flown & paid for nice & neat under the existing customs system. That's if you actually want to fly the mission now, versus make a political statement & break CAP free of posse comitatus so we can slip on down that slope into non-drug related LE for local cops - screw teh hell out of that!!

I'm pretty sure the LE he's talking about comes from your suggestions in the augmentation thread, but feel free to click the link & follow the POC.

RiverAux

QuoteThose aren't the HLS shop by the way,

The contact person seemed to have the identifier for the homeland security people in his title.  I could be wrong though. 

DNall

Yeah you're wrong on that one, the office symbols can be misleading. That's actually the Air Staff directorate that oversees CAP, & I believe the officer listed is deputy because you can see from the BoG minutes that the top guy is an O-6. It's the very top of the AF asking for help on how what to do with CAP, which is a good thing.  ;D

DNall

wingnut55

There is a very serious problem with the perceived level of CAP support capability vs the Actual sustainability.

Many CAP members are TOO OLD to be flying in some of our missions.

DNall

Quote from: wingnut55 on October 30, 2008, 06:55:00 AM
There is a very serious problem with the perceived level of CAP support capability vs the Actual sustainability.

Many CAP members are TOO OLD to be flying in some of our missions.

Okay, now while I may very well agree with that too old statement, or at least that there should be some kind of cap on it, what does that have to do with IT guys on the ground aiding 8AF (cyber command) in their efforts to protect US infrastructure & attack enemy communications lines?

Certainly we do have a VERY high capability. And yes, there are questions about sustainability.

If you'll reference the original post, I believe I mentioned another story about a housewife out doing her own thing, tracing terrorist posters off websites & reporting info to the FBI or something along those lines. I think that's a bad idea for private citizens to do that kind of thing. They're just as apt to blow up a govt operation as they are to do any good.

On the other hand, a coordinated effort would be useful, especially if it's defend/attack servers versus intel on people.

There's another white-paper out there in which CAP is mentioned by name. Specifically, that in order to combat this cyber issue, talent in the civilian IT world needs to be tapped, and perhaps a volunteer org based on the model of CAP should be established with membership by companies & private citizens to partner with DoD to accomplish this task. The leap we made here was, instead of "based on CAP," why not part of CAP?

RiverAux

Major bump ..... 

Justified by the interview with the 1st AF Commander in the new Volunteer in which he encourages CAP to continue to explore cyber operations.  This was part of a sentence started talking about CyberPatriot so its possible he was only referring to that rather than CAP getting involved in cyber operations in general.