ESO Mentor - Anyone want to help?

Started by RiChArD7032, June 20, 2018, 03:10:16 PM

RiChArD7032

I'm a newly assigned ESO and I have zero experience.  I printed out the specialty track and will begin knocking out the training list for the tech level.  But, in the mean time, is there any experienced ESO's here that I can ask questions and have as a mentor?  My unit hasn't had a ESO for how ever long so there's nobody who has filled the role to assist me.  My Commander knows a lot, but I'd like to utilize other sources since he's very busy with several programs of his own. 

Thanks for the help!

arajca

Have you contacted your wing counterpart for a recommendation? They would have a better idea of the issues and policies for your wing.

RiChArD7032

etodd

Do you have IS-100, 200, 700, and 800 knocked out? If not, start there. Its all online. That'll take you some time.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Sriracha

Hi there!

I'm not an ESO, so you may want to take what I say with a grain of salt, but I am a cadet ESNCO, and have worked with my ESO and others. First off, as previously mentioned, get IS-100, 200, 700, and 800 done. Also, make sure youve done all your online testing. This includes Aircraft Ground Handling, all ORM, and all GES. Make sure you get ICUT out of the way and get that done. If you're not already qualified in at least one ES qualification, you should try to do that. Once that's out of the way, your most frequent duty will be to ensure your squadron is up to date on ES. Make sure you and other ES involved individuals know your regulations (60-3, 173-3 are pretty important to know). Push people to do ICUT (required for many ES quals) and GES, if people are interested in getting qualified, try to put them in contact with a SET.

Generally, push your people to work with ES, and make sure they have the resources to be successful with it. Good luck, and congratulations on your appointment to the position!

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk

etodd

One of the requirements:

"Develop and implement an annual emergency services training plan."

Maybe I'm overlooking something simple and obvious, but not sure what they are asking for here. This is the only thing I'm lacking.

EMT-83

Quote from: etodd on June 22, 2018, 02:39:35 AM
One of the requirements:

Maybe I'm overlooking something simple and obvious, but not sure what they are asking for here. This is the only thing I'm lacking.

Don't over think it - it is simple and obvious. Identify your ES goals and the training required to achieve them. Set quarterly objectives for the next year: there's your annual training plan.

etodd

Quote from: EMT-83 on June 22, 2018, 03:21:12 AM

Don't over think it - it is simple and obvious. Identify your ES goals and the training required to achieve them. Set quarterly objectives for the next year: there's your annual training plan.

Well yes,  its right in front of my face. I have two members asking me about training them for AP. So I'll get going making up a schedule. Thanks. :)

lordmonar

One of the requirements:

Your annual ES traiing plan is just the basic long term planning to meet your ES needs.

You start with identifing your ES needs......We need to have 8 GTMs, 2 GTLs, 3 MSL, 1 CUL, 4 MRO, etc and so forth.

Now you see what your currently got.
Then you check to see how much attrition you get....."We loose 50% per year"

So your training plan should focus first on your immediate short falls.
Then the plan should focus on staying in front of your attrition.   Half of your GTMS disappear each year you need to make sure you are holding enough GTM courses.
Finally the plan should also include currency training/events.

Now....here's the fun part.  You don't have to do all of this yourself.

Your wing should also have an annual training plan.   That would help cover your currency training needs...and you would only have to do training that wing does not provide.
Also...if you have other nearby squadrons.....cross deck with their ESO's to see if there is any way you can share the load.   Say you are doing quarterly GT training....Squadron X can do it first and third quarter and Squadron Y does it 2nd and 4th quarter.

Remember the whole point of the training plan is to make sure you have enough trained ES personnel to meet your ES needs/taskings.   So that is your first and most important task right now.   You will definitely need to coordinate with wing/group ES to find out what your squadron's share of that burden is.

Good Luck
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

etodd

Quote from: lordmonar on June 22, 2018, 04:37:27 AM
One of the requirements:

Your annual ES traiing plan is just the basic long term planning to meet your ES needs.

You start with identifing your ES needs......We need to have 8 GTMs, 2 GTLs, 3 MSL, 1 CUL, 4 MRO, etc and so forth.

Now you see what your currently got.
Then you check to see how much attrition you get....."We loose 50% per year"

So your training plan should focus first on your immediate short falls.
Then the plan should focus on staying in front of your attrition.   Half of your GTMS disappear each year you need to make sure you are holding enough GTM courses.
Finally the plan should also include currency training/events.

Now....here's the fun part.  You don't have to do all of this yourself.

Your wing should also have an annual training plan.   That would help cover your currency training needs...and you would only have to do training that wing does not provide.
Also...if you have other nearby squadrons.....cross deck with their ESO's to see if there is any way you can share the load.   Say you are doing quarterly GT training....Squadron X can do it first and third quarter and Squadron Y does it 2nd and 4th quarter.

Remember the whole point of the training plan is to make sure you have enough trained ES personnel to meet your ES needs/taskings.   So that is your first and most important task right now.   You will definitely need to coordinate with wing/group ES to find out what your squadron's share of that burden is.

Good Luck

Good info, that really helps.  Yes, our Wing provides great training at SAREXs multiple times per year. But folks are not always able to go. Hence my mentioning above wanting to hold class for a couple folks interested in AP.

Yes, I'll print out some Qualifications reports and see what we have and what we need. Thanks!

RiChArD7032

Thanks everyone for the help and feedback!!!  You've definitely helped me get on the right track.  I'm looking forward to doing something I've never done before. 

Thanks again!!!  :)