Main Menu

AirVenture Hammered?

Started by Eclipse, July 24, 2016, 03:27:17 AM

Eclipse

A couple of very strong storms just passed through NEIL, on a track that brought them though WIWG.

Did OshKosh get hammered?

"That Others May Zoom"

grunt82abn

I haven't heard anything yet, if I do I will post. We drove from LA Crosse to Kenosha yesterday, a ton of rain, some trees down, but nothing to bad
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

Eclipse

http://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2015/july/18/powerful-storm-hits-oshkosh-in-advance-of-airventure

"I woke up at about 5 a.m. and the sky was orange. All of a sudden it was like a hurricane, and then it was gone," said Mike Lambert, a private pilot attending the show that officially kicks off July 20. Lambert was at an Oshkosh sporting goods store Saturday morning to locate new poles for his tent, which was heavily damaged in the storm.

Lambert documented some of the damage on the show grounds, including an Aviat Husky turned on its nose, its tail resting above the roof of a trailer. The storm-tossed Husky may conjure up memories of the tornado that struck the Sun 'n Fun International Fly-In and Expo in Lakeland, Florida, in 2011. The Husky damaged in that storm became AOPA's 2012 Tougher than a Tornado Sweepstakes airplane and regained new life.

The Saturday morning storm also tossed garbage cans, knocked over portable restrooms, and upended aircraft in some of the exhibitor booths.

The extended weather forecast for Oshkosh predicts sun and clouds for most of EAA AirVenture, a nice welcome for the more than 10,000 pilots who will be flying their aircraft in for the event—although their wing rocks on approach will be much less dramatic than Mother Nature's."

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

Hopefully no one was hurt, and some members earned new non-distress Find ribbons...

:-\

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Robert Hartigan

Let me know if that Husky is discounted?
<><><>#996
GRW   #2717

Fubar

Seems like they get at least one storm every year. The CAP building there isn't big enough to hold everyone at the activity, so a number of folks end up in tents in the yard. They usually need to bring paddles.

grunt82abn

The only news Milwaukee had on EAA was that the biggest amphibious water tender landed in the lake
Sean Riley, TSGT

Eeyore

The tanker also hit a rock when it was taxiing through the lake and punched two 3 inch holes in the hull.

grunt82abn

Quote from: Eeyore on August 02, 2016, 07:08:02 PM
The tanker also hit a rock when it was taxiing through the lake and punched two 3 inch holes in the hull.

Selective reporting my Milwaukee's own WISN News. Never even mentioned it hitting a rock.
Sean Riley, TSGT

Eeyore

vesryn

The storm was pretty bad. I was on CQ when the DCC came out and ordered us inside, to prepare for "inclement weather."

AFIK, no Cadets or Officers were hurt.
Eaker #3363
NYWG Encampment Cadet Commander 2018
NYWG Encampment '13, '14, '15, '18, '19