After meeting meetings...

Started by Stonewall, December 26, 2008, 02:57:48 AM

Stonewall

Anyone meet up for an after meeting meeting?  Not an official meeting, but where a few of the seniors, maybe even senior cadets get together for a bite to eat and maybe discuss things you couldn't at the meetings?

As a cadet it was Burger King or as we secretly called it "Bravo Kilo".  I know, subtle.

As a senior, we went to a Mickey Dees. 

At both places, in two different states during two different time periods, it was almost as we adopted these two places to where they locked us in after they closed (22:00) and let us continue to hang out.  In fact at the McDee's, they gave us free food.  Went on for years.

I am not aware of this happening at my current squadron.  Maybe times have changed.
Serving since 1987.

Flying Pig

IceNine

We pretty much stuck to denny's and steak and shake
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Major Carrales

After a visit from , we started meeting up at a local What-a-burger.  Later we switched to IHOP.

However, once we moved to CAP STATION CORPUS CHRISTI at the International Airport, we were pretty much too far from any place to do this.  Strangely, 90% of the unit's membership is not from Corpus Christi Proper.

I do sometime take Brahma Cadet Flight members from Kingsville to the Corpus Christi Meeting...we do get to stop afterwards to feed at the MacDonalds or What-a-Burger in Robstown, Texas.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Timbo

At my last Squadron it was the O-Club.  The Post Commander let CAP Senior Members join the club, it was very nice. 

Stonewall

Quote from: Timbo on December 26, 2008, 03:07:09 AM
At my last Squadron it was the O-Club. 

That's actually what we referred to McDonald's as, the "O Club".
Serving since 1987.

Trung Si Ma

Julio's.

They're so use to seeing us as a group that they started setting a table for our normal crew when I went in there by myself for lunch earlier this week.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

mprokosch11

Us senior cadets meet at McDonald's the third Tuesday of each month. Occasionally, we will go to an "actual" restaurant.
C/Capt Matthew A. Prokosch, CAP
New York Wing
Utica Cadet Squadron (NER-NY-162)

JoeTomasone

WIWAC, it was Friendly's - a (mostly) Northeastern ice cream & burger joint.   Every week post-meeting.

As a SM, I've only been on Wing and Group staff, not so much post-meeting activity there since everyone lived/lives pretty far apart.

cap235629

OUr seniors usually wind up at TGIFridays
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

♠SARKID♠

El Grecco's right next to our airport.  Members of our squadron have been going there for years and years after every meeting night.  We're friends with the staff and know the deeper details of our waitress' life.  That's how tight we are there.

lordmonar

We got a little bar-grill near the Airport where we have dinner and a little adult beverage.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

AlphaSigOU

The unofficial Addison Composite Squadron 'officer's club' is a place called Two Rows near the Dallas North Tollway. Good chow and a frosty microbrew... ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

LtCol057

We used to reconvene our after-meetings at the local Western Sizzlin, but lately, as soon as I say "that's all I have" half the seniors are at full gallop out the door.  It's not like our meetings are long. Most times it takes me longer to drive to the meeting than the meeting lasts.  But that's about to change. They just don't know it yet.   :-X   Don't spill the beans, NCHokie. 

Duke Dillio

Back in the day (A Thursday by the way) our after hours entertainment was at a local Shari's.  With the squadron I am in now, there isn't anything close by.  Sharpe's Depot is kindof in the boonies so there aren't any official "unofficial" after hours meetings...

JAFO78

My first squadron, Valley Squadron used a Ground Round, SM Only.

When I went to Viking it was Pizza Hut right across the street. It was open to everyone. During the summer it was weekly, but with school started, what with homework it dropped to monthly for some, weekly for us SM. We used to order 5 to 6 pizzas and 8 pitchers of Pepsi.

Our C/CC would always remind everyone to bring $5 bucks next week.

ah the good ol days.  :'(

Thanks UK, I forgot about the after meetings meeting.
JAFO

Johnny Yuma

WIWAC, it was Long John Silvers, then Godfather's pizza as a couple older cadets worked there and one of the seniors was the store manager.

We (briefly) had a unit CC whose picture was next to micromanagement in Webster's dictionary. If there were more than 3 cadets together, CAP or not, he thought he had to approve the meeting. The clown actually followed the older cadets who drove around after meeting to make certain we went straight home, even on meeting nights.

He did this to me twice: I stopped after a meeting to pick up my paycheck from the fun park I worked at. After about 5 minutes of him lecturing me about unapproved activities in a CAP uniform and that I had 2 cadets with me I was taking home my boss walked over to my car, handed me my check and told my CC to leave before he called the cops on him. The guy actually next meeting told the cadets my workplace was off limits for any CAP cadet.

One night the clown followed me downtown. I was picking my father up from work at the Police Department. I parked, ran in and told the cop at the desk I was being followed by some old guy. The gendarmes, plus my (very pissed) father convinced him that following young men around at all hours of the night wasn't appropriate behavior for a man who worked in the educational profession.

He left CAP shortly afterward.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Stonewall

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on December 26, 2008, 01:12:14 PM
WIWAC, it was Long John Silvers, then Godfather's pizza as a couple older cadets worked there and one of the seniors was the store manager.

Was Godfather's Pizza a Florida thing?  I don't see it around anymore but I thought it was a FL place.

You from FL?
Serving since 1987.

NIN

WIWAC, it was the Mickey D's down the street from the Jr High we met at. 

Later, as a senior, we used to visit a very quiet (quiet as in "How the hell does this place stay in business") pub across the street from the Jr High we met at. (different sq).

Every squadron I've been a member of in MI Wing had an "after-meeting" location.  Before I was a member of the South Oakland squadron, their after-meeting was in the Ram's Horn (Sorta like a Big Boy, but local, and a little more "greasy spoon"-ish) right out in front of my apartment complex, so I'd walk over and visit with the guys. Later, when I was the deputy and then commander in the unit, we'd do the "Romeo Hotel" (the Ram's Horn) to the point where on Wednesday nights they'd have a bunch of tables pushed together for us and coffee on standby when we breezed in the door.  Chicken sub with soup was my standard after-meeting fare.  Mmmmm... Occasionally we'd take a Romeo Hotel break and hit the Big Boy on Telegraph Road for a while. 

My unit here in NH?  We have the "Officer's Club East" (the local Friendlys), the "Officer's Club West" (the Legion), and the "all ranks club" (Dunkin' Donuts).   The cadets do tend to congregate at the Wendy's about 100 yards from the Armory, but since we have to go out the gate on the other side of the reservation now, its far less convenient.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SarDragon

WIWAC, a local diner ('60s time frame). In my previous unit ('99 - '04) as an SM, Denny's. Now, yak in the parking lot for a few minutes, and then off to home. Since I'm in a Senior Sq. now, that's all we really need.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Trung Si Ma

Nin -

Royal Oak Cadet used to go to the Big Boy's on Woodward and 13 1/2 Mile after the meeting and the Birmingham Composite went to an all you can eat fried fish place by Berz Airport.

RADIOMAN015

After a full day at work and generally about 3.5 to 4 hours at the evening meeting, I'm ready to go home & rest rather than socialize (since I also have to get up early to go to work the next day) -- Perhaps IF our meetings were on a Friday night or weekends during the day, I'd have a different response.

A very few senior members may occasionally stop at the local tavern right off base.   Some of us keep in contact via telephone/cellphone & emails at other than meeting times.   Our cadets are younger and usually have their parents or another family member driving them to meetings, so they are pretty much gone home after the meeting, since next day for them is also a school day.   Of course some of them are into the IM/text messaging via cellphones, as well as using the telephone to socialize at other than meeting times!!!!

I think again it's more of a time constraint/rest requirements rather than not wanting to socialize with other volunteers!
RM 

BuckeyeDEJ

When I was a squadron commander in Ohio, we met at a World War II bunker-themed restaurant across the airport from our meeting place (an ARNG aviation support facility).

We didn't spend a whole lot of time on CAP business, but it certainly helped our morale and helped us grow together.

Wow, maybe I'll have to start that where I am now -- right now, several of us just hang out a little later at our building, after everyone else is gone.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Major Carrales

Quote from: Stonewall on December 26, 2008, 01:23:16 PM
Quote from: Johnny Yuma on December 26, 2008, 01:12:14 PM

Was Godfather's Pizza a Florida thing?  I don't see it around anymore but I thought it was a FL place.

You from FL?

There was a Godfather's Pizza in Kingsville, Texas' Southgate Mall when I was in Middle and High school.   It closed back in the mid-90s.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

jeders

When I was a cadet it was Mezami's, a little coffee shop around the corner from wear we had our meetings.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

NIN

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on December 26, 2008, 10:14:47 PM
Nin -

Royal Oak Cadet used to go to the Big Boy's on Woodward and 13 1/2 Mile after the meeting and the Birmingham Composite went to an all you can eat fried fish place by Berz Airport.

Berz or Oakland/Troy?  Berz was way the hell out in Macomb County.. :)

My squadron (South Oakland) was formed out of the merger of the former Farmington Squadron (later "Starfire" Squadron, but it was the same unit) and the Columbia Cadet Sq from Clawson, and we met at the Reserve Center in Southfield next to the old AMC building.

I grew up in Macomb County, only lived in Oakland County later.

EDIT: BTW, that Big Boy was one of my favorites anyhow.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: NIN on December 27, 2008, 04:40:38 AM

My squadron (South Oakland) was formed out of the merger of the former Farmington Squadron (later "Starfire" Squadron, but it was the same unit) and the Columbia Cadet Sq from Clawson, and we met at the Reserve Center in Southfield next to the old AMC building.

Back in the early 70's, what is now Oakland/Troy (KVLL) was called Berz and there was more than the current single runway.  We had a CAP Building out there for Accretion (sp?) Senior Squadron and then Birmingham Composite met there during the summers.  I grew up in Clawson, but we didn't have our own squadron then.  At one point, there were cadet/composite squadrons in Royal Oak (20068), Southfield, Farmington, Birmingham (20199), and Oxford.  There was a squadron in Roseville, but it combined with South Macomb.

Memories.

NIN

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on December 27, 2008, 04:48:52 AM
Back in the early 70's, what is now Oakland/Troy (KVLL) was called Berz and there was more than the current single runway.  We had a CAP Building out there for Accretion (sp?) Senior Squadron and then Birmingham Composite met there during the summers.  I grew up in Clawson, but we didn't have our own squadron then.  At one point, there were cadet/composite squadrons in Royal Oak (20068), Southfield, Farmington, Birmingham (20199), and Oxford.  There was a squadron in Roseville, but it combined with South Macomb.

Memories.

Sweet. I learn a little more. 

South Oakland's unit supply was, when I was the CO, located at in the utility room at the end of one of the t-hangar rows at Oakland/Troy.  We had crapton of stuff in there. :)

Accretion (now there is a weird name I haven't heard in years!) folded into South Oakland when I was the commander in 1997.  Fully 90% of their membership were non-participating members who just hadn't been move to patron status.  Their commander, Bill, uh, Bill... Crap, I can't remember his name, was actually from Roseville.  We absorbed about $200 in their coffers and a crapload of badly out of date records.  And basically no membership.

Bill Webb (formerly the cap.gov administrator) was originally I think in the Birmingham Squadron before it folded its tent up.

And I commanded two units in Group III (Utica-Sterling and South Macomb) and was a cadet in Van Dyke and South Macomb...

EDIT: and to keep this on topic: Utica Sterling used to hold its "After Meeting Meeting" (the "AMM") at the Big Boy in a plaza at 18 and Van Dyke.   ;D
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

addo1

Flip coin here... Chili's or Sonic... same items too... the CAP "bus" got to make a chow stop on the way home... :)
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

brasda91

When I got back active in my squadron, a few of the cadets and seniors would go into town for a bite.  I never did, needed to get home.  When I work days, I need to be up by 0345hrs.  By the time I leave CAP and drive home, get breakfast and lunch packed, clothes laid out and any misc housework done, I'm usually behind on getting to bed.  I also work nights, which leaves my wife to rangle with the 2yr old.  So she's not very cooperate about CAP when I'm not working.

Then as the cadets graduated h.s. and left for college and I took over command, everyone heads home.  The majority of meeting nights when the meeting ends sometime after 2030, I'm still there talking with seniors or trying to get a few papers filed.  My wife knows the meeting is over at 2030hrs and expects that I'll be home by 2100hrs.   ;)
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

brasda91

Do any of you married SM's feel a bit guilty by stopping and eating when your other half has been at home and had ham sandwhich for supper?  You know what I mean?  You go to the meeting and afterwards stop and have a nice dinner, be it McDonald's or the local tavern.  Personally, I don't think that's fair to my wife.  I guess maybe that's another reason why I don't push it.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Stonewall

Quote from: brasda91 on December 27, 2008, 03:36:17 PM
Do any of you married SM's feel a bit guilty by stopping and eating when your other half has been at home and had ham sandwhich for supper?  You know what I mean?  You go to the meeting and afterwards stop and have a nice dinner, be it McDonald's or the local tavern.  Personally, I don't think that's fair to my wife.  I guess maybe that's another reason why I don't push it.

See this thread.
Serving since 1987.

drcomm

Our folks go to Pizza Hut.  Several go regularly, others occasionally.  The times that I go I call my wife and she meets me there.
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Starbase Composite Squadron, SWR-OK-151
Oil Well 767
Mitchell Award #2536 (May 1981)
Amateur Radio Call Sign: KA5OWI

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: NIN on December 27, 2008, 04:40:38 AM
Quote from: Trung Si Ma on December 26, 2008, 10:14:47 PM
Nin -

EDIT: BTW, that Big Boy was one of my favorites anyhow.

How in the world did American Motors get into this discussion... a good part of my childhood was spent with AMC.

When I lived (briefly) in metro Detroit, I lived across from the Glass House on Mercury Drive in Dearborn, but drove up to Van Dyke Cadet Sq, up off Metropolitan Parkway in Clinton Township, Macomb County. Bit of a drive, but I had friends in the unit.

Some of the cadets met at a nearby Wendy's, and even though I was invited along, I never joined them.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Cecil DP

When I was in the Boston Composite Squadron we would meet at a diner. Later on Wing Staff several of us would meet at a rest stop on I 495/95. Mu current squadon doesn't have a social meeting.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

D2SK

We have a meeting debriefing at Applebee's where the food is 1/2 off after 10pm.
Lighten up, Francis.

NIN

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on December 27, 2008, 07:14:07 PM
How in the world did American Motors get into this discussion... a good part of my childhood was spent with AMC.

When I lived (briefly) in metro Detroit, I lived across from the Glass House on Mercury Drive in Dearborn, but drove up to Van Dyke Cadet Sq, up off Metropolitan Parkway in Clinton Township, Macomb County. Bit of a drive, but I had friends in the unit.

Some of the cadets met at a nearby Wendy's, and even though I was invited along, I never joined them.

How long ago was that? I'm trying to remember when Van Dyke met that far north and east.  Metro Parkway in Clinton Twp is almost right on top of Selfridge.

WIWAC, Van Dyke was over on 14 Mile, on the Warren/Sterling Heights line, about 1 1/2 miles from the western edge of Macomb County.  Our main recruiting area was essentially all of the city of Warren and most of Sterling Heights (except the northern parts, which was the province of the Utica-Sterling Sq).  We moved over to around 13 1/2 and Schoenherr at a elementary school-turned-community center at some point in 1984 or 85.  I know that in the 1990s and beyond the unit moved around a lot more.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

MikeD

Nothing post meeting for our squadron, since we meet on a (large) base and everyone lives far away.

Some (the younger/single) SM from our and our neighboring two squadrons meet at a local sports bar after joint SAREX's though.  ;) 

hatentx

What there are secret meetings of the CAP Illuminati going on after hours?  I never knew this... I thought I was part of the "in" crowd.  Oh well right.  We don't do anything really regular being that most of the cadets are younger.  Most of the SM are heading home to get ready for work the next morning but a few times we have all been seen going through the same drive though an the way home.

NIN

Quote from: hatentx on December 28, 2008, 06:27:10 AM
What there are secret meetings of the CAP Illuminati going on after hours?  I never knew this... I thought I was part of the "in" crowd.  Oh well right.  We don't do anything really regular being that most of the cadets are younger.  Most of the SM are heading home to get ready for work the next morning but a few times we have all been seen going through the same drive though an the way home.

<Jedi Mind Trick>
This isn't the star chamber meeting you were looking for...
</Jedi Mind Trick>

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

JAFO78

Quote from: NIN on December 28, 2008, 04:30:33 PM
Quote from: hatentx on December 28, 2008, 06:27:10 AM

<Jedi Mind Trick>
This isn't the star chamber meeting you were looking for...
</Jedi Mind Trick>

<Jedi Mind Trick>
::) ::) ::) ::)
<Jedi Mind Trick>
JAFO

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: NIN on December 27, 2008, 09:45:48 PM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on December 27, 2008, 07:14:07 PM

How long ago was that? I'm trying to remember when Van Dyke met that far north and east.  Metro Parkway in Clinton Twp is almost right on top of Selfridge.

WIWAC, Van Dyke was over on 14 Mile, on the Warren/Sterling Heights line, about 1 1/2 miles from the western edge of Macomb County.  Our main recruiting area was essentially all of the city of Warren and most of Sterling Heights (except the northern parts, which was the province of the Utica-Sterling Sq).  We moved over to around 13 1/2 and Schoenherr at a elementary school-turned-community center at some point in 1984 or 85.  I know that in the 1990s and beyond the unit moved around a lot more.

I was in metro Detroit from July 2006 through February 2007, then moved back to Florida. Job cuts among journalists these last few years have been brutal....

Van Dyke's at the Clinton Township police headquarters. I hope I'm remembering the highways right. I remember I-75 north.... maybe Metropolitan was Selfridge, but then I'm drawing a blank on where I got off 75 for the squadron.

SarDragon

Quote from: brasda91 on December 27, 2008, 03:36:17 PM

Not at all. We try to eat dinner before I go to meetings, and she has no problems with a "staff meeting" afterwards.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ZigZag911

As both a cadet and a senior, it's virtually always been a diner -- this is Jersey, after all!

Oddly enough, we often got more done at the 'post meeting' than the official one.

Stonewall

Quote from: ZigZag911 on December 29, 2008, 04:29:36 AM
Oddly enough, we often got more done at the 'post meeting' than the official one.

That's a fact.  Too much to do in 2 hours at a meeting, especially with 30 to 40 members running around needing your attention.  It's kind of like how major business deals aren't made in the boardroom, but on the golf course.
Serving since 1987.

Slim

Quote from: NIN on December 27, 2008, 05:24:46 AM

Sweet. I learn a little more. 

South Oakland's unit supply was, when I was the CO, located at in the utility room at the end of one of the t-hangar rows at Oakland/Troy.  We had crapton of stuff in there. :)

Still is, though we got rid of a lot of the junk, outdated stuff, and things the critters rendered unusable.  We met in that store room for a summer and a good chunk of fall after we got the boot from the reserve center.

The South Oakland after meeting meeting is still conducted in the same location as it was in Nin's day.  Through the years, the waitress has gotten to know us and our orders.

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on December 29, 2008, 12:09:13 AM
I was in metro Detroit from July 2006 through February 2007, then moved back to Florida. Job cuts among journalists these last few years have been brutal....

Van Dyke's at the Clinton Township police headquarters. I hope I'm remembering the highways right. I remember I-75 north.... maybe Metropolitan was Selfridge, but then I'm drawing a blank on where I got off 75 for the squadron.

Groesbeck between Metro Parkway and 17 Mile.  They've been there four or five years now.

Yep, they're right on top of Selfridge.  The rest of us don't comment on it much.

Slim

Chappie

The location of my "home" squadron is not near any dining facilities....so everyone either eats before the meeting or there might have been an occasion or two where we might have brought take-out with us.  But having an after meeting meeting --- nah...we just wanted to get home.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Slim on December 29, 2008, 04:42:45 AM

Groesbeck between Metro Parkway and 17 Mile.  They've been there four or five years now.

Yep, they're right on top of Selfridge.  The rest of us don't comment on it much.

Yip, that rings a bell. For whatever reason, I was thinking Gratiot, but I knew that wasn't right.

(And for those of you not from Michigan, that word is pronounced GRASH-it, not GRAY-tee-yot.)

"The rest of us don't comment on it much"? Do tell. PM me if you must.... inquiring minds want to know.

PORed

We always hit Chili's afterwards. It seems like more gets worked out there then the 2 hours we have for the meeting.

Eclipse

Quote from: PORed on January 01, 2009, 06:38:13 PM
We always hit Chili's afterwards. It seems like more gets worked out there then the 2 hours we have for the meeting.

Actually, any time I eat at Chili's it works itself out in considerably less time!   ;D

"That Others May Zoom"

bobthebuilder

We go out after the meeting. Usually the meeting is so busy that the extra time at the restaurant is useful for just having fun and getting to know people.

BTW, hopefully none of you stiff the waitress on her tips while in uniform, right?

SAR-EMT1

The Seniors in my unit hit Buffalo Wild Wings.
(Our meeting night is their night for fifty cent boneless)

Food, fellowship and the occasional adult beverage.
The looks we get from the local college crowd can be interesting.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Timbo

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 04, 2009, 02:36:59 AM

BWW is delicious!!!!  I drink eat there almost once a week.

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 04, 2009, 02:36:59 AM
(Our meeting night is their night for fifty cent boneless)

Food, fellowship and the occasional adult beverage.
The looks we get from the local college crowd can be interesting.

Few places are as fun as bw-3.

And yes, being from the home state of what is now Buffalo Wild Wings (and Weck), I can still call it bw-3.  ;D

JohnKachenmeister

WIWAC, a McDonalds near the squadron Hq.  Burgers were still 15 cents.

When I commanded a cadet squadron, the meeting was for breakfast at a greasy spoon about two blocks from the Hq.  We drilled on Saturday mornings, and the cadets themselves came up with the idea of a pre-meetng breakfast.  Once a cadet earned his Curry, the other cadets invited him to the breakfast.  Got to be something of a tradition.

Now?  I'm on a Group staff (no cadets) and we pop into a Beef O'Brady's.

Another former CAP officer

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on December 29, 2008, 05:57:08 AM

Yip, that rings a bell. For whatever reason, I was thinking Gratiot, but I knew that wasn't right.

(And for those of you not from Michigan, that word is pronounced GRASH-it, not GRAY-tee-yot.)

"The rest of us don't comment on it much"? Do tell. PM me if you must.... inquiring minds want to know.

I remember a little burger-and-beer place just north (maybe two miles) from the main gate at SANGB.  Had a western theme as I recall.  Go straight out the main gate, turn left at the next majot intersection, and the bar was on the left.  Used to have that remote-control trivia game there.  Cant recall the name of the place, though.

Not as good as the Mole Hole, but it stayed open after the Mole Hole and the old Officers Club closed their doors forever!
Another former CAP officer

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 04, 2009, 07:43:22 AM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on December 29, 2008, 05:57:08 AM

I remember a little burger-and-beer place just north (maybe two miles) from the main gate at SANGB.  Had a western theme as I recall.  Go straight out the main gate, turn left at the next majot intersection, and the bar was on the left.  Used to have that remote-control trivia game there.  Cant recall the name of the place, though.

Not as good as the Mole Hole, but it stayed open after the Mole Hole and the old Officers Club closed their doors forever!

After meetings at Van Dyke, I knew I had to high-tail it back to Dearborn, where I lived, so I was usually out fairly quick. I-75 to I-94 to Michigan Avenue to Mercury Drive....

Bishopse

As a cadet, the cadet staff would "retire" to Applebee's.  It was always sort of known but not official that it was a honor to be invited to go with them.  I got honored one night and I don't think I missed a "meeting" for many years.  This tradition evolved with the regular roll over of cadet staff and we eventually moved to a place called Cheddar's. No real reason just closer to some of the new staffs homes.
The names of these places, as teen agers do, quickly got butchered in to some thing more amusing.  Applebees became applebleeds and evolved in to simply Bleeds.  Cheddar's really didn't evolve it just became cheesing.
I got old, became a senior, transfered to a diffrent squadron and on to wing staff.  I don't think that particular tradition at that squadron, started long before I got there and continuing for some time after I left, is still active. Its just a diffrent culture now.
The wing staff usually find something to eat after wing staff meetings and a lot of "Hanger Talk" goes on at those get togeathers and maybe a little bit of business.
I know that there are still squadrons in my wing at which this type of activity still occurs.  I am not currently part of one of these "groups" but have many fond and funny memories.
;)
Overly involved in CAP!