Main Menu

Steve Fossett

Started by Flying Pig, October 01, 2008, 04:37:26 PM

Flying Pig

Fox new reports today that Steve Fossett's pilots license and a sweat shirt reported as belonging to him were found on a hiking trail in Mammoth Lakes CA, in Mono County.   The local Law Enforcement agency confirmed the license was in fact Fossett's.  Hmmmmm, the mystery continues.

♠SARKID♠

Interesting, link to an online article?

Edit - got it on TV

Eclipse

Link?
I don't see any mention on their web site and Google is a goose-egg on a search.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

I dont think an article is out yet.  It came out as "Breaking News" about 10 minutes ago on the local news.  Local being, Fresno County (where I am) borders Mono County.  The Fire Capt who found the items while hiking is actually still being interviewed.  So literaly, still developing.

♠SARKID♠

Just turned on the national FOX news, they're on commercial and will supposedly give info after the break.

Eclipse

I think this'll be a pretty big story by this evening if its true.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Im thinking I may be searching Mammoth Lakes via helicopter in the next day or two should this pan out.

Now the Chief is putting a team together to start searching within the hour.  Ummmm, Chief....just a suggestion, stand by until you get all the info and let the SAR professionals sort this out before you send people to the winds.

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 01, 2008, 04:51:57 PM
Im thinking I may be searching Mammoth Lakes via helicopter in the next day or two should this pan out.

Now the Chief is putting a team together to start searching within the hour.  Ummmm, Chief....just a suggestion, stand by until you get all the info and let the SAR professionals sort this out before you send people to the winds.

Reports say within the hour - suit up :)

Flying Pig

We'll see.  Mammoth Lakes PD is a very small, 10-12 man department that patrols a resort town.  This will probably be deferred to Mono County Sheriff.  Mammoth Lakes PD probably has a couple officers on the SAR team. More than likely, CHP will send their helo since they cover that area.  Fresno County will go if requested, but most likely not.

_

Fox news is reporting the Mammoth Lakes Sheriff is leading a team of whoever he can find to go up to the location to look around.

Expect any news coming out of that search to be reported by Fox news, the sheriff is apparently a fan of them.

Flying Pig

Just to clarify..

He is the Chief of Police for the City of Mammoth Lakes Police.  Mammoth Lakes is a resort town of 7000 people in Mono County.  As we all know, the Sheriff is responsible for SAR, not the Police Chief.  He is sending his men waaaaaaay outside his city limits.  Im sure Mono S.O. is doing what needs to be done, but no doubt, the Chief is going to ride the wave as long as he can.

_

Fox news is going to be interviewing one of the hikers in the next couple minutes.

bosshawk

I just posted the same general news under ES: guess that the moderator needs to combine them.

I saw the CNN interview and the Chief of Police correctly stated that the Sheriff of Mono County would be the IC on this operation.  Just talked to the DO of CAWG and we believe that we will also be called.

Standing by.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

MIKE

Rather than merge, I nuked it 'cause it's covered here.
Mike Johnston

_

The hiker found id's and hundred dollar bills off trail along a ridge near the minaret mine.  He located these items on Monday.  He didn't recognize the name so wasn't looking for an aircraft.  The sweatshirt was found yesterday.

_

Minaret Mine: Google Maps

The hiker was trying to make it to the mine but didn't get there so went to the top of a ridge nearby.

flyerthom

Just a caution fellows, please do not speculate about how or what happened. We haven't done that. You can bet that less than positive people have already googled into here and will follow our conversation.  OPSEC isn't just for CD and Homeland Security. Take a "timeout" and consider before hitting the post button.

TC

notaNCO forever

I don't think it can be considered as OPSEC when it's on TV.