Main Menu

Past Leadership

Started by SAR-EMT1, May 26, 2007, 06:49:01 AM

flyguy06

Gen Anderson, Gen Cass, Gen Harwell in my opinion

ELTHunter

What made them "good" leaders?  This is truly a inquisitive question, and not a challenging one.  Earlier in this thread Gen. Harwell was accused of precipitating the infamous maroon epaulets.  I have heard varying stories about General Cass, from him being  a great guy, to being a little off his rocker.  Everything I have heard about both men, however, has been anecdotal.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

JC004

Quote from: ELTHunter on May 29, 2007, 01:24:13 AM
Earlier in this thread Gen. Harwell was accused of precipitating the infamous maroon epaulets.

Well, that is lasting change, isn't it?  It still impacts us to this day (gray).  Sustainable change is a hallmark of quality leadership.   :)

afgeo4

Quote from: JC004 on May 29, 2007, 01:29:41 AM
Earlier in this thread Gen. Harwell was accused of precipitating the infamous maroon epaulets.

Well, that is lasting change, isn't it?  It still impacts us to this day (gray).  Sustainable change is a hallmark of quality leadership.   :)
Oh so Gen McPeak was a quality leader?
GEORGE LURYE

mikeylikey

Quote from: afgeo4 on May 29, 2007, 01:40:00 AM

He was a quality something.  Perhaps quality visionary, quality tailor or quality fabric designer.
What's up monkeys?

JC004

Quote from: afgeo4 on May 29, 2007, 01:40:00 AM

By my stretched definition...Uh hu.

RAZOR

CAP has "VANGUARD", please use it.

afgeo4

Quote from: RAZOR on May 29, 2007, 02:12:02 AM

You mean VANGUARD has CAP, don't you? And you mean by the testicles, right?

Our members pay to work for the DoD. We even pay for the uniforms (which are mandatory to do the work). The least they could do is allow us to buy those uniforms at the lowest price possible. Obviously that isn't the issue since most of our high grade brass are quite well off financially. In fact, I'm not sure one could get that high in grade and position if one isn't.
GEORGE LURYE

mikeylikey

Quote from: afgeo4 on May 29, 2007, 02:34:07 AM
Quote from: RAZOR on May 29, 2007, 02:12:02 AM

You mean VANGUARD has CAP, don't you? And you mean by the testicles, right?

Our members pay to work for the DoD. We even pay for the uniforms (which are mandatory to do the work). The least they could do is allow us to buy those uniforms at the lowest price possible. Obviously that isn't the issue since most of our high grade brass are quite well off financially. In fact, I'm not sure one could get that high in grade and position if one isn't.

I estimate $55.00 as the minimum cost of a uniform.  Go to WALMART.....get grey trousers, pickup black shoes, order your cap polo and your done!
What's up monkeys?

afgeo4

Well that's fine and dandy if you don't want to work with cadets or do SAR/HLS. Oh wait, what else is there...? AE! Yes, it's the perfect uniform for Aerospace Education!

As for the rest of us, the uniforms are VERY expensive. Especially for those of us who aren't well off financially. Should volunteer service to our country be limited to those with large bank accounts?
GEORGE LURYE

JC004

Quote from: afgeo4 on May 29, 2007, 02:46:17 AM
Well that's fine and dandy if you don't want to work with cadets or do SAR/HLS. Oh wait, what else is there...? AE! Yes, it's the perfect uniform for Aerospace Education!

As for the rest of us, the uniforms are VERY expensive. Especially for those of us who aren't well off financially. Should volunteer service to our country be limited to those with large bank accounts?

Just one reason why I've been saying that our leadership needs to simplify things (uniforms for one) and help reduce the burden on the member however possible. 

SAR-EMT1

1) So what did Gen. Anderson bring to the table during his tenure?
2) Who were some 'good' USAF National Commanders?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

flyguy06

The time when actual USAF officers were Commanders were wayyyyy back in the day. Idoubt ther earemany people still in CAP that remember that era. I oined CAP in 1984 soit had too be at leats 30 years prior to that.
I liked Gen Anderson 1 because he was a former cadet and Spatzz cadet at that so he understands the cadet programand was a big cheerleader for it. And secondly because he was the national Commander while simoultaniously he was also an active duty Air Force Lt Col. stationed at Maxwell, so he was able to be that connecting force between CAP and the Air Force. he didnt represent CAP in his Air Force assignemt so there was still that seperation but he knew the right people to talak to to get what the organization needed.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: lordmonar on May 27, 2007, 11:18:55 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on May 27, 2007, 05:48:26 PM
Ok, A KC-135 ride and a F-15 ride. two totally different animals

That is true....but on the same note....you don't see a lot of O-rides for AD folks anymore either.

The relationship is still there....you just have to work it.

I think the heavies are better anyway, more bang for the buck...

All the squadron's I have been in have never had an issue arranging military O' Flights.  My last squadron got them in chinooks at Ft. Eustis in VA, the one before that was KC-135s a few times a year...you just have to be willing to invest the time to set it up. 

Granted, to get the first one took about 5 months to clear the channels, but once they were clear, traffic flowed smoothly...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

ZigZag911

Quote from: flyguy06 on May 29, 2007, 05:00:19 AM
The time when actual USAF officers were Commanders were wayyyyy back in the day. Idoubt ther earemany people still in CAP that remember that era. I oined CAP in 1984 soit had too be at leats 30 years prior to that.

Actually the changeover (from Nat'l Board Chairman to Nat'l CC) occurred 1 Sept 1975, in the last year of of Brig Gen Thomas Patterson's term....he transitioned from board chair to national CC, first CAP volunteer to serve in that position.

At the time I was a 2 Lt on a group staff (cadet programs officer), after topping out with an Earhart in 1973....so I very clearly recall that 'prehistoric' age!

flyguy06

Quote from: ZigZag911 on May 29, 2007, 06:15:03 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on May 29, 2007, 05:00:19 AM

Actually the changeover (from Nat'l Board Chairman to Nat'l CC) occurred 1 Sept 1975, in the last year of of Brig Gen Thomas Patterson's term....he transitioned from board chair to national CC, first CAP volunteer to serve in that position.

At the time I was a 2 Lt on a group staff (cadet programs officer), after topping out with an Earhart in 1973....so I very clearly recall that 'prehistoric' age!

I was six years old in 1975

ZigZag911

Quote from: flyguy06 on May 29, 2007, 10:17:08 PM
I was six years old in 1975

I presume you weren't a cadet at that age?