Support my campaign to the USAFA

Started by C/MSgt Lunsford, April 25, 2010, 08:19:18 PM

Pylon

Quote from: JThemann on April 26, 2010, 04:47:44 AM
I'm obviously not at the Air Force Academy, but I am finishing my last year at school, and I can tell you getting nominated and/or accepted at any university is not a popularity contest. A lot of my buddies at work or in school who are going for advanced degrees (Pharm. Ds, MD/DO, or even RT, RN, AEMT-P, etc et) don't plan on a facebook page as part of their application. It's not a popularity contest. It's about great grades, good extracurricular activities, (for the Academies) playing a sport, and being able to present yourself well in an interview. Obviously we all support you getting into the USAFA, but us being a fan of it on facebook is not going to advance that process one iota.

Actually, I'd say that's bad information on the whole.  You can't make a sweeping generalization like that. Concepts like admissions videos have been around for well over a decade and have indeed influenced admissions committees.  Even world-class universities like Tufts have turned to places like Facebook and YouTube to see how their applicants stand out from the crowd. 

http://www.boston.com/news/education/higher/articles/2010/02/21/a_fresh_pitch_on_u_tube/
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/23/education/23tufts.html

Since both of us have said, however, that we don't have particular experience with the Air Force Academy, (and since obviously they have their own culture and way of doing things) I think the most helpful thing Cadet Lunsford could do here is what has already been recommended: Talk to USAFA representatives, work on his whole admissions package, and speak with USAFA grads to get their input.   Making sweeping (and untrue) generalizations probably won't help him much.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

DBlair

Wow, I'm not even sure where to start... First, a few comments, questions, and suggestions...

First of all, I commend you for wanting to serve in the military, and also for striving to attend the Air Force Academy. I know many Academy graduates and they were all outstanding applicants and ultimately outstanding officers. Likewise, as some of you may know, I'm very active politically, and I know many of these elected officials and what they/their appointment committees are going to be looking for. With this in mind, I'll start with the following...

- What is with the "Vote 2012" thing? You are not running for office and this is not a popularity contest. It makes you look immature and clueless as to how the appointment process works- not that this Facebook page doesn't overall, anyway. Not to mention, the Obama-esque photoshopping probably won't go over well. My honest suggestion: delete the page.

- Perhaps you can let us know what qualifies you to receive the appointment. What are some of your accomplishments, activities, involvement/community service, and other things that will set you apart from the many many people also competing for a spot?

- What is your physical fitness level like? What is your mile time and your 3 mile time? Do you play any sports?

- What are your grades/SATs like?

- Aren't you the Cadet who was saying that he couldn't participate in some aspects of encampment or the Cadet Program because of physical issues?

- How old are you and what grade are you in school?

- What have you accomplished thus far in the Cadet Program? Being a C/SSgt won't wow them when there are probably a ton of C/LtCols and C/Cols, and probably just as many Eagle Scouts competing for the same spot. My advice, get some diamonds on your collar.

- My Advice: Speak to USAFA representatives, liaison staff, and Academy graduates.

I commend you for trying to be creative, but this Facebook group just isn't going to work, especially as currently presented. Many of us here are more than willing to give you guidance and suggestions as to how to get an appointment, and so I urge you to take our suggestions and ask for other comments/suggestions as to what you can do to increase your chances. We all want you to succeed, so please don't think we are trying to tear you down. Rather, we want to help you succeed, and in that spirit you should consider the comments we make about this facebook page, etc.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

raivo

All I'm gonna say is that the SERE instructors would have a field day.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

JC004

baaaaad way to do this.  All the "vote" stuff and the photos make it sound really silly.  If you really want to have a Facebook page for this, take Pylon's advice to the letter.  There is no voting or campaigning to be done, so using that terminology makes it sound like a joke.

vmstan

I'm in the camp of "this is a really horrible idea, take it down now"

You're just asking for trouble.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

Star-Maker

I can understand wanting to have a good online presence, since college admissions committees do search applicants online to see what they have out there.  But your online presence can hurt as well as help.  This is likely to come across as desperate and presumptuous.

Have you considered creating a LinkedIn profile?  Not to get into the Academy specifically, but as part of having a positive online presence?  LinkedIn is a professionally-oriented site.
"The star-maker says 'It ain't so bad.'" - The Killers

GTL, GTM1, UDF, MRO

CUL(T), MS(T), MSA(T)

bosshawk

There are several CTers who have stated that college admissions committees regularly review social media to see what some of their applicants are doing or have done.  I can't speak for Air Force or Navy, but I can tell you that West Point and its admissions committee simply does not have the time nor the inclination to do that.  This academic year we had over 12,000 files opened and somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 or 6000 applications completed.  We will admit a class, in June, of about 1350-1375.  You do the math, the members of the admissions committee don't have the time to do that kind of research, when the candidate pool is so well-qualified.  In addition, the members of the admissions committee are full-time teachers.

I think that this young man has gotten both good and bad advice about his plan to do a Facebook account to help him get into the AF Academy.  He is probably hiding behind a desk, with all of the shouting from us seniors.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Fifinella

Cadet Lunsford,

Nice initiative.  You are thinking creatively. 

I don't want to "dogpile on the rabbit".  I do recommend that if you decide to keep this page, you take Pylon's advice - think of this as an online resume, and revise accordingly.  Tip: there should be NO typos/spelling errors.  The AF is pretty keen on "attention to detail".  And, to clarify one detail, Academy classes are designated by the year they graduate, not the year they enter.  I suspect you really are interested in being accepted for the Class of 2016.

USAFA will probably not go looking for social media pages when they review your application.  But your congressperson/senator's staff might.  Just in case, you might want to review your CAPTalk signature block too.  I would recommend you delete USAF from it, and the "Maddog" moniker too.  Google yourself, and see if the hits that come up demonstrate a professional image.  If they don't, revise or delete them.

Regardless of your decision about maintaining this fb page, if your goal is to gain an appointment to USAFA, make sure you are very familiar w the admissions preparation guidelines listed at http://www.academyadmissions.com/#Page/Preparation.  Read the curriculum guidelines, and make sure you are taking appropriate classes.  Work on the recommended physical fitness areas.  Demonstrate leadership ability.  Since CAP is one of your chosen activities, advance as far as you can in Cadet Programs.  Promote, and earn positions of responsibility.  Prepare for the ACT/SAT.

As a quick guideline, here is some entry info on the Class of 2012 (9001 applicants, 1348 accepted):

Class Presidents – 10%, Varsity Letter – 1016, # 1 in class – 108
Average GPA – 3.86
Average SAT – 1305 (Verbal 600-680, Math 630-690)
Average ACT – English 29 (27-31), Math 29.7 (28-31),
   Science 29.1 (27-31), Reading 30 (28-32)

This is a big undertaking, but there are plenty of guidelines out there to, well, guide you.

Please feel free to stop by my Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Judy-LaValley-ALO/107988119222810

Best of Luck ~ Major LaValley
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Thrashed

It takes a congressional nomination to get into the USAFA.  I won't list the personal qualifications that you need to compete. The list is too long.  Lose the website.  I'd deny you if I saw it. Talk to academy cadets and the USAFA people to get advice on how to get in.  Facebook will NOT help, it will hurt you.

Save the triangle thingy

AirAux

Having seen several of Cadet Lunsford's posts in the past, I think some of this was tongue in cheek and enthusiasm and that his facebook posting is more along the lines of motivation for him than anything else.  It does show intuitive which is a good thing and it does show an understanding of political endeavors, of which the academy appointment is utmost.  Do find yourself a likely winner in the next campaign and work hard for him so he will be willing to give you a nomination.  Without a Congressman's or Senator's nomination, you have nothing.  All of the good grades in the world don't make it without the nomination.  If the facebook stuff helps keep you motivated, go for it.  It's a whole new game out there and you young guys/girls are writing the rules..  Not that I necessarily like it but, it is what it is..

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: JThemann on April 26, 2010, 04:47:44 AM
Quote from: C/SSgt Lunsford on April 25, 2010, 10:48:42 PM
Quote from: JThemann on April 25, 2010, 10:16:51 PM
I don't understand. Who is the audience for this? Did you get this idea from a CAP cadet or an USAFA cadet?
CAP Cadet. The audience is supporters and anyone who looks at my Facebook from the Academy or Senators, etc.

I'm obviously not at the Air Force Academy, but I am finishing my last year at school, and I can tell you getting nominated and/or accepted at any university is not a popularity contest. A lot of my buddies at work or in school who are going for advanced degrees (Pharm. Ds, MD/DO, or even RT, RN, AEMT-P, etc et) don't plan on a facebook page as part of their application. It's not a popularity contest. It's about great grades, good extracurricular activities, (for the Academies) playing a sport, and being able to present yourself well in an interview. Obviously we all support you getting into the USAFA, but us being a fan of it on facebook is not going to advance that process one iota.

Understand that I am not trying to make this a "popularity contest". This is pretty much a public profile for Senators, Boards, etc who will look at my Facebook profile.

Wright Brothers #13915

C/CMSgt

Quote from: Marshalus on April 27, 2010, 12:52:07 AM
I'm in the camp of "this is a really horrible idea, take it down now"

You're just asking for trouble.

As bad and cruel it may sound, I agree 100% with this.

C/MSgt Lunsford

I know I need a Congressional or Presidential Nomination to be considered for the USAFA, that is what I am working on now.

I will be taking many ideas that were posted and fullfilling them.

Thanks for those who have suggested ideas.

Wright Brothers #13915

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: bosshawk on April 27, 2010, 05:10:34 PM
There are several CTers who have stated that college admissions committees regularly review social media to see what some of their applicants are doing or have done.  I can't speak for Air Force or Navy, but I can tell you that West Point and its admissions committee simply does not have the time nor the inclination to do that.  This academic year we had over 12,000 files opened and somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 or 6000 applications completed.  We will admit a class, in June, of about 1350-1375.  You do the math, the members of the admissions committee don't have the time to do that kind of research, when the candidate pool is so well-qualified.  In addition, the members of the admissions committee are full-time teachers.

I think that this young man has gotten both good and bad advice about his plan to do a Facebook account to help him get into the AF Academy.  He is probably hiding behind a desk, with all of the shouting from us seniors.

I am mature enough to intake all the constructive criticism. All this facebook page is for, is to put myself out there,  and to gain support from my friends, family, and CAP.

I don't fairly see anything wrong with this Facebook group I have started but... I see were some people are coming from.

Wright Brothers #13915

Nathan

Quote from: C/SSgt Lunsford on April 28, 2010, 09:32:45 PM
I don't fairly see anything wrong with this Facebook group I have started but... I see were some people are coming from.

Have you run this page by any current USAFA cadets and gotten their opinion on it? That might be the safest way to deal with this if you want a current perspective on whether or not it will be a good move.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Short Field

Quote from: Star-Maker on April 27, 2010, 02:29:22 PM
I can understand wanting to have a good online presence, since college admissions committees do search applicants online to see what they have out there.  But your online presence can hurt as well as help. 
I never deal with anyone anymore without checking out their on-line presence.   It is rare that I find a on-line presence that significantly improves my opinion of them and more often lowers my opinion of them. 

Employers and school admission officers like to check for the wild party pics with the person getting blasted or holding drug paraphernalia.  One young Captain I know states on her Facebook profile that she is good in bed.  Not really the image she wants to portray.  You have very little to gain an a lot to lose.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

thevoice

Quote from: Short Field on April 28, 2010, 09:55:36 PM
Quote from: Star-Maker on April 27, 2010, 02:29:22 PM
I can understand wanting to have a good online presence, since college admissions committees do search applicants online to see what they have out there.  But your online presence can hurt as well as help. 
I never deal with anyone anymore without checking out their on-line presence.   It is rare that I find a on-line presence that significantly improves my opinion of them and more often lowers my opinion of them. 

Employers and school admission officers like to check for the wild party pics with the person getting blasted or holding drug paraphernalia.  One young Captain I know states on her Facebook profile that she is good in bed.  Not really the image she wants to portray.  You have very little to gain an a lot to lose.

Thought this was a good idea, so did a quick google search on Lt Col Mad Dog Lunsford.

http://www.wreckamovie.com/shots/show/4569

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/446810.page;jsessionid=D4A73405931A3C816CBDFF331C882BFD#4166372

Curious if all the Nazi documentation he created is just a hobby or a political idea he supports?

Good luck getting into the Academy.

RobertAmphibian

I'm a long time lurker, but something about this thread made me eager to register and comment.  Sgt Lunsford, I'm in the same boat as you as far as being a cadet wanting to attend a service academy. Here are my comments:

I think we all appreciate the "campaign" element of your page is tongue in cheek. (good work on removing the pictures, by the way) However, it makes it look like you have no actual knowledge of the process. BTW, you misspelled Congressional among other errors. From my limited understanding of the service academy application process, it seems kind of ridiculous to worry about the nomination more than anything else at this point. Can you even get a nomination until your senior year?
Also, the things anybody outside of CAP are going to care about in regards to your CAP career are a)what your last grade was (and your milestones) and b)leadership positions you've held, activities you've attended, etc. Anybody on an admissions board can figure out that if you achieve your Mitchell, you were a C/SrA some time ago. 

What it boils down to is getting attention, but the RIGHT kind of attention. If somebody can google you and find ties to Nazi characters you created in a video game and find quotes of you talking casually about Human Experiments, that's probably not what you want as an online presence. Take everybody else's advice here and focus on school, sports and leadership. Ditch the facebook.

AirDX

Wow.  Lose the FB group.  And spell your name correctly in your profile, unless you actually have an umlaut over the u.  That's pure cute, and the AF doesn't do cute.

If you want to get in to an academy (and kudos for the thought and effort): Play a sport.  Or two.  Take AP classes.  Take all the math and science you can.  Get a good GPA.  Volunteer in the community (not just CAP).  Spend a couple hours a week shelving books at the public library, or at the food bank, or at the local hospital.  Excel in CAP.

All that will keep you pretty busy, but in the end, if you get what you want it's worth it.

Just in general for facebook users:

6 Career-Killing Facebook Mistakes

by Erin Joyce, Managing Editor
Wednesday, April 7, 2010
provided by

With more than 400 million active visitors, Facebook is arguably the most popular social networking site out there. And while the site is known for the casual social aspect, many users also use it as a professional networking tool. With that kind of reach, Facebook can be a valuable tool for connecting to former and current colleagues, clients and potential employers. In fact, surveys suggest that approximately 30% of employers are using Facebook to screen potential employees — even more than those who check LinkedIn, a strictly professional social networking site. Don't make these Facebook faux-pas — they might cost you a great opportunity.

1. Inappropriate Pictures

It may go without saying, but prospective employers or clients don't want to see pictures of you chugging a bottle of wine or dressed up for a night at the bar. Beyond the pictures you wouldn't want your grandparents to see, seemingly innocent pictures of your personal life will likely not help to support the persona you want to present in your professional life.

2. Complaining About Your Current Job
You've no doubt done this at least once. It could be a full note about how much you hate your office, or how incompetent your boss is, or it could be as innocent as a status update about how your coworker always shows up late. While everyone complains about work sometimes, doing so in a public forum where it can be found by others is not the best career move. Though it may seem innocent, it's not the kind of impression that sits well with a potential boss.
3. Providing Conflicting Information to Your Resume

If you say on your resume that your degree is from Harvard, but your Facebook profile says you went to UCLA, you're likely to be immediately cut from the interview list. Even if the conflict doesn't leave you looking better on your resume, disparities will make you look at worst like a liar, and at best careless.

4. Statuses You Wouldn't Want Your Boss to See
Everyone should know to avoid statuses like "Tom plans to call in sick tomorrow so he can get drunk on a Wednesday. Who cares that my big work project isn't done?" But you should also be aware of less flamboyant statuses like "Sarah is watching the gold medal hockey game online at her desk". Statuses that imply you are unreliable, deceitful, and basically anything that doesn't make you look as professional as you'd like, can seriously undermine your chances at landing that new job.

5. Not Understanding Your Security Settings

The security settings on Facebook have come a long way since the site started. It is now possible to customize lists of friends and decide what each list can and cannot see. However, many people do not fully understand these settings, or don't bother to check who has access to what. If you are going to use Facebook professionally, and even if you aren't, make sure you take the time to go through your privacy options. At the very least, your profile should be set so that people who are not your friend cannot see any of your pictures or information.

6. Losing by Association
You can't control what your friends post to your profile (although you can remove it once you see it), nor what they post to their own profiles or to those of mutual friends. If a potential client or employer sees those Friday night pictures your friend has tagged you in where he is falling down drunk, it reflects poorly on you, even if the picture of you is completely innocent. It's unfortunate, but we do judge others by the company they keep, at least to some extent. Take a look at everything connected to your profile, and keep an eye out for anything you wouldn't want to show your mother.

Facebook Can Help You Get Hired ... or Fired
The best advice is to lock down your personal profile so that only friends you approve can see anything on that profile. Then, create a second, public profile on Facebook purely for professional use. This profile functions like an online resume, and should only contain information you'd be comfortable telling your potential employer face to face. Having a social networking profile is a good thing — it presents you as technologically and professionally savvy. Just make sure your profile is helping to present your best side — not the side that got drunk at your buddy's New Year's party.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

Short Field

^^^ Good advice.  I have nieces and nephews I don't "friend" because I don't want my friends to know I associate with that type of people.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640