ICUT Skills Evaluator

Started by Capmonkey, April 17, 2018, 04:35:56 PM

Capmonkey

To start off with, I understand there is a thread with this topic already, but seems to be locked. I have a quick question about cadets evaluating ICUT. First, can cadets evaluate ICUT? As I understand it looking in the regs (and the previously mentioned thread), you have to be part of the Communications Staff, be qualified in ICUT for more than a year, and be SET qualified. If a cadet is made Cadet Communications Officer of the Squadron, will this fulfill the Communications Staff requirement? Secondly, it was also previously mentioned that the request for a cadet to evaluate in ICUT would have to be passed to the Wing CC? Does this stand as well? The reason I'm asking is my Sq. currently has a Communications Officer, but he is inactive, and thoughts came up about appointing me Cadet Communications Officer (I am qualified in ICUT, as well as MRO, and have my Amateur Radio License.) Any help would be appreciated in answering these questions!

Thanks!
C/Maj Capmonkey

arajca

There should be no issue with a qualified cadet signing off on I-CUT. That being said, your wing communications staff would be the best place for information on I-CUT evaluators.

Capmonkey

Capmonkey

Looks like I have found the answer. From CAPR 100-1:

5.2.3. Communications staff member recorded in eServices at any level, including cadets, may serve as mentors/evaluators. All mentors/evaluators must have completed ICUT and Skills Evaluator Training (SET) before they may supervise performance of skills and procedures of ICUT students.  The mandatory standardized checklists and guidelines for mentors/evaluators may be found by qualified evaluators in the Communications section of eServices.

Thanks for all the help!
C/Maj Capmonkey

SarDragon

The operative word here is "may".

Here in my part of the world, wing certifies all SETs. It's not an automatic thing. For instance, MROs, UDFs, and GTxs can't be SETs for the same level. Sign-offs for those ratings must be done by CULS and GTLs.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CAP9907

Quote from: SarDragon on April 18, 2018, 09:14:10 PM

Here in my part of the world, wing certifies all SETs. It's not an automatic thing. For instance, MROs, UDFs, and GTxs can't be SETs for the same level. Sign-offs for those ratings must be done by CULS and GTLs.

Agree, same here... "May" in no way means it will certainly happen.
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

ßτε

Here in my part of the world, wing certifies all SETs. It's not an automatic thing.

True for ES evualutors, but from my experience, ICUT evaluator appointments are automatic for those who meet the requirements.

For instance, MROs, UDFs, and GTxs can't be SETs for the same level. Sign-offs for those ratings must be done by CULS and GTLs.

This is no longer true in CAWG.

SarDragon

Quote from: ßτε on April 18, 2018, 09:53:28 PM

Here in my part of the world, wing certifies all SETs. It's not an automatic thing.

True for ES evualutors, but from my experience, ICUT evaluator appointments are automatic for those who meet the requirements.

For instance, MROs, UDFs, and GTxs can't be SETs for the same level. Sign-offs for those ratings must be done by CULS and GTLs.

When did it change?

<invokes Emily Litella> I just reviewed the new supplement more thoroughly.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NovemberWhiskey

I'm rather new around here, but the way I understand it is as follows: ICUT is not an ES specialty qualification, and so the rules for evaluators in CAPR 60-3 are not prima facie applicable.

A plain reading of that part of CAPR 100-1 would be that the "may" indicates the decision to act as an evaluator is discretionary for the potential evaluator rather than mandatory.

Capmonkey

I was appointed Cadet Communications Officer for my Squadron, and am now able to evaluate ICUT. It shows as SET qualified on my 101 card, so the regulation was correct. It was in fact automatic, and did not need to go to Wing for approval. Thank you for all of your help, and the question has been answered.

N6RVT

Quote from: ßτε on April 18, 2018, 09:53:28 PM

It must have changed very recently - I just noticed last night I was a skill evaluator for ICUT.   I never asked for it nor was I informed that I had been so appointed.

I certainly have no objection - but it did just happen without my input.  Possibly because I am a CUL(t)

Geber

Quote from: Schrödinger's hat on April 19, 2018, 01:49:27 PM
It must have changed very recently - I just noticed last night I was a skill evaluator for ICUT.   I never asked for it nor was I informed that I had been so appointed.

I certainly have no objection - but it did just happen without my input.  Possibly because I am a CUL(t)

In eServices (Ops Quals -> Reports -> ICUT Completion Report)  the report states why a certain airman isn't an ICUT evaluator, but no report about why an airman is an evaluator. From looking a various reports of airmen who weren't, but later became evaluators, in the last 6 months, I think the requirements are:

• Compete ICUT
  • Complete SET
  • Be a member of the communications staff

Capmonkey

Correct! You must be qualified in ICUT, be a qualified SET, and hold a Communications Staff position to be SET qualified in ICUT. CAPR 100-1 and the paragraph mentioned previously covers this.

Starbird

Quote from: Capmonkey on April 19, 2018, 02:09:17 PM
Correct! You must be qualified in ICUT, be a qualified SET, and hold a Communications Staff position to be SET qualified in ICUT. CAPR 100-1 and the paragraph mentioned previously covers this.

What exactly counts as being a "member of the communications staff"?

Capmonkey

You must either be the Communications Officer, or the Cadet Communications Officer in the squadron as assigned in EServices.

Geber

Quote from: Capmonkey on April 24, 2018, 05:06:26 PM
You must either be the Communications Officer, or the Cadet Communications Officer in the squadron as assigned in EServices.

From personal experience, it is sufficient to be squadron assistant communications officer.

Eclipse

Quote from: Geber on April 24, 2018, 06:07:14 PM
Quote from: Capmonkey on April 24, 2018, 05:06:26 PM

From personal experience, it is sufficient to be squadron assistant communications officer.

Or honestly anyone the Unit CC designates and approves as such.

Seriously, we're talking about a radio card here, not Communication Tower Climber.  If a wing is making
noise about "too many" or "has to be a CUL" (wow, seriously?), they need to re-evaluate priorities.

The steps are clearly laid out and simple.  Do. Click. Next problem.

"That Others May Zoom"