Main Menu

testing

Started by ryan s, October 06, 2006, 08:12:17 PM

ryan s

OK I'm new so next meeting I'm testing for the first time so everyone told me the first test is very easy but i was studying the stuff and i don't think its going to be can anyone tell me what to expect?
cadet airman Ryan scott
ner-ny-135 compsite sq.

capchiro

Ryan, new tests were issued to each squadron and should have gone into affect on October 1, 2006.  With that said, the new tests appear to be easier to comprehend and therefore easier to pass.  Some of language on the old tests was troublesome and affected young cadets scores because they were not familiar with the words.  There is a website that is referred to as Cadet Help that has practice tests and review guides.  Please take a practice test or two and study the review for the first test, which is the Curry Exam.  The website is http://www.geocities.com/cadethelp/  If you do the practice tests and study the review guide, you should pass the test.  If you have received your material, books, from National, read the Curry Material.  Also, there is a drill portion of the test.  Practice your drill, attention, saluting, left face, right face, etc. and it wouldn't hurt to know how to report to an officer either.  Good luck and if I can help you in anyway, contact me anytime.  Welcome to the finest youth program in the world and do enjoy yourself as you work your way through the ranks and become an officer.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Pylon

Quote from: ryan s on October 06, 2006, 08:12:17 PM
OK I'm new so next meeting I'm testing for the first time so everyone told me the first test is very easy but i was studying the stuff and i don't think its going to be can anyone tell me what to expect?

Ryan, welcome to Civil Air Patrol!

The tests are not daunting, but you do need to be familiar with the material.  The Curry achievement test you'll be taking is designed to test a lot of the basic information about Civil Air Patrol and followership.  You'll want to study the rank/grade strucutre of CAP and the various insignia, as well as read well Chapter 1 of your Leadership book. 

I also encourage you to check out some of the practice tests online.  As capchiro pointed out, "CadetHelp" has some practice exams, as does CadetStuff:  http://www.cadetstuff.org/archives/000111.html#000111

You can expect multiple choice questions to make up the exam, and a second portion of the test which tests your basic drill movements.  Capchiro had a lot of good advice in his post, including knowing how to report properly as well.  The things you're not familiar with or have questions about (like drill movements or the reporting thing) can be easily answered by a cadet in your chain of command, such as your flight sergeant.

Once you complete your Curry achievement by passing the written and drill exams, reciting your cadet oath, and attending a moral leadership session, and passing the Cadet Physical Fitness Test you'll be eligible for your first stripe and a whole great deal of opportunities!

Welcome to CAPTalk, as well!  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

ryan s

thank you alot those website links are really helpfull.
cadet airman Ryan scott
ner-ny-135 compsite sq.

ZigZag911

Be sure to READ the material!

Study like you should for any test in school....don't leave it till the last minute, do  some every day.

Look at some of the resources the other posters have mentioned.

Do the work, prepare, and you'll do OK.

Psicorp

Quote from: ryan s on October 06, 2006, 08:12:17 PM

First, congratulations on making the decision to join C.A.P..    To quote the late Sir Alec Guinness' character in "Star Wars", "You've just taken you first steps into a much larger world."

The Curry exam is, and should be, covering everything you should have learned since joining and have practiced during meetings, i.e. basic drill, saluting, reporting, etc as mentioned by others.   Know not only how to wear the uniform properly, but demostrate it too. Practice reporting...if you pass, you'll have to do it for real in order to get promoted.  Above all, use the resources available.  Never be afraid to ask questions...you're there to learn after all.

As with all things, what you're learning now is the fundamental building blocks of everything else you'll learn for the rest of you C.A.P. career.   Master the basics and things will fall into place over time.

Good Luck!!
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

afgeo4

Correction, study better than you study in school... (I've seen some of the cadets' studying habits).
GEORGE LURYE

ryan s

thank you everyone i passed my test and was promoted yesterday.
cadet airman Ryan scott
ner-ny-135 compsite sq.

Becks

Quote from: ryan s on October 19, 2006, 11:09:17 PM

Congratulations Cadet!   ;D

BBATW

Psicorp

Quote from: ryan s on October 19, 2006, 11:09:17 PM

Congratulations!! Wear it with pride, you've earned it!!
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257