helicopter noise bill /Suffolk NY

Started by Flying Pig, August 22, 2008, 04:05:20 PM

JayT

Quote from: Bobble on September 03, 2008, 02:29:26 PM
I don't live out at the airport, but I do live under the flight path.  Those rotary-wing aircraft are ferrying rich folk from their multi-million dollar NYC Upper East Side penthouses to their multi-million dollar Hampton McMansions.  Sure, you could move out there and live the life if'n you happen to be a movie star/rap star/entertainment industry mogul/Hedge Fund manager...  Not a lot out there in terms of jobs besides tourism and service (e.g., landscaping for the McMansions).

The noise doesn't bother me a bit.  Heck, I used to hot refuel Huey's and Loaches BITD.

Yeah, what part of the Island do you live on?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

PHall

So, is this bill going to be problem for the 102d Rescue Wing?  i.e. is there an exemption for the military, police, etc.?

Flying Pig

There is always an exemption for police anyway in the course of their duties.

JayT

Quote from: PHall on September 07, 2008, 08:13:18 PM
So, is this bill going to be problem for the 102d Rescue Wing?  i.e. is there an exemption for the military, police, etc.?

Actually sir, it's the 102 Rescue Squadron, with is part of the 106th Rescue Wing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/106th_Rescue_Wing
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

PHall

Quote from: JThemann on September 08, 2008, 01:46:15 PM

Actually sir, it's the 102 Rescue Squadron, with is part of the 106th Rescue Wing.

Okay, is it going to be a problem for them or not?

If you don't know, then say so and we will all move on.

JayT

Quote from: PHall on September 09, 2008, 02:07:42 AM
Quote from: JThemann on September 08, 2008, 01:46:15 PM

Okay, is it going to be a problem for them or not?

If you don't know, then say so and we will all move on.

The 106th is fairly well supported by the community around them. I've asked around the county government and got shrugs as a response.

NIN

Couple weeks back we had a big "boogie" at the dropzone where I skydive. Brought in a CASA 212 Aviocar in addition to the Twin Otter we normally have from Thursday to Sunday.

Sunday afternoon, I'm out by the beer line on the radio with our students when this older gentleman asks me if I'm "in charge." 

"No, sir, I'm not, but is there something I can help you with?"

"Well, you can start by telling me why that plane's been flying at tree top level twelve hours a day for the last three days.."

"Well, sir-"

"I mean, I live over there and they're flying that plane right at the tops of the trees and I'm sure that's gotta be illegal. I don't mind the planes other times, but why do you have to do it for 12 hours a day right now?"

"Sir, as you can see we have an event going on with skydivers from all over the Northeast.."

"Yeah, yeah, but why do they have to take off and fly that way?"

"Well, sir, I'm sure I can't answer that.. I'm sure the pilots are flying in a way that's consistent with the safe operation of the aircraft, but they're doing what they need to do.  That's a 36 place plane, but we have to  fly it light due to the runway length, and they have plenty of run out room off the end of runway 6 with those fields there."

"Yeah, but they're right at the tops of the trees!  I mean, the prevailing winds are going the other direction, why can't they take off going that way?"

(By now, I know that I'm dealing with a guy who is going to be pretty irrational..)

"Well, sir, I think you'd probably want to talk to Fran, the lady who runs the DZ, and she can answer those kinds of questions.."

"Oh, I don't want to talk to her. I'm fed up with this plane flying so low. That's gotta be illegal, I'm gonna call the FAA.."

"Sir, Fran and the pilots would be better able to address your concerns with the aircraft.."

"But the winds are coming out of the opposite direction, why isn't he taking off that way?"

(finally, I'm fed up with this guy)

"Sir, if you haven't noticed, there is a huge hill at that end of the runway.  If the plane took off in that direction with a full load of jumpers, I think you'd probably see plane parts and bodies strewn across a half mile of neighborhood over there. But you should really address this with Fran.."

"Oh, I'm not gonna talk to her, I'm just gonna call the FAA and get this place shut down.."

"Sir, let me get this straight. You came out here and asked me if I was in charge, which I am not.  I pointed you to the persons who can address your concerns, and you said you don't want to talk to them. Clearly, you're not hear to get any kind of resolution to your problem, but rather to vent at the one guy here who is probably in the least position to do anything about it.   So basically, all you want to do is hear yourself talk, right?"

"I'm gonna call the FAA.. they can't fly that low, its gotta be illegal!!"

"Sorry to burst your bubble, sir, but FAR 91.119 says that they can fly at whatever altitude they need to fly at during take off and landing.  And we have a noise abatement plan which I'm reasonably certain they're following.   So you can call the FAA, but I doubt it will do much good. Maybe you should have thought a little harder before you bought a house this close to an operating drop zone?"

He stomped off. :)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SJFedor

NIN, I hate to say this, but....

you totally pwnd that guy.  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

♠SARKID♠